Show Of Hearts Challenge

Show Of Hearts Challenge

Postby sparky » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:17 pm

The annual Show Of Hearts Telethon airs tonight and tomorrow on Global. With all the attention focused on Haiti the past few weeks, this could be a tough year for the Variety Club folks. Please dig deep and help out with whatever you can spare. Remember, this cash stays at home and helps kids in our own backyard.

I don't have a lot, but I will be pledging $50 along with a challenge to all other former and current radio people to meet or beat. How about maybe a $50 dollar pledge and challenge to anyone else that has been kicked off a radio gossip board?

I can honestly say I do miss the days of showing up at the Queen E Theatre and reading pledges at 6AM on Sunday!

Please give what you can. These people do great work.

Stan
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Re: Show Of Hearts Challenge

Postby jon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Wow! I'd totally forgotten that I'd gone to the QE Theatre back in the early 1970s to sit in the audience for a while when Theo was on stage representing CJVB.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 pm

sparky wrote:I don't have a lot, but I will be pledging $50 along with a challenge to all other former and current radio people to meet or beat. How about maybe a $50 dollar pledge and challenge to anyone else that has been kicked off a radio gossip board? Stan

Done. Great idea Stan!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:34 pm

jon wrote:Wow! I'd totally forgotten that I'd gone to the QE Theatre back in the early 1970s to sit in the audience for a while when Theo was on stage representing CJVB.

This, of course, being back in the days when the entire telethon was aired live from Vancouver. In the last few years, at least since Global took over BCTV (AFAIK), much of the telethon broadcast now consists of pre-taped concert footage from the U.S. and Europe, done in a PBS-style pledge setup (as the Vancouver Radio Museum puts it). Methinks that the switch to the current format was made because Canwest was/is too cheap to chip in for talent to appear live at the QE (or at the Orpheum, on those rare occasions when the QE was unavailable) like BCTV's previous owners did.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 pm

ThisIsNotCBC wrote:
jon wrote:Wow! I'd totally forgotten that I'd gone to the QE Theatre back in the early 1970s to sit in the audience for a while when Theo was on stage representing CJVB.

This, of course, being back in the days when the entire telethon was aired live from Vancouver. In the last few years, at least since Global took over BCTV (AFAIK), much of the telethon broadcast now consists of pre-taped concert footage from the U.S. and Europe, done in a PBS-style pledge setup (as the Vancouver Radio Museum puts it). Methinks that the switch to the current format was made because Canwest was/is too cheap to chip in for talent to appear live at the QE (or at the Orpheum, on those rare occasions when the QE was unavailable) like BCTV's previous owners did.

What does it matter? Its still for the kids.
(And personally, I'd rather watch Paul McCartney than Wanda from Whalley twirling her batons)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 pm

I did so many "show of Hearts" and Timmy's and Christmas this, and that etc, and one of the best parts of the job.

Best emcee = Rick Honey. He was wonderful, Red is great and kudos to Jill and the ever smooth Wayne for a nice job tonight.

I have chosen Haiti and Doctors Without Borders - you pick one and give what you can.

We are so blessed.

I was blessed to be able to help even a little on so many Telethons.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:04 am

ThisIsNotCBC wrote:

Actually, It had nothing to do with anyone being cheap. I heard an interview with the producer of the show, and he claimed that the old way of doing the telethon, with little kids dancing the Highland fling just didn't bring in viewers? Go figure? I remember tuning in to those original telethons too, and while it was different, it was also like watching a train wreck. When they were able to get the overnight ratings as opposed to the ballot ratings, it became clear that only parents of the kids and the grandparents were watching. Small viewing audience translates into small amounts of money. The switch to the PBS style of Paul McCartney concert type shows brought in a bigger audience and therefore a larger number of viewers and more money for the cause. When you think about it, what would you rather watch?
:occasion7:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Nice job. $7.4 million raised as of the last total of the broadcast. Considering the Telethon was about 2 weeks earlier than usual, and the monetary demands made by other global events, that's a nice sum for the kids. :cheers: :cheers: (Last year's total was $8.1 million)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca