Suicide Finally Comes Out of the Media Closet

Radio news from Alberta

Suicide Finally Comes Out of the Media Closet

Postby jon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm

We had a lively discussion here on RadioWest a few years back on the long time media ban on reporting suicides on places like the High Level Bridge. At the time, I stated my feeling that "not talking about it" removed any pressure to try and address the problem.

Edmonton council weighs options to reduce suicides at High Level Bridge
By Cailynn Klingbeil, Edmonton Journal
August 20, 2013 1:02 PM

EDMONTON - City councillors voted Tuesday to further study available options for securing the High Level Bridge in an effort to reduce suicides there.

Prevention strategies, including the erection of a physical barrier, signs with preventive messaging, or installing a telephone with a direct line to The Support Network’s distress line, were discussed at Tuesday’s community services meeting, following a report in response to an inquiry by Mayor Stephen Mandel.

According to the report, the chief medical examiner said there were 14 deaths in the area around the bridge as a result of suicide in the past year.

Suicide was the leading cause of injury death in 2010 with 513 deaths across Alberta, and 5,053 suicide/self-inflicted injury-related visits to hospital emergency rooms, according to the Alberta Centre for Injury Control and Research.

“The most important thing that they’re doing is talking about it,” said Nancy McCalder, executive director of The Support Network, following Tuesday’s meeting. “We don’t talk about suicide and suicide prevention enough anywhere.”

McCalder asked council to consider the idea of a call box or telephone with a direct line to the Distress Line, not 911.

“Many are afraid to call 911 because they still believe they will be arrested and locked away in a padded cell ... Hotlines were developed to give people an alternative to calling 911, so those resources can be used elsewhere,” McCalder told councillors.

Operators at the Distress Line may spend up to 90 minutes supporting a caller, she said.

“This is a difficult conversation for many Edmontonians, but it is an important one, especially if we can focus on prevention,” Coun. Don Iveson told council.

Councillors questioned the costs and efficacy of various options and strategies for suicide prevention on the bridge, and asked administration to report back prior to the budget in November.

“I think it’s a step in the right direction,” McCalder said of Tuesday’s decision. “It will be a process for the city and province to recognize that we all have a joint responsibility on suicide prevention, so I’m really pleased that we’re having the conversation.”

The bridge’s morbid reputation for jumpers was the subject of a 2010 film by local director Trevor Anderson called The High Level Bridge.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Suicide Finally Comes Out of the Media Closet

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Good discussion topic Jon

If a man shoots his wife and turns the gun on himself. We seem to report that

If a man jumps off a bridge - we think this is different - no wife and no gun involved.

Suicide is most likely mental illness, imbalance (not being able to cope) but still death.

I think we must report the news of a major traffic disruption caused by a person in that condition and do it tastefully.

Same as other homicides and self inflicted fatal wounds.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:12 pm

The rule always used to be: No Suicides... unless the particular incident in question has a major impact on the public at large..

There also used to be a rule in all radio and TV newsrooms that had said... quite emphatically, I might add... No dog stories...

... and just look how much attention anyone pays to that rule these days...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Toronto had a similar problem with the Bloor Viaduct.
Fences and nets pretty much have eliminated the problem.
As for reporting suicides, if it was done publicly before a large crowd, you pretty much were free to report it, also if the suicide involved a public figure.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Mike's right.
How many news organizations covered the suicide of the RCMP officer Pierre Lemaitre.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Lemaitre was covered - but what is really upsetting is the number of Canadian Veterans that have suffered multiple deployments, and tragically decide to end the pain themselves, and it is ignored, by our cretinous News outlets. A single deployment is just awful, but some of these men and women have been ground to dust. While very proud of every one of you, I also worry that you are NOT getting the help you need.

The numbers of folks that kill themselves might surprise you.

The impact of the act is immense.

I lost my Father at end of a bottle of Jack Daniels and a bottle of prescription medication, and the pain is still palpable.

May I mention here - if YOU are even thinking of the 'ultimate solution' - stop and reach out - there are HELP lines - 24-7. If desperate enough - even 911 will help.

Talk honestly to your Doctor and there is NO shame in depression and a feeling of helplessness. Today's society creates enormous pressures. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Thanks.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta