Greetings from ex-CFGP

Greetings from ex-CFGP

Postby spitsnrovers » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:06 am

Hello to all on RadioWest!

I stumbled on this forum while on a whim, searching for CFGP. I was absolutely shocked to find the 1964 Top 40 sheet, complete with the photo of a very young Lionel Kyle! It brought back such a lot of memories. It was such a shock because I had been working at CFGP with Lionel, Claude Burrows, Vaughan Desjardins, Jack Soars, Fran Tanner and a host of others at that time. Many have moved on to bigger and better things - or the great control-room in the sky.

I started at CFGP in 1960 writing ad copy part time while in grade 9, when the station was down on 99 St just off Richmond Ave. It was a rabbit warren of a place, but it sure was an interesting time. I remember Auntie Barbara and her storytime for kiddies. I think her name was Barbara Cook. While there I discovered the old disc cutting lathe in the back studio and even learned how to use it! I still have some of those aluminum disks with the black lacquer coating. "Its Light Up Time in the Peace, with RCMP Constable ???"

I progressed into on-air work and eventually moved with the station to the fantastic new studio on 103 Ave. Man, wasn't that state-of-the-art stuff then? Jim DesRoalds helped design and kept all the technical stuff working, and even changed the light bulbs on top of the stand-by tower on the station roof. I managed to climb half way up one year helping him change the regular blue bulbs to Christmas colours. Half way was far enough for me!

After a short period away, working for CKRD-AM (plus the new FM) and CHCA-TV in Red Deer, (but that's another story) I came back to CFGP in 1966. I remember the manager, Cam Perry, and Gord Pearcy both asking why I would want to quit and move to Australia! But I was young, adventurous, and did. I did some broadcast work there and in Papua New Guinea before changing careers and returning to Canada. It took until 1984 to get back here, and by then I was out of the broadcast sphere.

I did attend the 50th "Golden Anniversary" of CFGP in 1987 and meet a few of the old timers. But I believe it wasn't long after that that the station moved to its newer, smaller location upstairs near Montrose.

I haven't kept in touch with Grande Prairie over the past 20 years, but recently I was so disappointed to see that good old CFGP had folded, and re-emerged as a rock station under a new banner. I miss "broadcasting" in its true sense. What I hear now is 'narrowcasting', where you only get one type of music, news or talk format on a station. In the good-old-days broadcasting meant a listener could hear show tunes, western music, rock and roll, even classic music interspersed with variety shows, open-line, sports, - in other words a "broad" variety of entertainment.

But enough rambling. If there are any other old ex-CFGP-ers out there, I'd be glad to hear from you.
Fred Griffiths
spitsnrovers

Re: Greetings from ex-CFGP

Postby jon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:47 am

It's been a year and a half, so I wondered if there are any ex-CFGP staffers in our midst now.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 am

I'd love to track down some more of those mid 60s CFGP charts!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Becker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:09 pm

I'll go digging in the basement and see what pops up.
Becker

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 am

My first radio gig was at CFGP in '62. I seem to recall we were right next door to a hotel,and when the beer truck would unload the beer kegs, the whole station would shake. Needles jumped off records.( Hey, it was 1962 ) The staff were good people, and it was a great place to learn the business. Long Live The Voice Of The Inland Empire!
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca