Scott Russell CJIB & Dale Toews CKIK

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Postby radiofan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:27 pm

Scott Russell doing mid-days at 94 CJIB in Vernon from September 7, 1989

Scott Russell aircheck Click Here

plus

From 107 KIK FM in Calgary, PM Drive with Dale Toews from November 21, 1989

Dale Toews aircheck Click Here
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:40 pm

radiofan wrote: Scott Russell doing mid-days at 94 CJIB in Vernon from September 7, 1989

Well, he's no Frank Martina.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks for the airchecks Radiofan.

I particularly enjoyed hearing Dale Toews on 107 KIK fm. My favourite era at KIK was from 1989 to about 1992-3 before the "KIK collection" years. I think Dale succeeded Wes Erickson as PM drive host.

Later Dale would move to mornings as part of "Dale and Greg on KIK." I can't for the life of me think of Greg's last name. Greg ended up at Z99 in Red Deer and Dale headed to Vancouver.

Last I saw/heard of Greg he had a Canadian comedy TV show. Don't remember seeing more than one episode though.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:36 pm

Hopefully my brain, although slow, has it the right in thinking that it was Greg Scott who co-hosted with Dale Toews on KIK before heading to Red Deer's Z-99.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Frank was a cool dude, worked with him in the early 80's, he was also
a part-time cop. Ask Scott about the time he(Scott) fell down rounding third in the
softball game against the Habs. The boys (Gainey, Nilan, the late Doug Wickenheiser, and I think either Guy C. or Mario Tremblay,) went
out for a few pops with us after. Never been a big Habs fan, but they were
fun to hang with. That was a great radio station (CJIB) to be at in your
early 20's in the Okanagan in those days. We had big fun mon.
Never forget Craig Marlow and I driving Willie Stargell to the airport in
Calgary in the dead of winter, after the winter carnival. Amazed we got "pops"
there. He starts the trip, wearing a big fur coat, gives us a 100 bucks U.S. or
so and says "go get us some chickens". Maybe he meant chicks? :blink:
Yeah, it's great to start in Vancouver, like almost everybody does now, but I wouldn't have missed that stuff for anything.
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby Scott Russell » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:42 pm

I couldn't agree with glaherty any more about what someone can take away from
a small to medium market vs starting in a big market.(which back in the day was almost impossible) Glaherty and I worked in the Okanagan together(lived in same building as I recall..I think I still have some of your cutlery that you left me when you cleaned out your stuff.heading for a bigger market ha ha)

And thank you for remembering me slipping on third base in an exhibition fastball game against the HABS..1983..but don't forget I was one of the few to get a hit against Steve Shutt and the boys at the venerable Polson PARK.. which I believe has burnt down since..

p.s. Is that aircheck of mine above the worst bit of radio ever heard on-line.
Whoever is responsible..I don't know where you got that..but ..please do
a mission impossible job on that tape .I don't recall ever being that bad..don't we all ...You know I DID jock in fairly big markets..CKDA etc..but that is a damning piece of audio..hahahhahah..
But who doesnt like lost animals Farm fair promos and baby birth announcements ..Who has to do show prep?

Scott Russell
(now back in a small market...I think I have this whole..getting ahead in the
business thing backwards....cheers!!!!
Scott Russell

Postby cart_machine » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:12 am

Scott Russell wrote: p.s. Is that aircheck of mine above the worst bit of radio ever heard on-line.

The world is fortunate that reel-to-reel machines are obsolete. Several old airchecks of mine reside on reels which are now unplayable for the throngs of people who would say "So that's why his show had a zero rating."

Evidently others had equally poor programmes as there was one fellow at CJJC who would steal my jokes and use them on his weekend show.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Scott Russell » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:49 am

Yes Cartie..

I have a huge box of reel to reels myself..that I've carted around the
15 or so markets..I've visited..Just can't give up...There there are the
cassettes...I'm sure a LOT of people can relate.

When I was at WX, and they were cleaning out the cart machines and going
to burli etc..our old engineer Vijay was throwing out a cart machine..was
tempted..wouldn't a cart machine that doesnt play anything go well with
reel to reels that you can't play...?

I bet there are some old radio people out there that have an old spotmaster
kicking around..(that could be a thread of its own)

By the way ..good choice on the aristocarts graphic..cartie..but I found that it was
much more fun to throw fidelipacs..they broke up real good..!!!

Scott Russell
Scott Russell

Postby cart_machine » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 am

Scott Russell wrote:By the way ..good choice on the aristocarts graphic..cartie..

Twasn't me. Someone else picked it out and uploaded it. I tried to put up an animated .gif and it wouldn't work.

Scott Russell wrote: but I found that it was
much more fun to throw fidelipacs..they broke up real good..!!!

Throw? You sure you're not Brian Decker?

I'm glad whoever uploaded the show, though. Haven't thought of Doug Blackie in years. I'm not sure whether 'IB was using that news sounder when I was there; I remember using it somewhere.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Dale » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:34 pm

albertaboy4life wrote: Thanks for the airchecks Radiofan.

I particularly enjoyed hearing Dale Toews on 107 KIK fm. My favourite era at KIK was from 1989 to about 1992-3 before the "KIK collection" years. I think Dale succeeded Wes Erickson as PM drive host.

Later Dale would move to mornings as part of "Dale and Greg on KIK." I can't for the life of me think of Greg's last name. Greg ended up at Z99 in Red Deer and Dale headed to Vancouver.

Last I saw/heard of Greg he had a Canadian comedy TV show. Don't remember seeing more than one episode though.

Thanks albertaboy. Those are the years I had the most fun I ever had in radio. Yes I did follow Wes in drive and moved to mornings (everyone did if you stayed there long enough) later to be joined by an old friend Gregg Scott who I had worked with previously and then had switched to doing stand-up. We laughed and laughed every morning...until we got fired. All worked out great for me though.
Dale

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:38 am

It must have been great to have been around kik at that time. Many consider that station as the last example of "true" radio.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Dale » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:04 am

Ya, it was a lot of fun. I feel lucky to have been there. I think we were able to have some success with the incredibly wide playlist we had because the other fm stations there at the time weren't all that good. Everybody's tightened up now and it would never work today.

Great music, great staff, mountain bike team with new mountain bike every spring, ski equipment, accomodations at the hill...ahh, the last days of the big freebies.
Dale

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:44 pm

So what derailed the station?

And, what ever happened to Paul Boucher?
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Dale » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Probably a few reasons. Lack of clear direction, a new morning show every 10-14 months. And the other stations were getting better and we weren't. That station built up a great brand name in such a short period of time and blew it almost as quickly. It was fun while it lasted.

Paul has always had a successful career in voice work (English and French). Actually just heard him do an excellent job on a national tv documentary.
Dale

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:22 pm

Its good that Scott has sobered up since the time that aircheck was done! He hardly ever rambles now! ;) (Oh, and he's REALLY happy it has surfaced again after 3 months!)
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Next

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)