Happy Birthday John Sykes

Re: Happy Birthday John Sykes

Postby YesterDaze » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 pm

johnsykes wrote:Oh do I wish that CJOR had afforded me the opportunity that Dan Russell got later....Oh do I wish that Team-1040 had happened many years ago.
Happy Birthday John! You are the only old fart I know of who doesn't think we old farts had the best time to be in radio... the best era that is. I wouldn't want the business the bloodless, heartless way it's operating today. I don't think I'd be able to get a toe-hold in radio if I were starting out today. And I sure wouldn't be able to support a family on the starvation wages.

But for you .. I wish all-sports radio had shown up a few decades earlier. That might have been a very good experience for you, in terms of offering a forum for your interests and talents.

When I was in radio our sales people were basically order-takers .. they had the cream of the crop of accounts. Now it's called beating the bushes .. and I understand the pickings aren't great.

Isn't it great the way the good times of our youth, seen in the rearview mirror, are much rosier than they actually were? The good stuff becomes the fuel of nostalgia, while the real problems and challenges of yore are all but forgotten, if we're lucky.
YesterDaze
Advanced Member

Re: Happy Birthday John Sykes

Postby johnsykes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Actually, you got me wrong...I do, indeed, believe we worked in radio when it was the job to be in. No question about that!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca