Merry Christmas to all

Merry Christmas to all

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:34 pm

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all RadioWest dot ca members and visitors.

Thanks to everyone for another great year.

In the past few weeks I have talked to a few people about another Saturday or Sunday afternoon get together. The majority felt sometime in mid January would be a good time, once the Christmas / New Year's rush is over. Let us know what works best for you .. Saturday or Sunday, and a date.
Location wise, do we go back to Marine Drive? Or ...?

In the meantime .. all the best for the Holiday Season!

RF
Last edited by radiofan on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Mery Christmas to all

Postby cart_machine » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:46 pm

radiofan wrote:A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all RadioWest dot ca members and visitors.

Anyone here ever fired by a radio station over the Christmas holidays?

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:40 am

If the Indians had given the Pilgrim Fathers a donkey instead of a turkey, we all would be having a piece of ass for Christmas. :happy7:
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby David in North Burnaby » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:00 am

Thank you, radiofan. Merry Christmas to all and a very Happy New Year. And may you all be well employed. :)
("piece of ass" :lol: )
David in North Burnaby
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:13 am

If we were eating kats for dinner we would be eating out pussy. :roll:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:43 am

best christmas radio memory would've been my first year of working nights up in Quesnel...had two different people bring me Christmas dinner. ate one, saved the other for the next night shift!!!

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Merry Christmas to all!
I made my radio on-air debut on Christmas Eve, 1961 at CKOV in Kelowna after John Tanner called in sick!
I did manage to get all the taped 15 minute sponsored Christmas programs run in the proper order, using 3 Ampex 351's.
But when I signed off at 1am, I forgot to turn off the transmitter!
At least it was all toasty and warm when the station signed on again at 6am Christmas morning.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Anonymous wrote:best christmas radio memory would've been my first year of working nights up in Quesnel...had two different people bring me Christmas dinner. ate one, saved the other for the next night shift!!!

I worked Christmas morning 1976 at CJIB. The guy doing the 6am-noon run that morning was the usual mid-day guy who, if I recall, was also a chiropractor. One of the nicest guys there. By the way, that was the Christmas-time when Joe Chesney laid off something like a dozen people in Langley.

Anyway, Maury showed up with his Christmas spirit. This spirit came in a huge bottle. It was cracked open by about 6:10. I begged off, but he made a pretty good dent in it on his own by the end of the shift, and you could barely hear the effects on the air. Truly a marvel.

The lamest Christmas bit I ever heard was on a news broadcast when one of the all-night guys interviewed Santa .. and "Santa" was just him using another voice that was far too obviously his own. That's the kind of stuff you expect to hear in Quesnel, not on a major market.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:09 pm

cart_machine wrote:The lamest Christmas bit I ever heard was on a news broadcast when one of the all-night guys interviewed Santa .. and "Santa" was just him using another voice that was far too obviously his own. That's the kind of stuff you expect to hear in Quesnel, not on a major market.

cArtie.

You didn't hear Red on Clear a couple of weeks ago then when he was doing the morning show.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:24 pm

The only year in Radio that I worked Christmas Day was 1971 at CHQM. Because of the holiday bus schedules, I was there very early for my Operator shift that began at 9 a.m.

The announcer who was doing the live morning show on CHQM-AM had had a lot to drink, but still sounded OK on air. I don't know if he had been to bed as he never normally did Mornings.

But the music didn't sound so great, as the needles were both in trouble on the two turntables. I fixed one by just straightening it, but the other was beyond repair. So, I removed one from the Production Control Room, and he was back in business.

But there was Hell to Pay on December 27th as these were Shure Supertracks, and the station paid $35 each for needles in those days. Fortunately, it didn't come out of my pay cheque, as it would have taken me 14 hours to earn that if I didn't make any mistakes; 17.5 hours if I did. All of the part-time operators had received a conditional pay raise that Autumn. Our $2/hour wage went up to $2.50/hour for each hour we didn't make a mistake. Hey, we weren't complaining. Minimum wage for Males was $1.75 per hour at the time.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:56 pm

A very Merry Christmas to all the RadioWest gang!
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:59 pm

I should also mention that still, in 1971, CHQM ran no commercials on Christmas Day, as they had since their first Christmas, in 1959. Can't remember if the commercial ban started Christmas Eve, or at midnight.

I also cannot remember when they went 100% Christmas music. Best guess says not until 6 p.m. Christmas Eve. Because I do remember positively that the Christmas music stopped completely at 6 p.m. on Boxing Day.

I also worked Boxing Day in 1971, but operating on CHQM-FM (I was operating AM on Christmas Day). I ran out of supplied music at 5:50:08 p.m., so played Quincy Jones' version of "What's Going On?" as I remembered it was 9:52 long, which would end just in time for the 6 p.m. News. Who could argue with a song about Peace?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:44 pm

Someone should remind casual non media people that find their way into this forum, that the humour content can be off the wall, and no offense is intended :)

All of the best to everyone in the coming year !

And so this is christmas...
PMC

Postby JCritty » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:46 pm

A few merry thoughts...

1) Cartie: Stop being Buzzkill McScroogington.

2) Happy Chrismukwanzukkah to all. I'll think of all the good radiowest times of '07 whilst I'm gazing at the Jeremy Squared Festivus Yuca.

3) Happy New Year. May all your radio be filled with critty.
JCritty
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Jeremy Crittenden wrote:Cartie: Stop being Buzzkill McScroogington.

That's him, That's him....officer stop that man!!
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca