CRTC Hearings : Day One

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Postby Glen Livingstone » Tue May 16, 2006 6:47 pm

And so it begins.

I'm referring to Day One of the Whinefest starring the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, the Canadian Record Production Association and hosted by the CRTC.

Here's my favorite quote of the day:

"If content is king, then mobile content is King Kong," warned Rob Braide, chairman of the board at the CAB.

He told the five-member CRTC panel that technology has created two audio broadcasting systems: one that's regulated and one that isn't.

Guess which group the CAB belongs to?

"Unregulated competitors are playing in our space without the regulations we have - and so we are forced to compete in an inequitable manner," Braide told the panel.

Somebody pass me a kleenex, I'm getting all teary-eyed.

Thanks to the the CAB's greed and ineptitude, they've already lost the next generation of potential listeners - those in the 12 to 17 range.

Never mind that their dinosaur radio stations are facing certain extinction; their big concern is Cancon regulations - it would like them to stay at current levels.

What a system.

Here's a question for you: if the radio broadcasters were trying to put themselves out of business; what would they being doing differently?

Or maybe the bigger question is "does anyone care?"
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed May 17, 2006 9:15 am

These guys are amazing at being able to stir up ghosts under the bed so that they can keep making loadsadough.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby raverocks » Wed May 17, 2006 5:04 pm

Blaming others for their inability to serve the ever-changing needs of their listeners is what the CAB seems to be specializing in. Perhaps a little introspection would do Canadian Broadcasters a little bit of good. Are they really doing what's best for their audience or are they doing what's best for themselves?

Unfortunately, the CRTC is also out of touch with what the people want and unless we the public speaks out and tell our politicians what should be going onto our airwaves, those who hand out the reins of power will continue to reward the big company monopolies and screw the listener.

Unfortunately (part two), the Canadian electorate is made up mostly of sheep.
Find me on Twitter @RaveRocks101 and on You-Tube
raverocks
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News