RadioWest November GTG

RadioWest November GTG

Postby radiofan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Halloween will be history ... Daylight Saving Time will be history ... The World Series will be history ....

How about a Pre-Christmas RadioWest.ca GTG?

Why not join us on Sunday November 8th ...

Time: Noon til ???

We hope to see the usual gang plus a few new faces ...

Location: Marine Pub in Burnaby. Near the corner of Marine Drive and Gilley, just west of Byrne Road. Website.

If you need directions, ask here or email.

The location is Transit friendly. #100 "22nd Street Station" bus runs from the Marpole Loop east along Marine Drive. There is a stop almost at the door. From Skytrain get off at 22nd Street station and catch the #100 "Marpole Loop", there is a bus stop across the street from the pub.

If you plan to join us, please let us know...either by posting here or sending an email to: party@radiowest.ca .. just so we have a rough idea of how much space we will need.

Hope to see you on Sunday the 8th!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: RadioWest November GTG

Postby Steve Sanderson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Count me in.
8-)
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:53 pm

radiofan wrote:Location: Marine Pub in Burnaby. Near the corner of Marine Drive and Gilley, just west of Byrne Road.

Didn't we once have our own private "Media Club" for these sorts of get-togethers?

... and how and when did our own private "Media Club" manage to become a public venue... so that we are now forced to meet somewhere else?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:57 pm

Wasn't there a media club back in the 1970's? No idea if it still exists or what happened to it.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

radiofan wrote:Wasn't there a media club back in the 1970's? No idea if it still exists or what happened to it.

Yes... We did have our own private "Media Club", started by a group of the radio reporters who had worked out of the old press room on the fourth floor of City Hall... directly above council chambers.

Originally, the club was next door to the back entrance of the Orpheum on Seymour, until the Orpheum took over the property to expand its main lobby south to Smithe Street. The club was then moved to the location behind the Queen Elizabeth Theatre on Cambie to be closer to the CBC building, where it still is to this very day...

But... Somehow, we lost control of it and now it's a public night spot... See: http://www.themediaclub.ca/... which makes me just a little bit P-O'd, mine being one of the ten signatures from that old city hall press room group of radio reporters on the Media Club's original license application.

I still have my key to the club's front door, but I don't suppose for even a moment that it still works.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:05 am

Wasn't the "media" or "press" club across from the old Pacific Press site on the South Granville slope at one time? Seem to remember a few brews being imbibed there.
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:37 pm

And as we move back to the topic at hand... ;) .... I might even have breakfast!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 pm

BossRadio wrote:Wasn't the "media" or "press" club across from the old Pacific Press site on the South Granville slope at one time? Seem to remember a few brews being imbibed there.

Yes, the Press Club... for those print types in the "Press" ... was right across the street from the old Pac Press building.

The Media Club was started so that we "Media" types in broadcasting could have our own place that was different and separate from those in the newspaper side of the game.

... back in the days when we still made a distinction between the "Press"... those "ink-stained wretches" who work in print... and the "Media"... those of us who work with microphones and cameras.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:And as we move back to the topic at hand... ;) .... I might even have breakfast!

Burger, egg and fries??
:wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:36 pm

sandclan wrote:
Russ_Byth wrote:And as we move back to the topic at hand... ;) .... I might even have breakfast!

Burger, egg and fries??

You forgot bacon! (low salt of course)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:
sandclan wrote:

Burger, egg and fries??

You forgot bacon! (low salt of course)

Sounds tempting.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:01 pm

I'll have the ambulance standing by.... :albino:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Count me in also. Just in case there is a "flare up" involving food or friends, I'll bring the extinguisher.
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Great to hear Firedog. Among others, John Sykes and Gord Lansdell will also be attending.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:38 pm

You guys talking about the Press Club and Media Club.....remember, you radio/TV types when we got our fingers rapped if we talked about a press conference on air. News conference it was...not Press Conference....methinks that has gone by the wayside.

Looking forward to meeting all my adversaries on Sunday!

Sykes
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca