Beatles at Empire Stadium on CKNW

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Beatles at Empire Stadium on CKNW

Postby radiofan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:46 am

On Saturday August 22nd 1964, opening day of the PNE, The Beatles played their one and only Vancouver concert at Empire Stadium.

If you were at Empire Stadium, this is what you would have heard .. Beatles Concert start

Had you been at home or out in your car, chances are pretty good you might have been listening to Jack Cullen on CKNW. On Saturday nights, Jack took his Owl Prowl on the road from 8 til 10PM
and called the show "On The Town" .. he'd stop by night clubs, drive ins . .whatever .. if there was people to talk to, Jack was there. On August 22nd 1964, Jack's show originated from CKNW's
broadcast booth at Empire Stadium and NW listeners got to hear bits and pieces of the concert along with colour commentaries from the likes of Jack Webster, Jack Wasserman, Rene Castellani,
Barrie McMaster and others .. This is from an aircheck of that show that Jack eventually sold to someone who pressed a bootleg album in the early 1970's.

The Beatles at Empire Stadium CKNW Aircheck Aug 22, 1964

This was real live radio .. Jack Cullen style from 46 years ago. Who woulda thought CKNW would air the Beatles concert?

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Beatles at Empire Stadium on CKNW

Postby BBINGHAM032352 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 am

I have this entire event on a 2 LP vinyl phonograph record album set that I bought in the early 1980s by mail order.The name of the album is The Beatles In Vancouver.The album is a fascinating look at a more innocent period in Canadian broadcast history. I think that the next day they played at the Hollywood Bowl.I have two vinyl copies of The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl also.That album was released about 1976. :canflag2:
BBINGHAM032352

Postby BBINGHAM032352 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:55 am

I listened to all the material you have here.What you have represents only one side of the 2 LP album The Beatles In Vancouver.Unfortunately you did not include the pre-concert broadcast which included a live radio commentary with news of The Beatles' arrival, a fan interview and a live broadcast press conference. Apparently their plane had had trouble getting into Canada for some reason.The fan told Jack Webster that The Beatles had eaten 3 cent hamburgers for dinner before the concert. :canflag3:
BBINGHAM032352

Postby jawbone » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 am

BBINGHAM032352 wrote:I listened to all the material you have here.What you have represents only one side of the 2 LP album The Beatles In Vancouver.Unfortunately you did not include the pre-concert broadcast which included a live radio commentary with news of The Beatles' arrival, a fan interview and a live broadcast press conference. :canflag3:

Perhaps that is why it was presented here as an aircheck, not a copyright LP.
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby BBINGHAM032352 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 pm

The album that I have is a bootleg album with no label. :victory:
BBINGHAM032352

Postby radiofan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Jack Cullen supplied his original aircheck tapes of the concert to the company that put out the bootleg album. When the album was pressed, Jack actually stocked it in his record
stores. Within a few days, there was a cease and desist order from Capitol Records. Along with the order, Capitol pulled all their stock from Cullen's three stores.

As for the press conference portion of the aircheck, I didn't include it as it didn't run on the air live. Also, it was pressed onto a freebie plastic record from Kelly's in late 1964, so
it was a pretty common item.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 pm

From the firedog archives ...

We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby BBINGHAM032352 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Wow! Thanks for the picture of the record issued by Kelly's in 1964.I thought for sure that the press conference had been broadcast also. :towel:
BBINGHAM032352

Postby rinso » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Could someone possibly send me a link to the entire bootleg LP if they have it to share? I have never heard of this even existing,and would love to add it to my music collection! Thank you in advance! :headbang:
rinso

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 pm

rinso wrote:Could someone possibly send me a link to the entire bootleg LP if they have it to share? I have never heard of this even existing,and would love to add it to my music collection! Thank you in advance! :headbang:

Share... as in not willing to pay for it?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 am

Today's the 49th anniversary of The Beatles Vancouver appearance at Empire Stadium. In case you missed this thread in 2011, it's back!
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby StevenSmith » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:21 pm

This is a great nostalgic piece with photos and audio. Wonderful memories and accolades to the author. Way back, my wife was one of these screaming girls (with her mom along to keep tabs on her). We live near the border in the US and my wife won two free tickets, to this PNE show, on the Bellingham AM rock station 1170 KPUG. She was lucky in that regard, she also won tickets to see the Beatles at one of their early Seattle concerts. She won those tickets, once again, from KPUG and her mom was chaperone. Sometimes history repeats itself.
StevenSmith

Postby radiofan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Great memories Steven. And, welcome to Radio West!

KPUG was a station I listened to a lot in the mid - late 1960's (along with KJR and KOL).

KPUG was a great training ground for several future KJR jocks (including Norm Gregory).

Many records in my collection were bought at Pay "n' Save Drugs, Yeagers and other places in B'ham.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby StevenSmith » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Radiofan, right now I live a block away from Yeager's......it's still there but no music anymore. I spent nearly 30 years in Bellingham radio playing mainly country music and in management. I worked at KPUG for a short time in 1974, when Band on the Run, by McCartney, topped the charts.
StevenSmith

Postby StevenSmith » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 pm

I forgot to say that $5.25 is a pretty amazing ticket price for the chance to see the Beatles. It really lets us see how the cost of living has changed over the years.
StevenSmith

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)