View Most Recent Posts

View Most Recent Posts

Postby jon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:27 pm

You can now see the last 3 days of active topics on RadioWest.ca. Simply go to the Radiowest.ca home page, and there it is, at the top of the page. Newest post first.

Enjoy!
Last edited by jon on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Jon - thanks for that - it does give some record of just how many posts there are over the longer haul

I had hoped it would be possible within the php program - but alas..
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:11 pm

A "View Most Recent Posts" link is now also available, top and centre, on every page of the Forum.

I was never able to find a MOD that would do this within phpBB. Technically, it is possible to redesign the complete Forum home page, and then build the View Posts functionality within phpBB. But it would have been at least 10 times as much work as the way I've done it, using the Etomite software (that was used initially for the Edmonton Broadcasters Club site, and will be gradually used for all our other web sites, as soon as Version 1.2 is released in the months ahead). Etomite is Open Source software, which means there are no bills to pay.

Most of the requests we got for this feature, by the way, were from those who wanted to be sure they hadn't missed any posts since the last time they did a detailed look, which wasn't necessarily their last visit. Which is why the "View posts since last visit" link on the front page of the forum really "wasn't good enough".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm

From the "Recent Posts" list, you can click on any highlighted topic and it is a direct link to that thread.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Great feature - good on the admin

Now to quote a phrase from radio news - what's next?

Here is why the feature should be good for all - sometimes something is posted and within minutes if not seconds - someone else posts something.. and only one post can be at the top of the list.

So some items miss the eye of regulars. I will be clicking on both buttons
"posts since last visit" and the recent post list until a new habit forms.

A word or suggestion directed more at me than any one else - the subject line should contain a name of a personality, a station etc - if you want to attract the eye. Sometimes some of my headlines are more of a mystery than anything else.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Top Dog wrote:
A word or suggestion directed more at me than any one else - the subject line should contain a name of a personality, a station etc - if you want to attract the eye. Sometimes some of my headlines are more of a mystery than anything else.

Wow .. Poor ole TD has been retired less than one day, and already he's talking to himself ..
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 pm

radiofan wrote:Wow .. Poor ole TD has been retired less than one day, and already he's talking to himself ..

Don't you mean even MORE retired! ;)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:02 pm

I might be the tire 'bites' but you are the tube! :shock:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca