Doug Rutherford's retirement dreams go up in smoke

Radio news from Alberta

Doug Rutherford's retirement dreams go up in smoke

Postby freqfreak2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:34 am

From the Edmonton Journal ...

Luxury home, retirement dreams up in smoke
By Marty Klinkenberg, Edmonton Journal April 7, 2014 6:33 AM

Picture from Global Edmonton

EDMONTON - A week after putting his house up for sale, Doug Rutherford watched it go up in smoke on Sunday.

Recently retired as general manager at CHED, Rutherford planned to split time between condos in Kelowna and Edmonton with his wife, Michelle Boden.

“But selling this house is part of the plan,” Rutherford said Sunday. “Our plans may have to change.”

Returning from a walk with their cocker spaniel shortly before 5:20 p.m., Rutherford and Boden noticed smoke coming from the base of a pillar outside the front door of their three-bedroom bungalow in West Edmonton.

“We attempted to put some water down ourselves, but in a matter of a minute, fire inside the pillar shot right up to the roof,” Rutherford said as firefighters coiled up hoses and packed their gear after battling the blaze on Drysdale Run in upper-scale Donsdale for 90 minutes. “I guess my house won’t be listed anymore.”

Acting district fire chief Marc Zubick said crews were dispatched to the residence after a call came in reporting an outside fire. Calls then began pouring in from neighbours saying the structure was on fire, and flames were shooting through the roof when three pumper trucks arrived on the scene.

Zubick said the fire was contained to the attic and roof, but significant water damage was incurred to the interior of the house.

According to an online real estate listing, the asking price for the three-bedroom, 1,800-square-foot residence was $768,000. The home had 12-foot ceilings with hand-crafted beams, hardwood floors, a gourmet country kitchen and finished basement with a family room, media room, exercise room and gas fireplace.

“It’s just a tragedy,” Ron Berlando, who lived beside Rutherford, said as he watched firefighters hose down the roof. Berlando also has his house on the market, for $849,000. “We all carry insurance, but it is still devastating emotionally.

“They were waiting for the house to sell and then they planned to move. It is so unfortunate.”

Zubick said the cause of the fire was unknown on Sunday night. Investigators were interviewing Rutherford and Boden and looking for clues.

Firefighters helped Rutherford haul moving boxes that had been stacked in the garage out to the street.

“With all of the water I saw them putting down, I am afraid what I am going to find when I go inside,” Rutherford said.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Luxury+home+retirement+dreams+smoke/9707545/story.html
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Re: Doug Rutherford's retirement dreams go up in smoke

Postby 45 RPM » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:43 am

So that's what they call a bungalow these days?

How sad.

I think it's called Karma.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 pm

45 gets the award for most ignorant post in the entire history of Radiowest. Congratulations.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:37 pm

Gotta agree with you Tuned...
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Tuned you are absolutely right !!!!
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:10 pm

RE; Mr. Rutherford -

Taking any satisfaction from someones pain and suffering is beyond ignorant.

You sir, are a JERK.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Joe Leary » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Wow Tuned! Asshole much?
Joe Leary

Postby Joe Leary » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:46 pm

And by that Tuned, I of course was referring to the incredibly pathetic remarks of 45 RPM.
Joe Leary

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 pm

It did say upscale

Seems like high density housing based on the lack of land around and separating homes.

Doug - collect the insurance and make your move.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:21 am

Certainly the listing has been pulled but, of course, the net being the net, I could still search pull it up in less than 30 seconds.

http://listings.myrealpage.com/wps/reci ... s-37647223

Losing your home and having your present completely turned upside-down as well as all you're planning for whatever years you have left in your future has got to feel pretty awful.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta