Happy New Year from RadioWest.ca

Happy New Year from RadioWest.ca

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:01 pm

To all our members and visitors ... A Happy and Healty 2014!

Happy New Year from RadioWest.ca and BC Radio History.com

:occasion5:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Happy New Year from RadioWest.ca

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:37 pm

With 2013 now in the books I'm not going to worry about what has happened in the past..... as there is nothing I can do about it. As far as 2014 is concerned I'm not going to get stressed out about what the new year is going to bring, as the future isn't here yet. My plan of attack is to take what each day has and go for it as each day has enough to keep me busy. Happy new year all
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:47 pm

From "The Mail online" this article and spectacular images of fireworks over England's capital......
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... reets.html
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 pm

If you scroll through the images you will be able to take a trip most of the way around the world...There are a couple of videos to enjoy as well.....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:23 am

Tape Splicer wrote:With 2013 now in the books I'm not going to worry about what has happened in the past..... as there is nothing I can do about it. As far as 2014 is concerned I'm not going to get stressed out about what the new year is going to bring, as the future isn't here yet. My plan of attack is to take what each day has and go for it as each day has enough to keep me busy. Happy new year all

That is exactly how I've been looking at life for quite a few years now Tape Splicer... Happy New Year to you and to all my RadioWest friends. To loosely quote Robert Burns...

May the best ye've ever had
Be the wurst you'll ever see.
May a moose ne'er lea yer girnal
Wi a tear drap in its ee.
May yer lum keep reekin' blythly
Till yer auld enough to dee.
May ye aye be jist as happy
As I wish ye now tae be.

:occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Robbie always did have his tongue in a jug :lol:

All of the best in this, the year 2014 :cheers:
PMC

Postby Tape Splicer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:48 pm

CubbyCam wrote:
As I wish ye now tae be.

Perhaps I need a few pints to figure out exactly what the old boy is saying.... I gather it is all for good.....CubbyCam translate nto the Queen's english please?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:
CubbyCam wrote:
As I wish ye now tae be.

Perhaps I need a few pints to figure out exactly what the old boy is saying.... I gather it is all for good.....CubbyCam translate nto the Queen's english please?

May the best you've ever had
Be the worst you'll ever see.
May a mouse never leave your pantry
With a tear drop in its eye.
May your chimney keep smoking happily
Till you're old enough to die.
May you always be just as happy
As I wish you now to be.

My father toasted us at our wedding 47 years ago with this... and it's been used many times since. :-)
:occasion5: :occasion5:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:With 2013 now in the books I'm not going to worry about what has happened in the past..... as there is nothing I can do about it. As far as 2014 is concerned I'm not going to get stressed out about what the new year is going to bring, as the future isn't here yet. My plan of attack is to take what each day has and go for it as each day has enough to keep me busy. Happy new year all

I basically agree with the concept, but just thought it was funny how it immediately brought to mind the gag in the opening sequence of, I think it was, the movie Charade. The leading man first meets the leading lady, and asks her for a dinner date. Tonight isn't enough notice and she never plans as far ahead as tomorrow night.

Happy New Year everyone!

Last night, New Years Eve, I suddenly realized that I'm one of the few people on the planet who knew exactly what he was doing exactly 44 years ago last night. A friend recently discovered a tape I had sent him, recording a band scan on New Years Eve 1969 that starts at 540 KHz and lasts several hours. He tells me that I got stuck on 890 KHz for quite a long time, as Chicago's WLS was counting down the Big 89 of 1969.

As my wife reminded me today, as I told her the story, radio station year-end countdowns were a really big deal back then. She remembers listening on many a New Years Eve here in Edmonton as CHED counted them down, trying desperately to play #1 for the past year right at midnight.

It is interesting to learn now how little analysis was involved in many of them. Even some large stations viewed them as pure entertainment, so actually ranked the songs based on how they would flow, one to the next. Of course, the scientific approach did not always work either. KOL's Robin Mitchell based the 1970 countdown heavily on local Sales of 45s. Which meant that the song that every Seattle grandmother bought for her 5 year old grandchild, charted really well. That year, it was "Rubber Duckie" by Jim Henson, at #23 for the year.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 pm

jon wrote:KOL's Robin Mitchell based the 1970 countdown heavily on local Sales of 45s. Which meant that the song that every Seattle grandmother bought for her 5 year old grandchild, charted really well. That year, it was "Rubber Duckie" by Jim Henson, at #23 for the year.

Some years later.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQsaEdJ1aI

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 am

I would prefer to say: Healthy New Year

Happiness is a frame of mind and not easily defined.

Question: "Are you happy Fred?" Answer: "About what?" :glasses7:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:51 am

Jack Bennest wrote:I would prefer to say: Healthy New Year

Happiness is a frame of mind and not easily defined.

Question: "Are you happy Fred?" Answer: "About what?" :glasses7:

Re: Happy

I don't know, Jack. Perhaps that is the point. Wishing someone something nice that only they can define is not such a bad thing, is it?

Or perhaps it is a proactive invitation to positive thinking.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:33 pm

jon wrote:I don't know.

I agree. And have a Healthy New Year. :glasses7:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca