What's It Going To Take...?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: What's It Going To Take...?

Postby pave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:18 pm

First, thanks for the candour.

For what it's worth, guys - I didn't make this stuff up.

I had already been in Radio for 16 years when I was introduced to a whole body of material that, obviously, may have screwed me up for the rest of my life.

That said, I started applying these principles of language in Radio around 1980 and spent the next decade dominating my day-part at 3 stations and providing a 30% increase in morning ratings at a fourth - QR-77 when I was there for a cup of coffee. (One of the managers of this site can confirm.)

I was also certifying to do psychological training at the time; applied the principles while doing therapy and wrote a book on the material - as it applies to therapy.

I continued to apply the principles to the Sportchek spots from 1980-2005 during their growth from an Alberta company to a national chain and continued in developing spots for other agencies.

Most would agree: my dues are paid.

And yes, I could still be full of crap. But I dooon't think so.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:07 pm

8-)
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:15 am

Oh, what the hell....

Since I do have a satchel full of thought-grenades on this issue, think I'll pull the pin on one and throw it in... if for no other reason than to determine if anybody notices a "bang". :shock:

Up for consideration: I wonder how many readers are still operating on the delusional assumption that Radio is a "one-to-one" medium. That is: a speaker/announcer/commercial reader communicating to a single member of an audience.

To paraphrase Bill Hicks: Think I'll strap in for this one.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:18 am

At the risk I may not be talking only to myself, allow me to flesh this concept out a bit more.

Now, I realise everyone who is involved in Radio understands that an audience is made up of individuals and that these individuals are experiencing the radio as... single individuals.

The distinction I am presenting, however, is the one in which our tradition insists on speaking directly to that individual - as if they were the only one listening.

This strategy presumes an intimacy that does not exist other than in the deluded mind of an occasional listener. ("Oh! It's like you are talking only to me!" Really?... Medic!) The premise, I suggest, also continues as part of the philosophies of wayyyy too many broadcasters.

I recall being engaged by a station that was mired in the basement and walking into the CR for the first time. On the wall in front of the board was a large, framed poster of a woman in her late 20's - mid 30's posing in a business suit (very fetching) beside her Beemer. Under the poster was the title: "Our Audience."

I had to check myself for a pulse.

The station management had inadvertently or by design - limited the scope of the Talents' communication to that which was presumed to be consistent with what they fantasised would be appealing to this one woman.

And it sounded just that way. The on-air staff projected like they were in an intimate, but still one-way conversation with their newest, bestest forever girlfriend. Had I been compelled to participate in this way I would have, within only a couple of shifts, been vomiting Splenda.

Now, I'm willing to grant: the station had this person, and a few others, possibly in similar circumstances, in their audience. But, that was all!

The price they paid for implementing this strategy was: the disenfranchising of... everybody else.

Further, there is no evidence that this strategy was what was appealing to "Our Audience", but that's all that showed up in The Books.

So, was presuming this one-to-one premise effective....?

No. I submit it was disastrous.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 am

Agreed, putting that specific and individual a face to your target audience, is limiting.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby newsjunkie11 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 am

Pave:

While we appreciate your ubiquitous Virgoan rant, trying to slice, dissect and seperate the wheat from the chafe...

I think that this is what you are really trying to say:

"The road to HELL...(ie radio?) is PAVED with good intentions ! :towel: :towel: :towel:

- NJ11...over and out...
newsjunkie11
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:14 pm

"The road to HELL...(ie radio?) is PAVED with good intentions !

No doubt aboudit. And it's also not reassuring to know that good intentions and a buck, ninety-five will buy me a cup of coffee. :orclown:

If I didn't have a sack-load of alternatively successful experience, I would have given it all up years ago as....oh, I dunno... interesting, but highly questionable theory.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 am

More on the "one-to-one" assumption: And what follows is one of the more contentious and hackle-raising issues of my model.

Those who follow this assumption - and that's everybody, based on their on-air communications - attempts to make a connection with a listener by using the Second Person "You"... almost exclusively.

Now, I appreciate that a "you" to a listener is experienced as "that's me".

I invite, however, readers to consider - and, perhaps provide some preliminary commentary on the minefield into which we have just ambled before I offer a series of points on the matter. :cherry:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:58 am

Although we have all been inducted into the "Radio is a one-to-one Medium"-cult, it doesn't take but very little consideration to realise this is a sham position.

Unless an individual audience member is speaking and feeding back to the broadcaster, say, through an on-air phone conversation, there is no connection between them. Certainly no connection between the broadcaster and any other member of that audience.

In other words: Radio is a One-To-Unspecified medium - a one-way communication platform.

Given this as a basis, the assumption of this connection through the use of the Second Person ("You") breaks down instantly.

As mentioned earlier: even though a listener understands "you" to be a reference to themselves - any confirmation of the linkage is unavailable.

As a result of this (unconscious) process, the listener is obliged to reject almost all of the rest of the communication as bogus - at worst. Questionable - at best.

As there are many, many other points to be added to this portion of the discussion, I am inviting reader-consideration, comments and challenges along the way.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:32 pm

pave wrote:More on the "one-to-one"

The last three posts were from someone named Pave - seems there is More on the "One to One" here.

I will admit you don't give up easily.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:09 pm

I will admit you don't give up easily.

This exercise, Jack, is not about a struggle, an effort or a contest. As such, there is no point to "giving up".

As another senior guy, perhaps you have considered the propositions and would care to comment.

(Please note: As Jack and I are both identified to each other as the designated receivers and senders and have developed a very basic feedback loop, use of the Second Person ("You") is, in this case, appropriate.)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:23 pm

You are both flogging a dead horse.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:24 pm

I hear this "you" crap from most stations.
Obviously, it's something pushed by the consultants to allegedly "personalize the listening experience."
We hear "your Canucks," "your borders" (which should be border crossings because there's only one border between Canada and the US,) "your weather," and "your" just about anything else.
What if the listener doesn't give a damn about hockey or traffic line-ups at border crossings?
Most of this crap is being spewed at News 1130 but I'm sure other stations, to which I no longer listen, are just as guilty.
As Pave seems to indicate, this shuts out listeners who have no interest in these topics.
Another pet peeve of mine, announcers who use the royal "we" instead of "me" or "I' and the even more hated "yours truly."
Communication is an art.
Brevity and clarity are becoming lost arts.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Communication is an art.
Brevity and clarity are becoming lost arts.

I appreciate the input, Mike. Now we are Two. Pretty soon, we might even have a cult of our own. :orclown:

As you may have surmised, I am only offering the tip of a fairly significant iceberg in these comments.

Indeed, Communication is an Art and a set of Methodologies.

What is tragic, to my mind, is that our peers have yet to be educated in these methods; few are aware of their existence and, worse, even less voice an interest in learning to become better Communicators.

And the King of All Ironies - this, in Radio - a business of Communications. A business where the best, most effective communicators Win!
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:You are both flogging

flogging right Howaboutyourzits
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News