Rick Honey CKLG 1970

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Rick Honey CKLG 1970

Postby radiofan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:20 pm

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since Rick Honey passed away ... (Read more in today's Today in History viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9206 )

Here's some bits and pieces of Rick on the air at Vancouver's CKLG from March and August of 1970 (Rick came to CKLG in 1969).

Rick Honey @ CKLG March 1970 Mid Days

Rick Honey @ CKLG August 1970 Evenings

** The first few cuts on the August 1970 aircheck (up til the intro to Bob Dylan's "Wigwam" are actually Daryl B ..

Thanks to Larry "firedog" Morton for sharing these!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Rick Honey CKLG 1970

Postby Russ_Byth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree guys. Incredible that it has been 10 years.
Thanks a million for the links!
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby BossRadio » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:25 am

Rick in the middle of a split shift. And CKLG Contemporary Sports ? Now THAT was a new one to me.

"Can't understand why we give the VIctoria temperarture after 10:30..nobody's up to listen to us anyhow!"
Brilliant!
Thanks Firedog!
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum
BossRadio
Advanced Member

Location: the outskirts of the edge of the fringe of the centre of the universe

Postby hagopian » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:28 am

Rick Honey was the best Emcee I ever worked with. He was a consumate pro.

I really feel that he went out the way he wanted - on his shield.
Too many of us have been dumped, shuffled off, or in my case, walked away from a business that seems to forget that it is the people that make the business go.

I was blessed to work with a lot of the fine people here, Neumann, RadioFan (never Cleaver, damn it) but a lot of them....and to a man and woman they were all dedicated and for the most part, although we got paid peanuts, we had fun.

One station had to tell us to all go home, because we hung around the station playing radio.

The greatest Radio person I ever worked with would be impossible to pick -JJ Johnston, Latremouille, Burlingham, Rode, Jim Brady, Clint Nickerson, Gord Robson, Jill Bennett, AnotheWpgGuy, (*the best board op in the world).

If you never worked with JJ, * you missed something.

I wish I could tell you some stories but well, let's put it this way - I was blessed to have been in Radio when Radio wasn't a computer and a consultant from Bainbridge Island, you know the one - the one with the IQ of a squirrel, and that's insulting the squirrel. Doing a GREAT job at JR Country and "The Valley" - (er) the PEAK.

The good people like Coburn deserve a programming team with some brains, instead of lurch and dumbell. Pattison should have fired ENO and Siemans so they could get work more suited to them, like ditch diggers.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)