CKLG Jim Hault's Stoned Ranger series 1972?

CKLG Jim Hault's Stoned Ranger series 1972?

Postby Raymondo » Sun May 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Hey CKLG listeners from the early 70's
Does anybody remember the Stoned Ranger and his faithful Indian companion Tronto? Jim Hault concocted this morning padody and I tried to never miss an eposide. It was sponsored by Texan Restaurants. Is there any surviving recordings of this series? I would love to relive the days.
Raymondo
Coquitlam
Raymondo

Re: CKLG Jim Hault's Stoned Ranger series 1972?

Postby jon » Sun May 31, 2009 3:06 pm

I have no recordings, but I certainly remember the series. Chilliwack always seemed to find its way into the storyline, too, as I recall.

To be honest, I heard about it more from friends at the time, as I was almost exclusively a CKLG-FM listener by 1972. Admittedly, I also listened to CHQM as I was an Operator there until May 1972.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun May 31, 2009 6:35 pm

I recall Hault in the CFUN days... very time he did a time check, a duck would quack. Don't know if it was a Baby Duck... but that's for another thread.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun May 31, 2009 10:48 pm

I think Tom Rivers of CHUM fame originated the feature ..

From Rock Radio Scrapbook and Warren Cosfords tribute to Tom Rivers ...

Whenever he left CHUM, for whatever reasons he left, Tom always kept in touch. One time a tape arrived from Philadelphia. It contained episode after episode of a 2 minute radio series chronicling the adventures of The Stoned Ranger and his Indian companion Toronto that Tom and come cohorts had written and produced for WIBG. It was brilliant. Rock and Roll Theatre of The Mind Radio. I’m sure "The Kids" had never heard anything like it.

The Stoned Ranger was as harmless as Bob and Ray and probably less provocative than Amos and Andy, however The Lone Ranger’s lawyers and The Indian Nations’ Chiefs were not amused. Lesson learned. In the future, Tom’s Characters would be Caucasians who didn’t hold copyrights

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/tom-nov04.html
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Raymondo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:46 pm

I also was strictly a CKLG listener. What else was there? Don Messer, C&W, & Elevator music. I couldn't afford an FM radio on paper route money, not that there was a lot on FM which seemed to "only come out at night". I was delivering The Province for 3 years 71-73 at 4:30AM with a $5 transistor radio taped to my handle bars. It gave me a great appreciation for CKLG Top 30 tunes, and to this day I can still remember most of the lyrics to all that old stuff. I cut out the Top 30 list every week from the paper, and pasted it in a scrap book. (that's long gone) I have re-collected loads of those tunes in MP3 format in recent years. Now, if I had The Stone Ranger to add to the collection, I'd be in Hillbilly Heaven!
Raymondo

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 pm

When Jim Hault joined CFUN to do mornings, he developed another character whose "name" escapes me but in todays references would be based on the personna of Perez Hilton.

To obtain the appropriate voice, we wrapped several turns of scotch tape around the capstan of the Ampex 350 to speed up the playback slightly and raise the voice several octaves and Jim would interact with the guy.

There were some very funny bits done on-air well before the days of being politically correct.

Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:52 am

Hi everybody, just afew things. The Stoned Ranger was a Tom Rivers thing. I just pushed the button. As to the quacking duck at CFUN,that was Chuck McCoy's idea. I just pushed the button. I never had an original idea in 30 years on the air. I guess I did some pretty good faking.
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 am

EX-BOSSJOCK wrote:Hi everybody, just afew things. The Stoned Ranger was a Tom Rivers thing. I just pushed the button. As to the quacking duck at CFUN,that was Chuck McCoy's idea. I just pushed the button. I never had an original idea in 30 years on the air. I guess I did some pretty good faking.

30 years?...You must have been pretty good at pushing buttons!!
:wink:
Welcome to the board.
:D
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Raymondo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am

That was a Jane Jetson original: "Hard day at the button George dear?"
Raymondo

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:37 am

One button I could handle , the other knobs and dials were beyond me. Thus requiring the station to hire an operator. I had abunch of them.whom I rode relentlessly. McCoy would tell them," if you can work with THIS guy , you'll make it in this business".
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 pm

When I worked all nights, I would start praying around 5:45 that John Tucker would show (or at least show not hungover) otherwise, I'd have to stay and op for JH until, whenever. It may not have been easy but it was always interesting.
Whatever you say about Jim Hault, at least he didn't throw carts. Wolfman used to throw carts.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hazmat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 pm

How about the infamous (and hilarious) "wokking with Yang."

A recurring takeoff of BCTV's Yan program, that one featured
JH himself (the voice was recognizable, if only barely), sped up
to a crazed mock oriental falsetto. Don't know if the politically
correct police would permit it today. But it was great for a
laugh, back in the day...

Haz
hazmat
Advanced Member

Postby EX-BOSSJOCK » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:29 pm

I met Yan once, and he thought the bit was funny. But you're right, you could never get away with it today. Too bad.
EX-BOSSJOCK
Advanced Member

Postby John Morris » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 am

Dear Friends, I thank you for these elderly comments about "Stoned Ranger".Living and working in Edmonton in 1972 the series was essencial listening. I was over from London working nights as an office cleaner,living in a large shared house and called" Monk out to lunch".Recently after reading about Firestone Theatre's Peter Bergman's death I remembered "Stoned Ranger".Are there any scripts,recordings etc around? All the best to you in Canada,kind regards, love and peace
John Morris

Postby Rich Elwood » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Hey All,

I remember The Stoned Ranger. My dear old friend and mentor and sadly the late "Shotgun" Tom Rivers wrote and produced it in Toronto. He syndicated it to a few stations. I guess Jim Hault ran it out here. A very funny feature. Rivers also parodied (much to the chigrin of J. Bob) his competitor down Yonge Street at CFRB - afternoon drive personality Bill Deagan. Tom called it Bill Dugan and his operator "Jerkie" - Deagan's op was Jackie. He mocked Deagan's schlocky style. Wood was right, it was very inside but it was f^*#king hilarious!!!

I gave Tom an idea for a character that he did in later years and that was his French Canadian counterpart "Trois Riviers." Tom was an incredbly talented guy and along with Terry Steele and Mike Cooper I will always be in their debt for the encouragement and mentoring they gave to me when I started.
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca