The future of talk radio??

Radio news from Alberta

The future of talk radio??

Postby 45 RPM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:31 am

I checked out Kingkade and Kelly on QR-77 this morning. It was their first show and it's the future of talk radio, according to the promos.

Really?

How much of Rutherford's old audience is still there, and of any remaining, how long will they stay?

It's a whole new ballgame.

Kind of like downsizing from an Escalade to a Hyundi Pony.

And by the Kingkade, nobody really cares that you got laid last night. That's either way TMI or wishful thinking on your part.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Re: The future of talk radio??

Postby CKNF » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Meanwhile, some overly motivated hipster in an office somewhere at Corus is saying, "we must all embrace change to move forward and take our successes to the next level! Yay for me!" :occasion7:
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby motor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Dave Rutherford had a lot of rural listeners. As a result, a lot of advertisers in the agriculture industries. (think .... Round Up or Viterra). I cannot see these companies sticking with Corus if the hosts continue to have compelling conversations such as: Should you wear socks with your sandals? The CHED program was also brutal. There is nothing worse then radio hosts, laughing at their own "non-humerous jokes". Based on the first day, Sales Reps. are going to have a tough time selling ads during these time slots.
motor

Postby isthisthingon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

motor wrote:Dave Rutherford had a lot of rural listeners. As a result, a lot of advertisers in the agriculture industries. (think .... Round Up or Viterra). I cannot see these companies sticking with Corus if the hosts continue to have compelling conversations such as: Should you wear socks with your sandals? The CHED program was also brutal. There is nothing worse then radio hosts, laughing at their own "non-humerous jokes". Based on the first day, Sales Reps. are going to have a tough time selling ads during these time slots.

New, younger hosts without obvious agendas will probably attract new, younger listeners and the national advertisers that want to talk to them. My guess is QR will (in time) make a noticeable dent in the Lite95.9 audience.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:59 pm

If all it took to reach a younger, hipper demographic was to drag some younger, hipper presenters to the microphone, stations would have jumped all over that opportunity a long time ago, and I would then agree with isthisthingon.

My contention has always been it will take a great deal more than that to attract and hold any new demographic/psychographic.

But then, what listeners are hearing on 'QR is the sum total of everything The Big Corporate Brains can muster. It ain't impressive and it will be unsuccessful.

Come to think of it. the CORUS machinations are really quite cynical, patronising, superficial and insulting while they demonstrate a massive misunderstanding of the dynamics of their own medium.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 pm

isthisthingon wrote:
motor wrote:Dave Rutherford had a lot of rural listeners. As a result, a lot of advertisers in the agriculture industries. (think .... Round Up or Viterra). I cannot see these companies sticking with Corus if the hosts continue to have compelling conversations such as: Should you wear socks with your sandals? The CHED program was also brutal. There is nothing worse then radio hosts, laughing at their own "non-humerous jokes". Based on the first day, Sales Reps. are going to have a tough time selling ads during these time slots.

New, younger hosts without obvious agendas will probably attract new, younger listeners and the national advertisers that want to talk to them. My guess is QR will (in time) make a noticeable dent in the Lite95.9 audience.

If these hipsters were to put a dent of any kind into Lite 95.9, they should have been placed on Q 107 or some other FM stick. How many sets of ears in the money demo even know what AM radio is?

Some rehersals should have been done including a few late night or weekend on air warm ups interacfting with callers. They should have hit the deck running and been polished at 9:05 this morning.
That didn't happen.

Dave Taylor will be holding down the 9 - Noon slot by Christmas.

I'll check out CHED's new additions tomorrow.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby motor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Just a quick note....I have been travelling around the province for the last few weeks and I have been listening to the new talk shows on CHED and CHQR. Over all, I am not impressed with the products. Kingkade and Kelly is brutal! Is it just me ....or does Mr. Kingkade tend to mumble a lot? ...and does Kelly ever speak? Both of these hosts seem to be struggling. Listen this morning (Sept. 9, 11 am) to Ezra Levant hang out Kingkade to dry. If you haven't done your research Mr. Kingkade, Mr. Levant will steam roll over you.
Tencer and Grose is just as bad. Has Mr. Grose done any preparation? (reading the Edmonton Sun is not preparation) Can Mr. Grose stay on topic? Where are the callers?...and what's with all the bad jokes? The jokes don't add any value to the show.
Both shows should listen to Dave Taylor's show. I enjoy his show. (and I am not a liberal) A knowledgeable, experienced host, who has done his research. Perhaps, Corus can broadcast his show province wide?
motor

Postby The Palliser Square » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Come early December and the release of the fall PPM, both CHED and QR will see the disaster that has been created in the once ratings and revenue rich 9 - Noon timeslot.

2014 will start with Dave Taylor on both CHED and QR in the 9 - Noon slot.
The Palliser Square

Postby pave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Ownership has assimilated the troika. They are arrogant, ignorant and cynical.

All of these are symptoms of an even great limitation. The clinical description is: Stupid.

And, so far as I know, there is no cure for "stupid". (The meds that are prescribed for "stupid" have such horrible side effects that solicitors are gathering around ER's with "No Win - No Pay" offers.)

A simulcast of anything between these two cities will be resented by the residents of both, particularly those in Edmonton, 'cause, as knowledgeable sources will confirm, "Chukians" are definitely the twitchier of the two. Just as well, as Calgarians are packin' heat with hair triggers. :orclown:

It is apparent that ownership has no clue as to whom they are dealing with. There will be consequences.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta