Lesley Primeau Explains Her CHED Departure

Radio news from Alberta

Lesley Primeau Explains Her CHED Departure

Postby jon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:05 pm

It was a cold and dreary day....actually it wasn't; it was a beautiful July morning. Dismissals in radio as with most companies come with a standard adios amigo and it goes something like this: 'we have decided to take the station in a different direction and you don't fit in with our plans" or some variation. As much as I would love to have finished my broadcasting career with CHED it was not to be. CORUS has taken our four stations and decided to go one way and I was left waiting for the bus to go another way.

I could bitch and moan about the whole business, after all it's kind of weird that 20 years in, you find yourself headed in another direction, but folks, this is business and the great business minds of my company thought they could do better without me and maybe they will. In my many years of radio I have seen people come and go, some dumped, some resign, some just fade a way. It's still all business and CORUS has a business to run. Clearly I was no longer an asset to them. Wondering whether I did this or they did that, changes nothing, they wanted a clean slate and that meant I was gone.

I think they are in for a long haul. Radio is an interesting field of endeavour and talk radio even more so. The audience begins to depend on you, trust you, look for you in times of trouble and frankly they want to laugh with you when they are down. Radio stars, like me (and I may be the last for a while) become part of the family and it takes years to build that trust. CORUS and CHED will have a long road ahead but frankly, because I spent the BEST years of my career (thus far) with them, I can only wish them the very best. Truthfully I bleed the CHED colours; it took me years to get through those hallowed doors. I would have done anything to be a part of the CHED team and when I did get in, I did everything I could to prove my worth, just as every great broadcaster does!

Many of the team still there, started while I was there; how could I not wish them well or wish them all the sincere joy I found while being on the air? The absolute best in radio have at sometime walked through those doors. Some are still there. So to those who continue to be part of CHED I wish you great success.

As for me, in the immortal words of Auntie Mame when a door closes a window opens. New challenges await and frankly one can either choose to embrace or just get snarly...

ref. - A Different Direction, October 4, 2013, lesleyprimeau.com
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Lesley Primeau Explains Her CHED Departure

Postby jon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Her new web site also has a freshly-written mini-radio-bio:

Radio has been my life's passion for the past many years, most recently at 630 CHED. There couldn't have been a better gig in the entire world, but how did I get there?

As with most people I worked at a station here, a station there. CJCA, CKST, CKER, all preparing me for talk. And why talk? Well picture it: driving through Sault St Marie once upon a time and the clouds rolled in, necessitating a layover in a seedy motel, (like I could remember). Shower in the morning, some hot tea and a camp out in front of the $1.49 television set with the requisite rabbit ears. The only show that came in quasi clear was Donahue and I was hooked! What a great way to live! Given my penchant for easy learning. NOT. It took me another decade to get to the promise land.

Along the way I delivered in a covered truck, worked in a gas station, worked community newspapers, launched a lawsuit or two, played racquetball, ran Mayfair park, suntanned...wow! Coulda been a beach bum. One day my friend, Leopoldo Sorgiovanni, called to tell me CJCA was looking for a talk show host. I didn't know I couldn't do it so I applied and the rest is history.

So this is who I am. Childlike ruler of the seven worlds, the entire plant world and exalted leader of all animals large and small...or at least that's what I put on the station letterhead!
jon
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:13 pm

We should introduce her to Tom Jeffries.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 pm

How kind.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:34 am

former tv guy wrote:We should introduce her to Tom Jeffries.

It appears you have nothing better to do with your time than to insult and attack people for no apparent reason. Perhaps you should seek some professional help for your disorder.

You are now on a very short leash here. You are very close to hanging yourself.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 am

radiofan wrote:
former tv guy wrote:We should introduce her to Tom Jeffries.

It appears you have nothing better to do with your time than to insult and attack people for no apparent reason. Perhaps you should seek some professional help for your disorder.

You are now on a very short leash here. You are very close to hanging yourself.

:salute: There are a lot of bitter people who figure if they have nothing nice to say, they should say it here.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Lesley - I left broadcasting in the early 80's or it left me.

Many many years later I discovered that a kick in the butt is what I needed THEN

You might want to continue in the same profession - many do and I wish you the best.

My world took me somewhere else for 30 years of caring for people rather than vinyl and news that I started with.

I am back to a form of journalism again in my retirement.

My advice is to review your skills and attributes - find an industry with pension protection and good pay and head in that direction.

Some day you will roll over in bed with a big smile and say - wow I am happy with the way life turned out. :canflag1:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Nice post, Jack. I think it was perfect advice, for Lesley.

Wish you the best, sir.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta