The Station That STARTED at 1040AM

The Station That STARTED at 1040AM

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Team 1040 seems to have finally made some money for the spooked spot on the dial.

I was trying to remember ALL the stations before that tried to make a go of it at 1040 and need some help to follow the bouncing ball.

Here's what I think I know:

800 CJJC Langley ran from about '75 to '85 and changed to CJUP "UP800";
later became known as CKST;
then became known as CKST COAST 800 in 1990;

CKST COAST 800 then moved over the 1040 dial position.

Some time before then , I believe, 1040 KICKS was on that haunted spot on the dial (1988-ish maybe - sounded great!).
Anyone remember if there was another format before the owners became CIMA MAGIC 104? They carried Larry King at night and Doc in the morning...

I think then the old staff left floating by CHUM's CHQM ethnic sale including Brian Brenn and Terry Bell purchased it and turned it into Q-104?

After that was this when CHUM purchased it?

Real interesting history with that spot on the dial to say the least!

The BIG MISSING gap for me is what station STARTED on the 1040 dial position?

Was it actually called AM1040 as the first station out of the gate?
Didn't Abbott also do an evening talk show from their "stanley Park" studio on Pender?

(I think they gave away a really gargantuan radio prize for its time, was it a large sum of cash every year for life or a house or something. Did it actually get awarded or was it just an "insured" prize risk presentation? Curious where the winner is today!)
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: The Station That STARTED at 1040AM

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 am

My understanding of the flow was...
Monarch broadcasting had a big share of the 1040 ownership...
it went like this...
1040 Kicks - to take on LG73 at the time
Rock 1040
Q104
Magic 104
then coast moved in there about 92-93?
Kevin Gemmell
Station Manager/General Sales Manager
CHWK FM - Chilliwack, BC
A division of FABMAR Communications Ltd.
Kevin

Postby cart_machine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:27 am

PicturesForYourEars wrote:I was trying to remember ALL the stations before that tried to make a go of it at 1040 and need some help to follow the bouncing ball..

It was originally CIOF, an MOR station. Don Hamilton owned it. Paul McKnight was the PD (and told me they weren't going to hire a production manager then did) and Barry Gaudin was doing mornings.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:59 am

Prior to being CIOF 1040, the station was originally going to be on 540 and was licensed to Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows. There was major problems with unstable ground along the Pitt River when crews were attempting to build the transmitter site. The move to 1040 happened when it was decided the transmitter site would be moved closer to Vancouver. Any Delta/Richmond site for 540 would have been too close to co-channel KARI 550 in Blaine. The I-O-F in the call letters stood for 1-0-4.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:04 am

Originally it was just AM 1040, with an NW style mix of music and info. Paul Mcknight was PD, Dave Hankinson ND, I was SD, Barry
Gaudin did mornings,Al Ferabee mid-days I think. Barry Forward and Elaine S. were among those in the newsroom...I think we lasted about a year, before the format change
to 1040 kicks, but it's a little fuzzy. The contest was "pay your mortgage," I believe a Don Hamilton-Mcknight creation, but can't remember
for sure. The view of the harbour on the morning show was spectacular, but our ratings unfortunately were not. :wink:
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Bob Dawson, "the morning muffin" from CJJC was the promo person at Magic 104 when I made a TV spot for them. They had Larry King and Pat Burns doing his show from the Century Plaza. I remember going into my office and there was a message for me from "Frank Sinatra's office". They gave me permission to use a photo of old blue eyes in the spot. They played MOR music with Burns and King in the evening. I don't remember who they had on air. I think it was one of the last times I saw Burns in this decrepit little studio high up in the hotel. They had a little network of stations but it was a sad ending to a great career.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Tuned was that in the days of Pat Burns on BNI (Broadcast Network Incorporated)? When the network consisted of CKRW Whitehorse, which was also carried on satellite, and an affiliate in St. Louis, Missouri.

Pat a had a couple of regular callers from St. Louis which at times made for an interesting segment. However, the show went for long stretches with a single caller and just didn't have the energy of the shows on CJOR or even CKO.

I think I have a demo tape somewhere around here from the BNI days.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Yes....I remember there was a station in St. Louis. I don't think the network or the show lasted very long.
tuned
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca