New CAB Board

New CAB Board

Postby radiofan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:05 pm

I just had to post this (with permission of it's author). It's written by a long time, well respected broadcaster. He wrote and circulated it among a number of his former colleagues.

An observation:

This is why the thing we call 'broadcasting in Canada' is so different today, than it was even as recently as ten years ago:

"The new members of the (2014) board at the Canadian Association of Broadcasters are:
    Chair Kevin Goldstein, vice-president, legal and regulatory affairs at Bell Media
    Vice-Chair Susan Wheeler, vice-president, regulatory affairs at Rogers Media
    Secretary Sylvie Courtemanche, vice president and associate general counsel government relations and compliance at Corus Entertainment
    Treasurer Glenda Spenrath, vice-president, operations & regulatory affairs at Newcap Radio
    Directors Rick Arnish, chairman, Jim Pattison Broadcast Group
    Nathalie Dorval, Vice-présidente, affaires réglementaire et droits d’auteur at Cogeco
    Cynthia Rathwell vice-president, regulatory affairs at Shaw Communications..."
( -- 'Broadcast Dialogue Weekly Briefing,' Thursday, June 19th, 2014)

I do not pretend to know all, or even many, of these people now charged with representing the private-sector interests of an industry in which I spent more than a few years of my working life. But, the only CAB 'industry leader' whom I can truthfully identify as having ever had any actual, on-air - or even behind-the-scenes - broadcasting experience at any point in his or her lifetime is Rick Arnish. Insofar as I can determine, the remaining board members are either career lawyers or accountants, whose main connections to broadcasting appear to have been in the area of securing and protecting their corporate employers' fiscal or regulatory interests. Nothing wrong with that ... but they're not 'broadcasters.'

Certainly, the mandate of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters and the makeup of its 2014 board appears to be nothing like that of the CAB we knew in the last century and into the early part of this one. Nor, sadly, is it intended to be.

This is not your grandfather's, or even your father's, radio or television station - or industry - anymore. It's just 'another business.'
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

New CAB Board

Postby flyonthewall » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 am

Is the board itself less and less relevant to 'broadcasters', or is it a sign of the times. I can see one person who at one point years ago was behind a mike, Arnish, but it's probably a good guess the others wouldn't know an on-air light if they walked into a studio when it was on.

From the Broadcast Dialogue 'Weekly Briefing'

"The new members of the (2014) board at the Canadian Association of Broadcasters are:

Chair Kevin Goldstein, vice-president, legal and regulatory affairs at Bell Media

Vice-Chair Susan Wheeler, vice-president, regulatory affairs at Rogers Media

Secretary Sylvie Courtemanche, vice president and associate general counsel government relations at Corus Entertainment
Treasurer Glenda Spenrath, vice-president, operations & regulatory affairs at Newcap Radio

Directors Rick Arnish, chairman, Jim Pattison Broadcast Group

Nathalie Dorval, Vice-présidente, affaires réglementaire et droits d’auteur at Cogeco

Cynthia Rathwell vice-president, regulatory affairs at Shaw Communications..."

( -- 'Broadcast Dialogue Weekly Briefing,' Thursday, June 19th, 2014)
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: New CAB Board

Postby bigbry » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:28 am

Nice to see folks that "know" and have a solid background in broadcasting on this board! It's a direct opposite to the CRTC
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:13 am

First thang ahmo do is: Ahmo douse bigbry with a couple of pails of cold water. Then, ahmo take him outta the sun. Next, ahmo towel him off and get him a different kind of Kool-Aid. Lastly, I will explain this stuff all over again - kindly and gently.

In the meantime, it could be pointed out that this board represents the elite of those whose job includes the task of maintaining the status quo of radio and promoting the interests of the major corporations who own almost all of radio.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:17 am

pave wrote:First thang ahmo do is: Ahmo douse bigbry with a couple of pails of cold water. Then, ahmo take him outta the sun. Next, ahmo towel him off and get him a different kind of Kool-Aid. Lastly, I will explain this stuff all over again - kindly and gently.

In the meantime, it could be pointed out that this board represents the elite of those whose job includes the task of maintaining the status quo of radio and promoting the interests of the major corporations who own almost all of radio.

Perhaps you should:
1. Douse yourself with that same cold water
2. Learn how to use emoticons, or
3. Explain about the elite on this board promoting the interests of the corporations.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 pm

For those of us who had forgotten why the CAB disbanded in 2010:

Broadcaster
ref. - http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issu ... BM&ref=rss
DAILY NEWS 2/18/2010 4:51:00 PM
BREAKING NEWS -- Canadian Association of Broadcasters to Cease Operation

The Canadian Association of Broadcasters says it is planning to shut down after reaching an impasse with some of its members.

Chairman Elmer Hildebrand says the organization has decided to close this June.

Hildebrand has been trying since December to help the CAB find common ground between broadcasters and cable operators, who have been forcing increasingly different views on the industry.

After reviewing its strategy, the organization concluded that TV operators like CTV and Canwest wouldn't be able to find a common ground with cable companies like Rogers Communications Inc., which have broadcasting assets.

Hildebrand says he hopes to form a new organization in the future that solely represents radio broadcasters.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:08 am

Howaboutthat wrote: :yahoo:

1. Douse yourself with that same cold water

I had a cold shower and took my monk whips - the humour on here is great. :groovy:

Seriously:

CAB had a fairly honourable past but seems to have lost its purpose but recently only represented a few major players
supplying programming in cable, tv and radio.

If all those segments compete hard for them to be one voice when sitting at a government table and singing different tunes.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca