Happy Birthday Tom Jeffries

Happy Birthday Tom Jeffries

Postby radiofan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:38 pm

:carrot: Happy 65th Birthday to Tom Jeffries today! :yahoo:

Thanks for all your contributions to Radio West over the years Tom.

Have a great day, a great year and many more to come!

:occasion4:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Happy Birthday Tom Jeffries

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:38 pm

:tonguewaving: Dear AKA

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday bud

All the best to JB
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks to RadioFan, for his largesse and friendship and a special thanks to my number one fan (*sure, Tom), and swell guy, Jack Bennest.

Thanks for the years of laughs, Jack - and of course, JB sends her best.

Some great people hang here, and I feel lucky to have friends like RF and Jack.

Blessed, I is.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 am

Well, how did I miss THAT momentous ocassion? Happy Birthday Tom! Maybe see you on Tuesday at the RPM? Oh, and now you'll get an extra $551.54 every month. Ain't like grand? ;-) :occasion4:
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:45 am

Late again on this, all the best Tom !

:cheers:
PMC

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Happy Birthday, Tom.
Hope to see you Tuesday.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Ross Ewage » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Belated Birthday Greetings Mr. Jeffries.

Keep your radio stories coming, they're entertaining and educational.
Ross Ewage
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Mr. Jeffries? Please, it’s Tom - and thanks.

I am glad you enjoyed my ramblings, but I have decided that I have to wrap it up, because it is kind of ancient history. Shoot, listening to ‘Boom Boom' Benson and Jack Casey - that air check from CFUN was 2 years before I came back West. 42 year old memories, probably don’t have a lot of relevance.
Steve Harvey, the comic has a great line - “You can’t drive the car, looking in the rearview mirror”. I think for too long, I was doing just that. Living in the past.

Yes, the basic rules apply - communication is communication - but the style we affected might not work now. That being said, I can’t listen to what is being served up - because, of course, it is NOT aimed at me.

Just like us back in the CFUN Glory days, we weren’t aiming at old farts - we wanted the sweet spot. 25-54 at the outside.

Radio is still something I mull over, and I try and figure it all out, and I realize it all went by in a flash.

What other business would allow me to meet Paul McCartney, Linda McCartney, Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, George Plimpton, Farley Mowat, Fleetwood Mac, The Beegees, Elton John, Charlie Daniels, The New Animals, Ray Manzarek and John Densmore of the Doors, ‘Wolfman’ Jack (*What a prince), The Rolling Stones, Anne Murray, Gord Lightfoot, Lord Jeffrey Archer, Ray Kinsella, Trent Frayne, The Neville Brothers, The Temptations, Barry Gordy, The Commodores, Rick Derringer, The Ramones, June Callwood, Darryl Sittler, Eddie Shack, Guy Lafleur, “Pinball” Clemons, Richard Brodeur, Jim Robson, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, David Foster and I went to school together, and we were in the same band. (Yes, we knew he was special - and he is). Cheap Trick, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, Tanya Tucker, Billy Cowsill (under appreciated genius, Bless Him), Glen Campbell, Bryan Adams, BTO, Billy Joel, Styx, The Eagles (Glenn Frey and Don Henley and Joe Walsh), The Right Hon. Pierre Trudeau, Lloyd Robertson, and about 200 more fascinating and generous people.

There are a few more names I must mention.

News people we a big part of radio, back in the day. Kathy Danford, JJ Richards, David Palmer, Susan Booker, Merv Connally, Drew Snider, Clint Nickerson, Jon McComb, all from CKVN/CFUN - Hugh Curtis at CFAX, Larry Silver and Marvin Piuti, Robert Holiday - CFTR. They were all special and made my time sound so much better. Art Simmonds, from CKDA is also a sentimental favourite.

Sports? Stuke, David Pratt, Tommy Larschied, Gary Raible....John Hinnen at CFTR (He is a President with Rogers or something now - a really talented man). Thanks, all.

Sales. They fed my family. Barry O’Donnell, Rob Collins, and the CFUN Crew - the KISS-FM team and so many hard working people deserve a hand, because it is NEVER an easy sale. I always admired my sales team, and I enjoyed doing remotes. The extra money was welcome, but also I got to know the account executive a bit and so it was really pleasant, if somewhat like walking a tightrope. If no one shows at the remote, you look like a schnook. Oh man, you should have heard the wriggling. “It establishes the name in the marketplace”. “Too sunny - everyone went to the Beach”. I even did a remote the day of “Live Aid”. Not one visitor. I was a smash!!

Program Directors. Chuck McCoy, of course. I liked Al Pascal at CFRA. He was the real deal. Paul Ski and J. Robert Wood, Neil Gallagher, and Pat St. John all had superior skills.

I worked with some stiffs. One of the stupidest people in the world, was my Boss for a short while and he defined the Peter principal.
So, it wasn’t all roses. Man, some of the people were venal, dim, and didn’t give two hoots about anyone but themselves. Luckily, they were few and far between. I am sure I wasn’t on everyone’s top ten - so I think it evens out. There is only one person I was ever tempted to punch in the face, but that immature way of dealing with being treated like crap, is just lowering yourself to their scummy level.

“Radio is s a shallow plastic trench where thieves and pimps run wild - and then there is the negative side” - Hunter Thompson.

Yes, there were some folks that filled that bill - but they were treated like lepers, and many just washed out, or became managers. LOL.

Cheers.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 pm

I have a philosophy - after 65 you are on the best chapter of your life

Make the most of it. Look up at a clear sky, smell the wet grass, slow down a bit.

Try to find the real you somewhere inside. Start something. There is a lot of time to go :glasses7:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Rich Elwood » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Tom,

A belated Happy Birthday to one of the nicest guys to ever worked on air in radio - Arthur Godfrey!

Enjoy many, many more!! You're a class guy Tom and it was a joy working with you on 4th Ave!

You buying on Tuesday? I don't want to suggest you're tight but I saw King George 5's in your wallet last time it opened.

Rich Elwood
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Hey Tom Terrific ..... happy birthday you old hound!
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca