Is radio "back": iHeart posts impressive numbers

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Is radio "back": iHeart posts impressive numbers

Postby kal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:44 pm

After a lengthy string of poor performance quarters, iHeartMedia posted a Q4 report for 2016 showing $100+ in earnings, a turnaround from a $90+ million loss in the corresponding quarter for fiscal 2015.

It's a complex business, so it is difficult to back up the "radio is back" contention but nonetheless it may stop persistent talk that the conglomerate was ready to be broken up.

More here:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/162996/surprise-iheartmedia-releases-q4-and-2016-financia
kal
Advanced Member

Re: Is radio "back": iHeart posts impressive numbers

Postby pave » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 am

20 billion in debt.
Sure. Everything's going swimmingly.
I suppose "not dying" can be framed as a positive.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:34 am

I don't get it (that much debt) either, but reading a bio of Ted Roger, Jr. showed me that even a modicum of fear of debt can mean the difference between Winners and Losers in some businesses. Rogers is as big a company as it is today thanks to Ted Rogers "pushing the envelope" on Debt as recently as the 1990s.

As a cautionary tale, an investment seminar a few years back explained that how much debt a company has varies, in terms of being a good investment, on the Industry. Or, in what the debt has bought. Hydro companies are expected to spend horrendous amounts of building dams and transmission lines, for example.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm

iHeart paid 1.8 billion in servicing the debt in 2016!
Yeah. I really want to be working for that gang.
There go the bonus cheques and the R&D budgets - not that R&D is a known concept anyway.
Certainly not the case on the radio side.

Cumulus, even with what is again becoming a penny stock and risking, also again, being bounced from the Nasdaq, and with a debt of over 2 billion looks like an in-the-black, flush, Wall Street bank by comparison.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News