Gord Robison (1951-2008)

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Sassy wrote:
Top Dog wrote:I asked whether anything had been in the newspaper and the newsman indicated that there had not been.

Would be nice to see the official notification.

I find this stunning and disheartening when the loss of someone of this stature in such a public field as radio is barely acknowledged, much less trumpeted across the country.

:(

Yes, it's very sad that the passing of someone who spent a lifetime entertaining thousands of people over airwaves that reached listeners across half of Canada warrants barely a mention in the very medium that he served so faithfully: radio.

I guess virtue has to be its own reward but Gord Robson and all of the other talented radio performers who went before him deserve better.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Pluto wrote: Yes, it's very sad that the passing of someone who spent a lifetime entertaining thousands of people over airwaves that reached listeners across half of Canada warrants barely a mention in the very medium that he served so faithfully: radio.

Pluto, I'll bet you half the people I work with have neither heard of either Gord Robson or a radio station called CKLG, nor do they care. And Vancouver's demographics being what they are today, a large group of people wouldn't know who he is either.

I never met Gord but I was still saddened hearing the news. I heard him when I was in high school when everyone listened to 'LG and CFUN. Some very lovely tributes have appeared from former co-workers which I've appreciated reading.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:39 pm

cart_machine wrote:
Pluto, I'll bet you half the people I work with have neither heard of either Gord Robson or a radio station called CKLG, nor do they care.
cArtie.

I agree. It's a shame.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:48 pm

cart_machine wrote:Pluto, I'll bet you half the people I work with have neither heard of either Gord Robson or a radio station called CKLG, nor do they care.

Many people either know or know of Gord Robson. I sent the radiowest link to a few that do in the east.

One fellow that I have known since I started in the business, and who worked briefly at XL doing afternoon/evening news. replied and mentioned that he was doing some part time talk at CFRB, and would give the news of Gord's death to others there. Because it is a long weekend, many won't find out until today or tomorrow etc.
PMC

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:25 am

50 percent of the market is a huge number of people. I hope the journal of record - the Vancouver Sun will deem the passing of Gord as important as the news of some bimbo in Hollywood being jailed for wearing her bra too tight.

SADDER PASSING

Edmonton radio's close-knit "brotherhood of the good guys" is in mourning.

Gord Robson was found dead in his apartment last Friday.

He'd been laid-off from his afternoon-drive job at Cool 880 by Corus Entertainment last Monday with the impending format change from classic pop music to all-news.

Gord, 56, had not been in good health for several years.

Not that well-known outside the industry, his on-air career peaked with CHED in the early '70s and then in Vancouver at CKLG after that.

For the past decade or so, Gord had been in Edmonton, Moose Jaw and Lethbridge before joining Cool 880.

"He was just the nicest guy," says Standard Broadcasting station manager Marty Forbes.

"A true heart of gold. And he had a passion for teaching. He helped so many radio greenhorns learn their craft."

"Gord was kind, considerate, fair. Just a truly loveable guy, a big teddy bear in his healthier days," says close friend Rob Christie, now of Magic 99. "He was almost too nice a guy to be in radio."

No announcement yet on a memorial/funeral service.

Graham Hicks
Edmonton Sun
Today
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

KJ's December '73 composite aircheck - Gord's voice

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:53 am

I think Gord's voice can be heard at the close of one of the ads where he says "for ultra convenience use your charge card at Tracy's House of Fashion. . ." just after Ol' Dad Taylor and just before KJ introduces the Band.
Last edited by albertaboy4life on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 am

I know I am an old fuddy daddy lol but I have listening to COOL 880
and the music is great

A note to Sykes - you can listen too!

I have a station now - until Lumpy changes all that and gets rid of
Chandler and company
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Promotions Guy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:43 pm

I sure hope someone can offer some insight into what really happened as many are speculating. Gord was certainly well liked in the business. Funny how so many listeners don't remember Gord.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Postby Eileen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:08 pm

The cause of Gord's death had not been determined as of this afternoon.

He has been extremely ill for a while.

There are also no firm funeral plans yet - although it is not expected that a public service will be held.
Last edited by Eileen on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eileen

Postby radiofan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:27 pm

From CHARLEE MORGAN'S Blog at 104.9 Clear FM

The Music Is In You Always
March 23rd, 2008 by Charlee

“Wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, whatever misfortune you may have suffered, the music of your life has not gone. It’s inside you - if you listen to it, you can play it.”–Author Unknown–

You heard the music in me when I was just out of highschool. You shared your passion and wisdom of the music with me. You gave me my first job with music.

You mentored me wherever the music took me, and back to where it began for me.

Your last words to me on my way home, “I’m proud to have been a part of your career”.

It is I who has a career because of you.

And suddenly you are gone.
And you are back home too.

In loving and respectful memory of a true Radio Legend…
One who never thought it.
And that’s what made him so special.

Gord ‘Skip’ Robson
1951 - 2008

“Your radio family will play the music for you always”.
-Charlee

posted with permission of 104.9 Clear FM's Charlee Morgan
Charlee's Blog
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Ryan Waters » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:21 pm

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know Gord pretty well over the last few months.

Through our conversations about music, life and the "good old days" I knew I was speaking with a very special individual. His accomplishments in the industry speak for themselves but the person is who I hope you will all remember.

His death has been difficult for all of us at Corus, I for one will remember him as a kind, patient, honorable man.

I hope you have found peace big fella

Ryan Waters
Ryan Waters

Tributes to Gord

Postby segueking2 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:28 pm

I think you guys have said some very nice things about Gord and I know that his Family and friends will be salved by the kindness.
Notice how everyone says that Gord never had a bad word for anyone, and how he took joy in teaching and sharing?
That is a brilliant legacy and I for one I am for putting forward the idea to RTNDA for a new Bursary/Medal for On Air Radio Professionals who "Display generosity, kindness, leadership, as well as a high degree of commitment to furthering the craft of Broadcasting" -

The Gord Robson Medal
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:35 am

I think this is a wonderful idea! How can we put this proposal forward in an effective manner ( still entrenched in the US Immigration process for 15 months so far, I am more than used to the leaping through bureaucratic hoops...so, whatever it takes).
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Tributes to Gord

Postby Mighty Thor » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:34 pm

segueking2 wrote:I think you guys have said some very nice things about Gord and I know that his Family and friends will be salved by the kindness.
Notice how everyone says that Gord never had a bad word for anyone, and how he took joy in teaching and sharing?
That is a brilliant legacy and I for one I am for putting forward the idea to RTNDA for a new Bursary/Medal for On Air Radio Professionals who "Display generosity, kindness, leadership, as well as a high degree of commitment to furthering the craft of Broadcasting" -

The Gord Robson Medal

With all due respect, Gord was not a journalist. I doubt the RTNDA would see fit to honour him in such a way. I might suggest that you approach the Canadian Association of Broadcasters to see if an award could be created in radio category of their Gold Ribbon competition.
Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear! Every spring, the toilets explode! -Dean Wormer, Animal House.
Mighty Thor
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Definitely!
The CAB would be a much better bet.
RTNDA is Radio-Television NEWS Directors Association.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News