Doc [Gil] Harris and Wolfman Jack aircheck

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Postby radiofan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:34 am

Just posted in the RadioWest.ca AIRCHECKS section...a great aircheck of GIL HARRIS and WOLFMAN JACK together for an hour on CKLG from November of 1974!

DOC HARRIS & WOLFMAN JACK AIRCHECK
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Flash Frizbone » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:22 am

Wonderful stuff..as a broadcaster and aircheck collector I have to give the Wolfman credit man..he was incredible..and such a nice guy..happy birthday everyone..now off to the cold Molsons!
Flash Frizbone
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:08 am

the adventures of bay man...........wow radio ...........you will never hear again....

radio stations must have been passing out the doobies to get that level of
creativity and fun on the air....even feedback

and Faux doing remotes
butch
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:48 pm

The Doc and Wolfman aircheck should be a must listen for any kid in BCIT today. This was real radio at it's best with two great personalities entertaining the masses!

Thank you for sharing this gem.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Donovan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:49 am

Definitely an enjoyable listen. Great to hear two extraordinarily creative personalities working together and spelling one another off. On another note, what was the reason for/story behind "Gil" becoming "Doc"? I assume this change occured when he moved to mornings in 1975?
Donovan

Postby segueking2 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:03 pm

I did one hour with Wolfman, when I was at a certain Ottawa radio station...in 1975.

This was one INCREDIBLE GUY> he pitted the VU meter he was so forceful.

My op - Dave Galbraith, just about fell out of his chair.

The first thing "Wolf" asked me was for (sorry to ruin some reputations_) a bag of smoke! (* addenda: HE WAS DISCREET and VEEERRY cool....a class act..all the way....)
"I cain't bring that stuff across da Border, and the Wolfman don't do a show unless he has that certain GLOW, if you know what I mean..."

He was funny - kind - nice...all of the above and later that night we blasted over to Hull in my beat up Mazda and we drank beer until three in the morning. Actually I drank beer - he drank rum and Milk!

An honor to even meet the guy and I wish I had an aircheck - which of course, being an IDIOT, I don't!
ADDENDA: N.Sennheiser relates flying carts - I don't remember that - but I do remember he was all in black and he travelled with a manager or friend, whose name escapes me. He was Wolf's manager....for the Road....as I think Mrs. Wolfman handled ' the biz".
segueking2
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:22 pm

sorry for buttin in

a note to Donovan

Gilbert Auchinleck (Doc Harris aka Doc Holiday and Gil Harris) born August 3, 1948

Doc Harris - As Gil Harris: CKDA/CFMS-FM Victoria 1966-69; CJAT Trail BC 1969-70; AMD CKOM Saskatoon 1970; CKSO Sudbury ON 1970-71; AMD CHAM Hamilton 1971; as Doc Holiday CFTR Toronto 1971-73; as Gil Harris PMD CKLG Vancouver 1973-76; as Doc Harris: AMD CKLG 1976-83; AMD CFMI-FM Vancouver 1984-86; AMD CKKS-FM Vancouver 1986-89; AMD CKXY Vancouver 1989-90; AMD/PMD/weekend fill-in CKNW Vancouver 1990-92; AMD CFUN Vancouver 1992-93; fill-in CKNW 1993-2001; weekends then AMD CISL Vancouver 2002-03; commercials/voice imaging current; co-host weekly feature Dan Gardener's Automotive Intelligence CISL 2006-current.

(source - vancouverbroadcasters)
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:12 am

Sat in with the Wolfman while he did his show in Winnipeg, 1978-ish, CFRW.
Same story as Segueking related...Wolf wanted some smoke but he was very discreet about consumption of same (lots of young listener fans around where ever he went and we had a packed in-studio audience).
My buddy Tim Bradley operated for him on the gig and had to keep one eye out for flying Fidelipacs headed his way. Wolfman had a habit of tossing his choices of music carts to his op, baseball style. No malice, just all energy and fun, but you had to keep a sharp watch or you might catch one in the ear.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:53 pm

I chatted with the Wolfman around 1974-75 in Trail...Wolfman was a solid and sincere promoter of all things, including himself... very polite, and more than a few giggles.... he was touring with Roy Orbison, Dr Hook, and Bob Lind (Elusive Butterfly being a tune of his).
PMC

Postby Frenchie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Sorry to be the bothersome ignorant music junkie, but what is the first song Doc plays in this aircheck? And what is the name of the song that Doc and the Wolfman "aren't laughing at the content of"?
Frenchie

Postby radiofan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Frenchie wrote:Sorry to be the bothersome ignorant music junkie, but what is the first song Doc plays in this aircheck? And what is the name of the song that Doc and the Wolfman "aren't laughing at the content of"?

First song is "Everyday People" by Sly & The Family Stone .. the other is a piece of VanCon CanCon called "Carrie's Gone" by J.C. Stone.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)