Search is Back - Now Three Letters

Postby jon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:36 pm

RadioWest.ca is now running on a new Industrial Strength web server which allowed me to build a search index for the site within the last half hour.

So, Search is back, in the top right corner of most pages.

As before, four letters is the shortest "word" you can search for in posts. To get it down to three characters, useful given the existence of three letter call letters, will take a little investigation as tests I did a couple of years ago indicated it would take several days to build the search index! Maybe our newer, faster hardware will make it possible to do in a lot less.

Of course, as mentioned in another thread, you can always search using Google:
site:radiowest.ca/forum cky
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Search is Back

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Works great Jon!

Found 12 instances of "tin foil" faster than you can say "chemtrails."
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:57 pm

I think I'm going to like this new web server. About half an hour and we have a complete search index "done the hard way", but allowing me to set how small an item can be searched. I set it to 3 characters, which means that searches for WLS, KOL, KJR and CKY now work.

This "hard way method" also cuts the size of the database more than in half for the RadioWest.ca discussion forum. A big help, because it will speed up backups and any web hosting moves we do in the future.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Search is Back - Now Three Letters

Postby jon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 am

The better "Three Letter Search" is back, after a short vacation while I resolved an issue with certain characters in a few posts that got corrupted in one of our changes to web hosting sites in early December.

Searches for CKY, CBU, WLS, WBZ, KOL, KJR, KVI, KKK and KFC are now working again. Assuming, of course, that there are posts that mention each....
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Welcome to RadioWest.ca