Welcome j2strat!

Welcome j2strat!

Postby jon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Since he identifies himself in his first post, I thought it fair to welcome the legendary John Jackson, by name, to the board.

John was the Music Director (and PMD) when I arrived at CJAT Trail on May 1, 1972. Man, did that Man know his music. He helped run a tight little Top 40 station with a playlist that included songs no one else was playing but that listeners were requesting. Who else was playing Neil Sedaka currents in 1972?

I can't think of a Middle Market Top 40 station in B.C. at the time with a sound as good as this one station market station. You'd have to go to the Prairies and CKRD, CJOC, CHEC and CHAB to hear anything as good or better.

Although I drove some other station people nuts, John and I always got along very well.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Welcome j2strat!

Postby BossRadio » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 am

Welcome to the board John! Really enjoyed working with you at CJAT in 76 and 77. You were a consummate pro who knew how to have a great time on the air. Big market sound in a city that was just a blip on the map.

Ken (O'Neil) McKim.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby jon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:20 am

Now the big question for BossRadio or John: how long did the ban on Michael Jackson last? It was fully in place in 1972.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 pm

long time no chat...Murray says Hi ! :lol:

What is this nonsense of MJ banned... I don't recall any thing like that at all. `Brother Ken' would have never done this or is this some inside joke ?
PMC

Postby jon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 pm

No, not an inside joke. It was actually "No Jackson 5 records" at CJAT in 1972.

My memory was helped on that one because CKRA-FM Edmonton did not play any Michael Jackson music from first signon until Thriller had sold a million copies.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:44 pm

jon wrote:It was actually "No Jackson 5 records" at CJAT in 1972. .

There is a difference in MJ and Jackson 5... and that was `Thriller' as you said.
PMC

Postby BossRadio » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:39 pm

All J5 and Jackson solo hits were aired as of 76. I recall finding a few copies of MJ's abysmal 'Ben' in the library, and using them as kamikaze frisbees.
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:47 am

BossRadio wrote: I recall finding a few copies of MJ's abysmal 'Ben' in the library, and using them as kamikaze frisbees.

Always plenty of requests for cars, guitars, venus and mars, but not rodents :lol:
PMC

Postby Rocky » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:48 am

Any of you guys remember John zipping around in a Japanese sports car and dropping in KHJ jingles on CJAT?
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:15 am

I do,I do! White early model 240 (260?) Datsun Z,with the Who or American Airchex tape blasting from the deck. It was a rocket. Jack(son) did drop in some "interesting" jingles ,usually between 530 and 6am on CJAT.
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm

BossRadio wrote:Jack(son) did drop in some "interesting" jingles ,usually between 530 and 6am on CJAT.

In my day, John would often join the Evening DJ between midnight and 1:00 a.m., when all good managers were tucked into their little beds and fast asleep, and do Theatre of the Mind. Usually in the AM control room, but occasionally in the FM control room where they could play the music in stereo, as they were simulcast after midnight. Unfortunately, there was only one mic.

Both stations were signed off just after the 1:00 p.m. News.

Wish I could remember the name of the Evening DJ. While I was there, he left CJAT because the repair bills on his heavily-used Porsche were just too much for his almost minimum wage salary -- my pay cheques were bigger than his, even though I actually was paid minimum wage, because no income tax was deducted as I was still a student at UBC. He went to Cominco to shovel lead 8 hours a day for two to two and a half times the salary.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Rocky wrote:Any of you guys remember John zipping around in a Japanese sports car and dropping in KHJ jingles on CJAT?

The Big 6-10 KFRC jingles would have been a nice touch!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby j2strat » Fri May 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks guys..warm memories from a fun time. After all these years busted for the jingles!!!and for the record KFRC was featured ...
j2strat

Postby jon » Fri May 02, 2014 4:51 pm

j2strat wrote:Thanks guys..warm memories from a fun time. After all these years busted for the jingles!!!and for the record KFRC was featured ...

John: could you help me with the name of the Evening Guy I referred to above? With the exception of the local high school kid who pulled a couple of shifts a week on the FM, I've figured out the complete CJAT AM & FM on-air staff, including News, from May of 1972.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri May 02, 2014 5:08 pm

In case it helps jog any minds, here is the rest of the on-air staff from CJAT-AM from May 1972:
  • Tom Fawkes (PD & Morning Drive)
  • Theo Donnelly (Middays)
  • John Jackson (MD & Afternoon Drive)
  • Jim Harrison
  • Barrett Lawrie (News Director)
  • me
Dave Glover was not involved in CJAT-AM at that time. He was PD, Sales and on-air on CJAT-FM.
jon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca