95.7 Cruz FM comes to Edmonton

Radio news from Alberta

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

95.7 CRUZ FM arrived in Edmonton at 9:00 MST this morning ...

8:39AM Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters - Hawaiian Christmas Song (Mele Kalikimaka)

8:42AM Keshia Chante - Last Christmas

8:46AM Jesse Labelle - Last Christmas

8:49AM Victoria Duffield - Last Christmas

8:52AM Taylor Swift - Last Christmas

8:56AM Wham! - Last Christmas

9:03AM Queen - We Will Rock You

9:06AM Queen - We Are The Champions

9:09AM U2 - Mysterious Ways

9:13AM Van Halen - Panama

9:16AM Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days

9:20AM John Cougar - Hurts So Good

9:24AM Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue

9:27AM Rolling Stones - Beast Of Burden

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:46 am

9:00 a.m. this morning was the launch. So far, they have played:
Queen - We Will Rock You
Queen - We Are The Champions
U2 - Mysterious Ways
Van Halen - Panama
Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days
John Cougar - Hurts So Good
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue
Rolling Stones - Beast Of Burden
Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name
Police - Roxanne

Last song on Lite was: Wham! - Last Christmas

http://957cruzfm.ca/ is the new web site.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: 95.7 Cruz FM comes to Edmonton

Postby jon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:36 am

The Cruz No Repeat Day in the Press Release really puts into words what made JOE-FM so successful when it first launched in Edmonton, as Edmonton's first Jack format. (Purists would argue that JOE-AM actually was....)

The 40 year olds around me that listened loved JOE-FM for the first few months because of the huge variety of songs that weren't played to death on other stations, but said it suffered because there wasn't enough new (still from bygone days, but not played yet on JOE) material added to the playlist as time passed. Memory dims, but I think JOE management may also have figured out which songs were the most popular and rotated them more frequently after a while, too, which only made matters worse.

jon
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Edmonton listeners will enjoy the format.Perfect fit for that demo and the numbers will climb quickly.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:40 pm

CRUZ FM Launch aircheck

Aircheck of CRUZ FM Launch

Thanks to jon for sharing this!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:21 pm

The station also has a 30 second YouTube video, formatted like a TV commercial, on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/957cruzfm/app_212104595551052

They are also now confirming that Ryann Bradley and Shirley McQueen will still be on air: "Ryann Bradley and Shirley McQueen will be back in the new year with a few other surprises."

It is not clear if Ryann will co-host with Gary James on mornings, as they have done in the past as fill-in for the Lite husband-wife morning team, or whether Gary will go it alone for now, and Ryann kept his regular shift. My money is on Gary doing Mornings alone for now.

Their Facebook page currently has 735 Likes, with PD Tim Schutz spending most of his waking hours doing updates.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Haven't been driving around too much since Christmas, but did see 4 Cruz billboards today, including two on Yellowhead Trail, our main East-West route, even though I was on perhaps one quarter of its urban length.

The only Lite signage I saw on the building where they have their studios....

Given the billboards, I could see a fair number of listeners by the time of their Monday live announcer launch.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:10 pm

Still no live announcers yet. And questions about it as recently as 10 hours ago on Twitter received an official response, completed with the emoticon shown, from the station of: Stand by. Announcement soon. :-)

Some programming ideas are already taking shape, however. I was quite impressed with "Sunday Night Cruz Blues. Every Sunday from 5pm - Midnight." Any station that plays Muddy Waters' biggest hit -- the original 1954 version of "I'm Your Hoochie Cooche Man" -- as they did last night, immediately gets my attention.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:05 pm

It's official, the announcers return to the building Monday:
Starting Monday morning Jan 13th. Join us, won't you? (Facebook)

Web page Shows List still to come.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby schultz93 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:37 am

Cruz announced their lineup this morning... here was the reply that was sent to someone on their Facebook page:

Myself (Ryann Bradley) and somebody else eventually will host Cruz Mornings, Shirley McQueen on Middays, we welcome the man the legend Gary James to Afternoon Drive and Claire Spencer on weekends!
schultz93
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

They even do News. I'd estimate 3 minutes at 6:30 this morning. By Ryann. He is also doing Traffic.

Obviously, duties will be divided once they have a second morning host.

Gary James' show starts at 3pm today.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:31 pm

After being the music director of 1090 CHEC Lethbridge, COOL 880 Edmonton and 96.9 JACK FM in Calgary, Tim Schutz should have no problems programming CRUZ FM and building the station's playlist.

Gary James' time as afternoon drive host on XL Radio Calgary was far too short, so I'm glad to hear him in the afternoon after his many years as a morning drive host. Any chance Ardith and Eechie will make an appearance on his CRUZ FM show?
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Most music-based stations, especially those owned by large corporations, have considered their playlist -- more specifically, the full set of songs they choose to use from their music library -- as Proprietary. Not to be revealed lest the competition get wind of it.

Whether intended as such, Cruz-FM offers a feature on their web site that lets you determine if a given song, or even an artist, is played by the station. On the right, towards the top of their home page, you'll find an Instant Request feature (you may have to adjust the drop-down menu to see it). Type in all or part of the song title or artist name, and you can see if the station plays it. For example, it should come as no surprise that Christopher Cross is not played on the station.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby CT40 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:11 pm

jon wrote:Most music-based stations, especially those owned by large corporations, have considered their playlist -- more specifically, the full set of songs they choose to use from their music library -- as Proprietary. Not to be revealed lest the competition get wind of it.

Whether intended as such, Cruz-FM offers a feature on their web site that lets you determine if a given song, or even an artist, is played by the station. On the right, towards the top of their home page, you'll find an Instant Request feature (you may have to adjust the drop-down menu to see it). Type in all or part of the song title or artist name, and you can see if the station plays it. For example, it should come as no surprise that Christopher Cross is not played on the station.

Not when we've had monitored airplay in this country for the last 15+ years. Everybody knows what the competition is playing.
CT40

Postby Rocky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 pm

I'd vote for Christopher Cross' Ride Like The Wind
Rocky
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta