Remembering Jack Cullen

Re: Remembering Jack Cullen

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm still looking for an ID on the Network Replay theme. I didn't have much luck with Passionata. Thanks for the Victor Young hint; it's time for some more searches. That theme right after the 11:00 news would always spur my anticipation of what was to come. I can't believe I have no recording of it on cassette.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby ttony_at » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Toomas Losin wrote:I'm still looking for an ID on the Network Replay theme. I didn't have much luck with Passionata. Thanks for the Victor Young hint; it's time for some more searches. That theme right after the 11:00 news would always spur my anticipation of what was to come. I can't believe I have no recording of it on cassette.

I remember Jack once saying what it is but I forgot. I use to tape many of his programs and I do have several recordings of him opening Network Replay with the tune. Most of the time he'd use a recording of it that had some sound distortion. The
type of distortion was the kind you'd get if something was over amplified or copied too many times.

Several times I'd think maybe one day he'll dig out the original and clean it up. Then one day CKNW played it at the end
of one of his shows, maybe to fill space. I have it on a cassette. It is a much cleaner version and I can hear a slight echo. Before the end, the tune breaks away and changes into a lively melody, and then fades out. The version Jack had, had a
break just after the start as if it was patched together, and then continued and came to an natural sounding end - a much more sudden end, than the long version I have.
Tony
ttony_at

Postby Toomas Losin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:07 pm

If you have a smartphone can you use a music recognition app to try identifying the piece? I've run a number of mystery songs from my cassettes through SoundHound or Shazam and identified all but one which was very badly distorted.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby TheBigO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:11 am

Passionetta was the Network Replay theme - it was by Bernie Wayne & His Orchestra - the part Jack used was embedded in the song and not from the beginning

so who did his other closing theme of Goodnight My Love ?
TheBigO

Postby YesterDaze » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:14 am

Was the Cullen closer "Nighty Night" by Alvino Rey, with vocal by Yvonne King & the ensemble? Sounds right to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x-x51APIU

Oh I now see daw0003 already suggested that.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:56 pm

TheBigO wrote:Passionetta was the Network Replay theme - it was by Bernie Wayne & His Orchestra - the part Jack used was embedded in the song and not from the beginning

Thank you! I did some searching online and was impressed by finding next to nothing about Passionetta. I found documentation of three recordings, all from 1923. Is this an extremely rare recording? Maybe not very popular? If not popular then why would it be used as a theme? Or maybe just the best part was used?

Edit: Whoops! Getting creative with my searches I see that Bernie Wayne is credited for "Passionata". I don't know why I didn't find it months ago while looking for that name.
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby paul hesketh » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Wow..ten years..."Its Your's all yours"...the famous opening lines from "Uncle John Cullens".famous "Owl Prowl" theme song.
I remember fondly, a telephone chat I had with Jack in 1998.Among other things we chatted about was an interview we were to do on a show I hosted at CKOV Kelowna.Jack joked that I was not to phone him "too late in the evening", as he didn't stay up as late as he used to,referring to those colourful days at "12 Eastings at Carroll" home of the original "Owl Prowl"
He was also sending me, for my show, some great movie soundtracks that he had in his massive music collection. He joked, "don't worry about copyright, all the performers are gone, so you won't get sued"
Before and during my sporadic radio career I was fortunate to rub shoulders with some of the best in the business. I refer to them fondly as the 3 Jacks. As a school kid, I learned technique from Jack Kyle, spending hours listening to him in Studio "B' at "NW at 227 Columbia Street, New Westminster; as a producer for Jack Webster as he did his "City Mike" broadcasts at CKLG, North Vancouver; and Jack Cullen whose knowledge of music history was bar none simply staggering. Many a night, as I toiled over a late night "Words and Music" show at CKLG, Mr Cullen, on his way home from his gig, would phone to correct, in such a gentlemanly way, the errors in personnel I had made introducing a now forgotten music selection.
Thanks Jack....and thanks for the music.
paul hesketh

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 pm

As a Jack, a jack from NW, the original RW Topper Dog who has met the Hesketh bros, I am hurt.....

I will cry myself to sleep. LOL :xtree3:

Happy Xmas Paul - dined with with Mauri and Lennie this summer
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby rich » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:57 am

Hi, guys and gals.

I was a BCIT broadcast student when I met Jack Cullen in 1967. The link was my part-time night "operator" job at the old NW Columbia Street studios (a plumb position awarded to two or three broadcast students each year.)
I was responsible for putting newsman John Ashbridge, talk show hosts Dave Abbott, Jack Webster and Jack Cullen on the air...and also responsible, on one infamous evening, for destroying an Al Davidson sportscast ON AIR. But that's
another story...

Jack graciously agreed to let me into his Howe Street Sanctum on two occasions. I was crazy about "old time" radio, and fascinated by the scope and size of Jack's monumental collection. A couple of (quiet) nights I'll never
forget, talking with him as tapes rotated and records spun.

Since the 1970s--when copyrights were beginning to be rigidly enforced, thanks to VHS video--I often wonder what the legal ramifications were about Jack's bootlegged movie soundtrack taping at movie theatres.

I suspect what's most valuable, as historical/entertainment artifacts, would be his interviews. See that Red Robinson has the collection now and has "restored it."

Cheers,
Rich Mole Creative Director, CFAX 1070, Victoria 1969-1979
rich

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:21 am

Welcome to the group Rich. Your experience and insights will be respected here by almost everyone; meaning that, once in awhile, a troll will appear in the form of a seagull, one who will fly in, make a lot of loud squawking noise, shit all over you, and leave.
Stick around anyway. It's fun here.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Someone call Vince Cownden, or maybe Ray Orchard !!!

Nice to see a gent from my first radio station, CFAX's Rich Mole dropping by. (*Same era, too).

Trounce Alley, in the good old days.

"CFAX Acutron time is....".

Oh the memories.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Got a note from Brian Antonsen today, and he's tracked down Jack's sign off theme music ...

...and realized nobody had identified the source of Jack's sign-off "Goodnight My Love", so set about trying to find it...again. Been searching for it for a long time myself, and it took a bit of doing, but finally found it...by The Melachrino Strings from 1965:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp89u-zu9nk

Thanks Brian!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:22 pm

1965 is also the year that George Melachrino died. The Melachrino Strings carried on without him, and is still releasing albums the last that I heard.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:14 pm

radiofan wrote:Got a note from Brian Antonsen today, and he's tracked down Jack's sign off theme music ...

...and realized nobody had identified the source of Jack's sign-off "Goodnight My Love", so set about trying to find it...again. Been searching for it for a long time myself, and it took a bit of doing, but finally found it...by The Melachrino Strings from 1965:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp89u-zu9nk

Thanks Brian!

That is so cool to hear it again. In my early radio days it usually meant the end of my shift after operating Jack's show.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby 78rpm » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:32 am

Thanks so much for locating Jack's theme.
It will be a welcome addition to "Cullen's Corner" on cvue.ca
support community radio-send all your money now.
78rpm
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca