It was going to happen sooner or later

Postby SteveLegault » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:47 am

Sad, sad sad...let's hope they finally do something about this

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/inte ... rks-outcry
SteveLegault
Advanced Member

Re: It was going to happen sooner or later

Postby czarcasm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 am

What a sad story about a future broadcaster just doin' what he had to do to get ahead.

Why would a station that has employed someone for some work also allow them to do their practicum work at the same station? The line is too thin as to what they'd pay for and what they'd expect to be
done for free. Didn't it used to be that practicums usually took place at out of town smaller market stations with the idea being the students could get their feet wet in many different areas of the station
and see where their real strengths and weaknesses were?

Practicum students at bi market stations get to spend time in different areas of the station, but they seem to be expected to do the majority of the grunt work for the promotion department. OK, someone
has to do the hanging of bannerwrap on fences and sides of buildings, someone has to uncrate and inflate the inflatable station mascot etc etc etc. But, should they have to do it for free? Most radio
station promotions are money driven, If they didn't make money for the station or get the station free publicity, they wouldn't happen. Why then should the execution of the promotion depend on free
labour?

When you're training for a job at Target, Fas Gas, Wendy's or anywhere else, you're not doing it for free.

Maybe it's time rdio woke up to the real world.
czarcasm
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:24 am

Driving tired is the same as driving while drunk. Nowadays, an establishment serving the drinks is culpable for accidents it's patrons cause after the fact, even though they made the decision to drink and drive. In this case, the intern didn't choose to work overtime although choosing to drive afterwards.

At the moneygrubbing headquarters of corporate radio, his life and career were worth less than the price of a taxi.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 pm

There are few words to describe my aversion to the thugs that knowingly exploit young people (and others) for the sake of a couple of Big Macs.
Andy and other "bitches" deserve more than acknowledgment - they deserve to be avenged.
Although not solely a radio problem, these kinds of episodes do point out how capitalism and free enterprise have been completely manipulated and corrupted.
Corporate, in my view, must be held accountable, particularly since the evidence demonstrates threats were made. Hiding behind levels of management and corporate structure is only cowardly.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:37 pm

This INTERN scam has made me angry for a long time.
I hope ASTRAL (now Bell) is happy - one human being dies and you don't have the decency to even talk about this tragedy.
This intern scam - takes paying jobs from people and fattens the shareholders wallets.
Well -- I hope you are happy, as this poor man's Family has to deal with this for the rest of their life.
There HAS to be some consequences for ASTRAl (now Bell) and where is the CRTC?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:01 pm

This is the letter I sent to the Vancouver Sun and the Edmonton Journal:

If there are any lawyers out here, I would love to talk with you.

I have already made my feelings known at the BEAR, and to the BELL head offices.

If we band together - we can change this. 100,000 people are "interning". Interning is great, if it's closed. Three weeks.....and if you have the goods, now you are hired. None of this open end, work your guts out for nothing...for months and months. These kids have huge student loans, and they have to eat, for gosh sake. (*I would love to get my hands on the moron who kept calling this young guy 'his bitch'). Man.

Editor:

In recent days, a Radio Station in Edmonton, THE BEAR, owned by ASTRAL (Bell) Media, had an intern (unpaid for most of his work) - they literally worked him, unpaid, so hard, he fell asleep on the Highway and crossed the yellow line and died.

Reaction from ASTRAL? NOTHING.

The girlfriend of 22 year old Andy Ferguson, said Andy's Supervisor at "The Bear" in Edmonton, called this poor kid, his "bitch".

SHAME ON ASTRAL AND BELL for their callous and disgusting manner in dealing with this.

Unpaid work is called SLAVERY, not work experience.

This is a story that has my media friends and I so angry we are about to take BELL to task.

They will rue the day that they didn't have the money to call a poor exhausted kid a cab. Instead, they let him die.

Just the kind of people we want owning three radio stations in our City, what?

I worked for over 40 years in Radio - across this great Country and I got paid.

We should all stand together and demand pay for work.

This is 2013, not the Middle Ages.....although, THE BEAR in Edmonton features strippers on their Web page, so I am not sure what year they think this is.

DISGUSTING.

My condolences to Andy's Family, his girlfriend and co-workers at this pathetic excuse for a Broadcast outlet.

Let's not let this poor young man die, for NOTHING.

BELL....I will never listen to or support any of your offerings.

RIP, Andy. You will never be forgotten.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Just so you know - this story has been around since 2011 - but is just now starting to raise hackles.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:22 pm

This incident had, in fact, happened after the Hallowe'en overnight shift... during the early morning hours of November 1st, 2011.

It is now September of 2013. Why has this taken almost two whole years to provoke a reaction?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Dave L » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Volunteering at a radio station isn't new. I happily did so when I was 13-15 and learned a lot. Internships are something yet again.

According to the labour code, volunteers and interns are supposed to treated like employees at some levels, especially Worker's Compensation and payments are supposed to be made on their behalf. Some offer CPP, medical coverage or a stipend.

Volunteers can be more intensive than salaried staff, because of the need to be handled with kid gloves as to not belittle them in their role.

I was Captain and Training Officer at the local volunteer fire department for many years and following incidents would endeavor to see that everyone was in good health and safely returned home to rest. Eight dollars wasn't much of a wage per call, but the camaraderie, service to community and compassion for others was rewarding enough.

Being called a "bitch", overworked under duress and left to your own resources afterwards does nothing for morale.
VE7LGD
Dave L
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Even back in '61, I was paid 50 cents an hour for filling the radio station pop machine, filing records, moving boxes, humping and setting up and operating the remote equipment, etc., etc.
Interns at CHUM were paid $15 an hour back in the '80s and received benefits as well.
Broadcasting schools also are culpable in this scam of "free work."
They send students out for internships, often for months on end.
The "employer" or rather the "user" keeps promising these people that if they do a good job, they'll get hired.
I've always said the absolute limit for an upaid internship is 3 months.
If they don't hire you after that, walk.
As for protecting workers, also at CHUM starting in the '80s when things started to get dicey in Toronto at night, CHUM sent people home in cabs after 11pm at night and for those coming in to work before 6am if you didn't have your own car.
Not just women, but men too.
It happened after one of our interns was mugged on the way to work at 5am.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:39 pm

I, for one, don't have an MSN account, so was unable to read the article being referred to in the first post.

But the CBC is also covering the story:

Intern's death after overnight shift sparks outcry
Young man's family believes he fell asleep at the wheel
By Kathy Tomlinson, CBC News
Posted: Sep 9, 2013 2:01 AM PT
Last Updated: Sep 9, 2013 5:41 AM PT

The sudden death of a 22-year-old Alberta practicum student, who crashed while driving home after being made to work long hours, has his loved ones pushing for laws to protect unpaid interns from exploitation.

"He was taken advantage of," said his brother Matt Ferguson, from St. Albert, Alta. "If this hadn’t happened the way it happened, it might be easier to deal with."
Andy Ferguson's girlfriend Caelie Crowley said she's still having a hard time coming to terms with how Andy died.Andy Ferguson's girlfriend Caelie Crowley said she's still having a hard time coming to terms with how Andy died. (CBC)

Andy Ferguson’s car crossed the centre line and hit a gravel truck head-on at 6 a.m. in November 2011. He was halfway through his hour-long commute after working a morning shift and then all night.

"Andy wouldn’t want this to happen to somebody else."

Records show the highway was clear and the weather was good. The young student had no alcohol or drugs in his system and was not on his phone when he crashed.

His family is convinced he didn’t make it home because he’d put in 16 hours in a 24-hour period — with very little rest in between shifts — and was too exhausted to drive safely.

"We believe he fell asleep while he was driving," said Ferguson.

Double duty

Andy's brother Matt Ferguson is on a mission to get better protections for student interns like Andy.Andy's brother Matt Ferguson is on a mission to get better protections for student interns like Andy. (CBC)

Andy was a student in the radio and TV program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in Edmonton.

He had to complete a four-month unpaid practicum for Astral Media’s local pop rock radio stations, ‘The Bear’ and ‘Virgin Radio’, in order to graduate. He was also putting in shifts as a paid intern, over and above his student hours.

"He just wanted to suck it up and he just wanted to finish his program and get it done with and he didn’t get the chance to do that," said his brother.

His brother said Andy was a much-loved, aspiring comedian.

"One of his goals in life was just to make people laugh and make people happy," said Ferguson. "I can only dream of what he would have ended up doing with his life. I know it would have been great things."

Text messages and times in Andy’s phone suggest he worked erratic hours, with little notice or direction.

At the start of one early shift, Andy texted his girlfriend to say, “Good morning! Wouldn’t ya know it no one is here to tell me what to do. Good thinking on making me come in early!”

"He was there to learn and I don’t feel he got the opportunity to do that," said Ferguson.

Andy’s girlfriend, Caelie Crowley, said one of his supervisors regularly called him his "bitch."

"If he was being introduced to somebody else in the department they would be like ‘Oh yeah, this is Andy. But you can just call him my bitch,'" said Crowley.

Tried to say 'no'

Text messages the day before he died show Andy told Astral he didn’t want to work the overnight shift, supervising a Halloween contest, where a contestant would be locked in a coffin.

"F—k this place,” Andy texted to a friend on the afternoon of Oct. 31, 2011. "He [a supervisor] asked me to do the overnight thing for the tough contest and I did the most blunt 'no' I could do."

"He had already worked three nights prior to that doing, like, overnight shifts," said Crowley. “And he just didn’t feel comfortable sitting in a hearse in a cemetery watching a girl in a coffin."

She said Andy told her a manager said if he didn't work that night, Astral wouldn’t give him the credit he needed to graduate.

"They said if you want to keep your practicum here…you basically shut your mouth and do what you are told," said Crowley.

In an email Andy wrote to a NAIT instructor, but never had a chance to send, he wrote, "it would be nice if the people I worked under showed a little more appreciation and respect for myself."

Text messages between Andy and his girlfriend on his last night show his frustration, and her concern for his well-being.

"How are you holding up?" she asks at one point. "Is everything going OK?” He replied, “Not really. Ha ha."

Later, he wrote, "Good night. I will be thinking of you…I love you forever and sweet dreams." That was his last message to her.

"He wasn’t the kind of person at all to say no," Crowley said, through tears. "It took a lot of me bugging him to say something [to his supervisors]."

Complaints led nowhere

After Andy’s death, Ferguson wrote to Astral’s CEO, but said he didn’t hear back. He also filed a complaint with federal labour authorities, claiming his brother was forced to work excessive hours without adequate rest.

Federal law governing broadcasters says employees can’t be made to work more than 48 hours a week.

There were discrepancies between Andy’s records and how long Astral said he worked. The case was further complicated because he was not paid for the hours he put in as a student, but did get paid for other shifts.

His student hours didn’t count, because the law doesn’t cover unpaid training. Federal investigators concluded the company was not in violation.

"Everyone at 100.3 The Bear, Virgin Radio 104.9, and Team 1260 was devastated by Andy’s death, and their condolences were extended to the family," said a statement to Go Public from Bell, which has since purchased Astra Media.

"Astral Media co-operated fully with the investigation by the Ministry of Labour, which found that the radio stations were compliant with the Canada Labour Code, and in Andy’s case, that the maximum hours of work were not exceeded."

Bell refused to answer questions about how Andy was treated by Astral, saying "no comment". It did say, however, that it applies best practices when dealing with its own interns.

NAIT also refused to answer questions about this, citing “privacy requirements.”

MP takes up cause

"There is no doubt that he had worked considerable and I would suggest excessive hours in the days leading up to his unfortunate car accident," said Ferguson’s member of Parliament, Brent Rathbeger, who said he will use this case to push for change.

Labour rules in Alberta and other provinces also don’t cover unpaid work by students or interns in provincially regulated workplaces.

"The bargaining is not in the youth employees' favour. That needs to be addressed generally — both through provincial and federal regulations — to protect all employees but specifically youth," said Rathbeger.

The Canadian Intern Association said it hears many stories from young people who feel overworked.

"I hear about this frequently," said president Claire Seaborn. "High youth unemployment rates are making it very difficult, which may result in young interns working long hours and not feeling they can speak up about it."

This comes on the heels of a recent death in the U.K., where a young intern working for Merrill Lynch died after pulling three all-nighters in a row. Moritz Erhardt, from Germany, was found dead in his shower Aug. 15.

In that case, Bank of America Merrill Lynch said it is now reviewing “all aspects of working practices” for its young employees and interns.

Statement from Bell Media:

Everyone at 100.3 The Bear, Virgin Radio 104.9, and Team 1260 was devastated by Andy’s death, and their condolences were extended to the family.

Astral Media cooperated fully with the investigation by the Ministry of Labour, which found that the radio stations were compliant with the Canada Labour Code, and in Andy’s case, that the maximum hours of work were not exceeded.

While we consider the matter closed, we appreciate Matthew Ferguson’s campaign for protection for practicum students and interns. Bell Media adheres to best practices for our internship and student practicum placements, and we endeavour to provide a safe, positive, and rewarding experience for those beginning their careers in radio and television.

Statement from Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT):

Andy’s death was a tragic loss for NAIT and for the Radio and Television program. Andy was a creative, passionate and dedicated student who is greatly missed.

Privacy requirements prevent NAIT from commenting further on a particular student.

The safety and security of our students is a priority for NAIT. NAIT regularly reviews policies, practices and curriculum. All NAIT’s agreements related to work integrated learning address compliance with Occupational Health and Safety and other employment legislation.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Lots that could and should be said, especially about the tragic end to all this.

What makes this particular case more complex than most is that the individual involved actually had two jobs with the same employer. At least one of which was full-time. Only because one of these jobs was unpaid did it not violate the old labour code rule: "you can moonlight, but not for the same employer".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:09 pm

My explicit thanks for the thoughtful and insightful comments. We are a Family in this business....and we have seen a young man die. It is time to end this and with the help of YOU and your friends in the business, we will. Spread the word.
The days of open ended manipulation of Interns are coming to an end. BUT - that is not to say ALL Internships are a mess like this. Close ended Internships are fine and welcomed. What we take offence to is the over use of Interns that get close to the golden ring of a real paying job .....and..... and NO, sorry. Then a new intern is given the same treatment.

This is what we have to end. The abuse of hours of work are legendary in this business. We all have stories. I just also want to take a moment to thank PAVE for his thoughts. We are lucky to have his input.

We will be moving this right up the line to the CRTC and Ottawa. We will keep you informed. If we can save one young keener from a grisly end like this, and get some people better treatment, then my life has been worthwhile.

Help.

We have to stand up and say 'enough of this'.

Are you with us?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:38 pm

It's nice to see this story getting the coverage it is.

Tonight I've seen stories on CBC Newsworld as well as on the 11PM Edmonton and Calgary Global newscasts.

I'm sure other have covered it also.

Like many others, I hope Andy's story just doesn't go away and become forgotten.

Nice to see an Edmonton MP stepping up to the plate to work for change.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:56 pm

After some digging we actually have an "Interns Association" in Canada. I am rooting around their site.

There are some easy ways for Companies to play fast and loose - and after asking a gent who knows a LOT about Broadcast internships, points out that a LOT of Companies in different Industries have internships.

He told me basically - I was tilting at windmills - and so some poor folks like Mr. Ferguson, will continue to pay 'the price'.

I find it incredibly sad: In the Seventies, you could do weekends at a Vancouver station and were paid enough to at least eat. Now? I actually was offered a gig at $12.00 an hour (Prime time) at a Vancouver Station - because, "That's all we can afford". Right.

The Managers I had over the years were, for he most part, excellent, and I was lucky to have worked with them.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Alberta