Long Gone Commercial Tag Lines .....

Bits and Pieces of BC Radio History

Re: Long Gone Commercial Tag Lines .....

Postby jon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:57 pm

July 1958 Edmonton
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Were retailers closed all day or part of the day on Tuesdays in Edmonton?

While we're talking retail sales days, let's not forget 9 Cents Day at Army & Navy!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:10 pm

I checked the July 1958 newspapers, and Woodward's was open regular hours on Tuesdays. Eaton's closed at 12:30 pm Wednesday, and The Bay at 1pm, so I suspect Woodward's was also closed Wednesday afternoon, and open 9-9 on Thursday like The Bay. Hard to be sure, since Woodward's seems to have had a policy of not advertising in the Tuesday afternoon Edmonton Journal, and there was no other paper in Edmonton in those days.

Funny and fun to see the venerable Healy Motors advertising Edsels as "YOUR BEST BUY NOW!", and not calling themselves Healy Ford as they have since I moved here nearly 40 years ago. They were Healy Motors, your Ford and Edsel dealer.

Also a quarter page ad from Westminster toilet paper, in pink, yellow or aqua. And white, if you really insist on it.

The entire radio schedule, from 5pm-midnight, had CHED playing rock and roll, as Hit Parade, Top Fifty or Club 1080. CJCA only shows Club 930 from 5-6pm, but, as I said, the schedule only starts at 5pm, so they likely were running it earlier, when kids first got home from school.

CJDC in Dawson Creek is also listed as running Club 1350 from 7pm to midnight, with one or two half hours off for shows like Assignment Scotland Yard.
jon
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to BC Radio History