Happy 7th Birthday RadioWest.ca

Re: Happy 7th Birthday RadioWest.ca

Postby radiofan » Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Dan Sys wrote:
My my how time flies. Hard to believe that it was 7 years ago that we all met at a get together at Jimmy Mac's Pub in Langley and Radiofan unveiled this site (even Sykes was at that one as I recall).

Good memory Dan. Yes, John Sykes was there, Jack Bennest made the trek down from Oliver, it was our first meeting with Mike Cleaver (who I believe has been to every function since!). You, Linda, Erland
Carlson and myself were there. I think the only pics taken that day were on Sykes' cell phone. I wonder if he's figured out how to download them yet?

Time does fly.

Glad to see so many like the change back to the old system!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm

I concur on the change back. Happy birthday to all
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu May 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Time goes by fast when having fun...
PMC

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat May 11, 2013 2:41 am

Hi Everyone, Been quite busy with a lot of other things so had not been on Radio West for a few days or more. Noticed the new look. First of all congratulations to Ted and Radio West for the anniversary. I joined in spring of 2009 and have found valuable radio info. etc. on the site. Hope all continues for many moons to come! Just one question on going back to the old look just when I got used to everything, ha! I am wondering where the photos of radio stations that was on the home page that Dan posted will be. Always like those station photos of studios etc... Are they going to be added to current radio station info. but where will that be? The current home page listings only indicate topics.

Thanks again. all the best take safety first, Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 am

Eldon.....the studio shots, sticker scans, etc. will all be available on the Facebook page. Perhaps once the dust settles we can find a way to also post them on the regular Radio West site.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 am

much belated happy 7th to our favourite virtual playground and many tanks to radiofan, jon, Dan & others for being the keepers of the word! I'm happy to see the forums back to the old page layout/format which loads much quicker in Chrome on both the XP and W7 machines :occasion7:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 pm

radiofan wrote: I think the only pics taken that day were on Sykes' cell phone. I wonder if he's figured out how to download them yet?

I remember two in the valley before your move to Marine Drive. One was close in Surry and one other closer to Abbotsford.

I remember standing outside one and getting some pictures but would have trouble finding those. Maybe film at that time lol :wave:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat May 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks to the wonderful archives of radiowest.ca - here is my memory. Dan must have taken this.

We must try to revisit that site soon for a re-pix
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat May 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:We must try to revisit that site soon for a re-pix

This was at the place south of Abby, almost at the US Border. I think it burnt to the ground along with several others in the area not too long after we were there.

This was probably from October 04, still in the PSR days. The day after we visited what remained of the old NW studios at the old hotel/pub on Columbia Street in New West.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat May 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Nice photo Ted (RadioFan). If Dan took the photo it turned out fine!!! You mentioned south of Abbotsford near the border, would that be some place in Huntington right near Sumas, Washington? That was where Jim and I did that dxing a few years ago and tried for KAVZ LP FM on 102.5 in that Huntington Park area near the border. Was it a pub or restaurant that you were at that later burned down???? By the way never did hear KAVZ LP FM 102.5 near Sumas, only got KZOK from Seattle dominating there. I know Dan has told me he has tried for it in Aldergrove over the years too and I don't think he has heard it yet. Their coverage map indicates the signal reaches Everson area and I think Nooksack, Washington but not Sumas. Anyway great photo and nice memories of the first Radio West meeting places!

73s, Take care everyone! Eldon
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Yes, that pub (Wild Bills) and a few others throughout Abbotsford that were owned by local businessman Paul Esposito all suffered the same fate (ie-burnt to the ground). I never did hear what the outcome of all of this was, but apparently someone did not see eye to eye with Mr. Esposito.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun May 12, 2013 2:12 am

Greetings, Thanks for mentioning the name of the pub etc... Dan. I never was in it and cannot remember seeing it. I know Jim mentioned there was a dog shelter or lock-up near the Huntington Post Office at one time. That park in Huntington with picnic tables is a real nice park in good weather and dxing is good there to on the AM band. Its not far from the border and many people picnic there in the summer or better weather. Jim and I happened to be there in the late afternoon and evening. For quite a few years in the late 1980s to about 1996 I had a P.O. Box in Sumas, Washington, Box 1630 and we had made quite a few trips over the years back then to Sumas Post Office. I have been in several of the restaurants and pubs in Sumas back then. Liked Sumas, nice small town USA and found the Key Bank and other things there good friendly service! Of course have not been back down there since 9/11 or the passport requirement which I will get some time when I have a chance and the extra bucks for, its certainly not free! Kind of ticks me off that requirement and I was hoping the Obama Democrats would get rid of that requirement. I*m not much interested in international travel and just going to the USA seems stupid to require a passport especially when we did not need it in the past!

Anyway a few more thoughts on restaurants and pubs etc. in that area! It sounds like you all had a nice time way back then at the get-togethers at the pub there.

All the best and thanks again for mentioning that Dan!

73s Eldon
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby czarcasm » Sun May 12, 2013 11:00 am

Happy Anniversary and I too am glad to see things back to the way they were. Makes for much easier reading, even though I'm not as ADD as some posters appear to be. I'm trying to figure out
what passports, dog shelters and PO Boxes have to do with Radio West's birthday?

Keep taking your Ritalin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Happy 7th Birthday from the desert! It'll be good to get back to the PNW in mid June.

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote: Of course have not been back down there since 9/11 or the passport requirement which I will get some time when I have a chance and the extra bucks for, its certainly not free! Kind of ticks me off that requirement and I was hoping the Obama Democrats would get rid of that requirement. I*m not much interested in international travel and just going to the USA seems stupid to require a passport especially when we did not need it in the past!

Next time you renew your Driver's Licence, Eldon, get the enhanced one. It's cheaper than getting both. All aliens require one or the other and that will never change!

:cat2:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sun May 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Poor kat. She seems never to have recovered from the loss of sandclam as someone to pick on.
slowhand
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca