What's It Going To Take...?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Re: What's It Going To Take...?

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 pm

pave wrote:Do we or do we not go out of our way - mostly as a broadcaster's habit - to make demands of our audience for behaviours?

The next challenge would be - although somewhat as a rhetorical question: What might be the cumulative affect of that strategy?

Sorry bud, ya lost me.

I prefer to live by the KISS principle and this is now well beyond the first 'S'
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:29 pm

For whatever reason, some will fall away from the discussion.

I will, however, suggest that Radio has taken the KISS principle and applied it to the point of rendering itself... irrelevant and simple... to a fault.

Meanwhile, back to the invitation for others to consider the assertion of demands for behaviours....
pave
Advanced Member

Postby groundwave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:34 pm

... What might be the cumulative affect of that strategy?

And now this ... "affect" should be "effect" in that context.
groundwave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:24 am

"Affect" is also a noun which refers to a "feeling" or "emotion" or having to do with influence.

It might be more worthwhile to move on and attempt to stay on-topic.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:54 am

pave wrote:to stay on-topic.

I am moving on because Pave wants us to get his point but fails to understand the nature of his classroom.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:34 am

....but fails to understand the nature of his classroom.

Quite so, Jack, and no more or less than any of us in Radio can accurately understand or identify the nature of our audiences.

Some will be interested, others not. Some will be indifferent and some will be intimidated. A few might be fascinated.

Meanwhile, for those who recall the most recent assertion, I am requesting readers become aware of the demands for behaviour made so consistently on da Radio and make speculations on the affect.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby yathink » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 am

Howaboutthat wrote:
pave wrote:Do we or do we not go out of our way - mostly as a broadcaster's habit - to make demands of our audience for behaviours?

The next challenge would be - although somewhat as a rhetorical question: What might be the cumulative affect of that strategy?

Sorry bud, ya lost me.

I'm afraid he's lost all of us. And we're his audience :shock:
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:55 am

pave wrote:
....but fails to understand the nature of his classroom.

Quite so, Jack, and no more or less than any of us in Radio can accurately understand or identify the nature of our audiences.

Some will be interested, others not. Some will be indifferent and some will be intimidated. A few might be fascinated.

It's a fair hike to "fascinated" from where we are here. Grouse Grind at least. :wink:
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby yathink » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:22 am

Arthur Schopenhauer once said, "Boredom is just the reverse side of fascination: both depend on being outside rather than inside a situation, and one leads to the other." Fascinating, but not very interesting.
:read2:
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Postby jawbone » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:59 am

Mr. Spock quite often said: "Fascinating"
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 pm

This is extraordinary. I haven't even begun to get to the really subtle and much more complex material.

I have asked readers to consider the proposition that making demands for behaviour on the Radio may not be a worthwhile strategy... and the protesters and agitators line up to commence to chirpin'.

It's not like I'm the atheist who wanders into church to holler "Time to update, kids!"

And then, it might be just like that - exactly.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Again, I think you need to understand your audience.

Anyone on this board, who wanted to say anything substantive on your topic, has said it.

Most others have short attention spans and are here for 'quickies'.

Do you have a blog where you can put forth your ideas and have meaningful discussions with followers?

Its my opinion that the 'best before date' has passed on intellectual discussion on this topic.

Time to move on.

:mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk :mousewalk
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:43 pm

While you may be right, I have to believe there are more "inquiring minds" around these parts than have identified themselves.

But, if what you suggest is the case, this thread will die of unnatural causes and folks can continue uttering drivel on the air while unwittingly driving away audience.

That, to my mind, would be a shame. :cry:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:53 pm

pave: I think you are faced with the fact that only the idiots, like me, comment here. The smart people are still actually working in the industry and have to keep their mouths shut. They do see your stuff.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Pave, you may have wonderous iconic pearls of wisdom,then again, you may not. I guess I'd like to know who you are, and where you're coming from with this, before I evaluate the credibility factor. That's just me though,
we've been down this road on here before,and it's a dead end everytime. No offence I hope. lee
glaherty
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Radio News