Shayne Again.

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Shayne Again.

Postby BossRadio » Sun May 02, 2010 8:22 am

It's been wayyyy too long since a time since we've had a chance to enjoy the talents of the "Semi-Legendary Showbiz Shayne' on a nightly basis. The man ruled the overnight airwaves in Vancouver for a few short years,with his amazing theatre-of-the-mind style of radio.

For those of you who missed it the first few times around,and you noobs too, here is a thoughtful dead-tree piece on JB by blogger Michael Klassen from some years back.

DAMN, would I give the WORLD to see a clip of Shayne hosting that "dance music" show! Anyone in K-town media got one in their video collection?

BR

http://www.michaelklassen.com/jb-shayne-radio-god/
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Re: Shayne Again.

Postby hagopian » Sun May 02, 2010 9:52 am

Hands down the most inventive and wonderful mind to ever grace our airwaves. Mr. Atnikov could do a 5 minute Olympia Pizza ad, and turn it into a Soap Opera. The base stupidity of Radio managers and owners is best personified in his story.
The most talented are the least understood.
To TDM's credit - he just got out of the way.
I am proud to call JB an 'acquaintance' and consider him the absolute best at what he did.
I would be be happier to hear that he is alive and well.

I saw Jolly John Tanner recently and he is hale and hearty and still the ebullient, interested and wonderful man that he is.

We have some AMAZING people in our business.

God Bless Joel Atnikov.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 am

Great article! Amusingly, the first time it circulated on a radio board, it turned into a knock-down, drag 'em out, argument about whether or not JB was "Shane" in the early days, rather than the "Shayne" he became.

For those who haven't heard them, there are some nice, though very short, clips of JB on CFUN here, doing his Candlelight and Swine gig:
http://www.radiowest.ca/airchecks07.html

Listen carefully and you'll even hear the last few words of an ad JB voiced which he then extros live with "Sell, Johann, Sell!".

Speaking of which, anybody else remember when he used to call himself "Johann Bruno Shayne" on LG-FM?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun May 02, 2010 11:56 am

Sorry to Boss Radio for hijacking his thread and moving it ... but we suddenly have a 42 year old aircheck of Johann Bruno thanks
to Larry "Firedog" and his collection of Vancouver goodies ...

Here's 4 1/2inutes of JB from April 11, 1968 on CKLG AM ...

Johann Bruno Shayne CKLG 1968

As always, thanks to Firedog for sharing!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Sun May 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Fantastic! I have searched hi and lo for a Shayne aircheck from his 'LG days. A basic "this is,that was" set,but interesting to hear for his burgeoning 'tude,the flip of the Harrison single (on AM!),and his overnight news plug. Cool.

Huge props to Firedog! :bow:
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby cart_machine » Sun May 02, 2010 3:13 pm

hagopian wrote:I would be be happier to hear that he is alive and well.

Hag, J.B.'s having vision problems, but he's doing okay otherwise. I haven't seen him for a couple of years.

He's one of local radio's greats.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Sun May 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Gotta add one more Shayne alias: Uncle Ned Out In the Shed Milking The Cow About Now
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sun May 02, 2010 8:55 pm

I dug another out of the RadioWest.ca archives ... JB with DARYL B on a CFUN Solid Gold Weekend from October of 1979.

JB and CHUCK STEAK help Daryl with PM Drive on a Friday afternoon ...

JB with DARYL B

This was a CFUN Solid Gold Weekend where many former CFUN jocks came back to 1900 West 4th to share the mic
with the current batch of "Good Guys"!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sun May 02, 2010 9:38 pm

radiofan wrote:I dug another out of the RadioWest.ca archives ... JB with DARYL B on a CFUN Solid Gold Weekend from October of 1979.

JB and CHUCK STEAK help Daryl with PM Drive on a Friday afternoon ...

JB with DARYL B

This was a CFUN Solid Gold Weekend where many former CFUN jocks came back to 1900 West 4th to share the mic
with the current batch of "Good Guys"!

RF you have outdone yourself now! What a fantastic trip down memory lane! We oldtimers get criticized for moaning about the "good old days" but hearing JB and Daryl B. in their prime really puts a fine point on what we are moaning about. That was great stuff. That's what we're talking about! Sure, the Drake days, and shotgun jingle days may be a thing of the past, but an aircheck like that one should be manditory listening to any kid in any broadcast school. Grade A! Thanks RF.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 02, 2010 9:53 pm

JB is doing fine - he was with the gang at Pappy Al's wake. Need I drag up the photo?

We do need to get JT to bring JB to the next Spot lunch
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 am

As the thread grows, I've dug up yet another aircheck of JB .. this one from Christmas Night 1988 when Johann Bruno
was playing Classic Rock at AM 600 CHRX ...

JB at CHRX 1988
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Slip Q » Mon May 03, 2010 9:11 am

Jack Bennest wrote:Image

I recognize Tanner, Mulligan and Shayne. Who's the old lady at the right? Is that Jordan's widow?
Slip Q
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Mon May 03, 2010 9:19 am

Please....that's Pamela Burge, who, in his BossJock days was known as Timothy M. Burge.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 am

radiofan wrote:As the thread grows, I've dug up yet another aircheck of JB .. this one from Christmas Night 1988 when Johann Bruno
was playing Classic Rock at AM 600 CHRX ...

J.B. made a reference to Jim Cobis (I think his name is with a 'C'). Cobis was the all-night op at KARI in Blaine. He may be still doing a stream-of-consciousness show on the internet somewhere as "Mr. Wonderful."

That's Gary Alexander doing the keycard promo, and there was a snippet of Sharryn Graham on a spot before that. Bomo's on the spot at the end.

21 1/2 years ago? I'm getting old.

cArtie
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Next

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)