Radio Ratings

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Radio Ratings

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Word is that Numeris has had such a hard time getting people to fill out diaries, that it has pulled the plug on the spring book for about 10 medium markets. I believe Kelowna is one of them. Anyone seen anything official?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Re: Radio Ratings

Postby kal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 pm

I've filled out Numeris diaries on several occasions. On the last set I drew the line at the extensive consumer survey ahead of the listening diary. I refused to fill this out. $5 for the radio diary, OK but I'm not providing all that additional information.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby DirkSteele » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 am

Howaboutthat wrote:Word is that Numeris has had such a hard time getting people to fill out diaries, that it has pulled the plug on the spring book for about 10 medium markets. I believe Kelowna is one of them. Anyone seen anything official?

Yep...

The Diary service is of significant importance to Members and a priority for Numeris. Similar to many research organizations, achieving targeted sample levels has become more of a challenge. It is becoming increasingly difficult to reach participants due to decreasing contact and cooperation. At the same time, populations are changing and shrinking, and household sizes are decreasing, further impacting sample usage and strain. These challenges can result in low sample returns in some markets, which can have an impact on the precision, or reliability, of audience estimates.
As an immediate response to reduce the strain on the available sample and preserve sample for the Fall 2018 Survey, Numeris will not be measuring the following Radio Central Markets (CTRL) during the Spring 2018 Radio Diary survey which runs from February 26th to April 22nd, 2018.

1. Saint John CTRL (NB) 6. Kingston CTRL (ON)
2. Windsor CTRL (ON) 7. Regina CTRL (SK)
3. Saskatoon CTRL (SK) 8. Lethbridge CTRL (AB)
4. Red Deer CTRL (AB) 9. Kelowna CTRL (BC)
5. Kamloops CTRL (BC) 10. Prince George CTRL (BC)

....survey less to improve accuracy. Sure.
DirkSteele
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:42 am

Huh? Couldn't they have just said they don't want to lose anymore diary keepers that participate already and are only going to ask the current ones once a year to earn $5? Doesn't sound like a valid survey to me. Yeah we'll just keep asking the same $5 crowd to keep listening and filling in the diary until we all give up. Hey and we'll do it for half the budget to boot.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:21 am

Rocky wrote:Huh? Couldn't they have just said they don't want to lose anymore diary keepers that participate already and are only going to ask the current ones once a year to earn $5? Doesn't sound like a valid survey to me. Yeah we'll just keep asking the same $5 crowd to keep listening and filling in the diary until we all give up. Hey and we'll do it for half the budget to boot.

LOL, yeah, I thought that verbiage was particularly verbose when they could've said, "We've cut our surveys back to once per year instead of twice to reduce the burden on our survey participants."

You make a good point about survey accuracy when they keep surveying the same population.

I wonder when the radio and TV companies will throw up their hands and give Numeris the 'ole "heave ho," dissolve the society and just measure audiences in some other way (i.e., PVR boxes or Internet radio streaming software and make extrapolations out to the terrestrial signals)?

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News