Kingkade without Kelly @ QR77

Radio news from Alberta

Kingkade without Kelly @ QR77

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Urgent Vs. Important

Calgary, AB, Canada / News Talk 770 (CHQR)
John Vos
July 14, 2014 09:07 am

As someone who constantly strives for high-achievement, one of the things I’ve always battled is knowing the difference between what is Urgent and what is Important. I used to think they were one-in-the-same.

I now define them this way; the Urgent stuff is the usually made up of the loudest noises in my life. The deadlines. The distractions. The things that are begging for my attention. They come in the form of text messages, or breaking news, or really terrible government decisions like changing license plates and charging us for the decision to do so. (grrrr!) The Urgent stuff can often *feel* important because it’s demanding, it wants our time, and it wants it NOW.

I consider Important things to be the things I value. My children. My relationships. My passion for helping people. Sometimes, when I tend to the Urgent things first, I don’t have the energy or time for the Important things. I let the Urgent things get in the way. They time-steal. They attention-steal. They energy-steal. And then I am not my best self when it comes to the Important things.

It is with great sadness but even greater optimism I’m letting you know I have resigned as co-host from the Kingkade & Kelly Show. It has been such an honour getting to know you. I love the News Talk 770 brand, as it is the only format in the city where you, the listeners, are regular participants in the programming of the show. I get to join you on the other side of the radio now, as News Talk 770 is permanently established on my radio and in my heart. Let’s continue our conversations together at http://www.facebook.com/NewsTalk770Calgary as we share our love for this great city we live in.

Thank you for being an Important part of my life.

Kind regards,

Erin Skye Kelly
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Kingkade without Kelly @ QR77

Postby groundskeeper willy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 am

Not much of a surprise, really. You could listen to the show for hours and wonder why it was billed as the "Kingkade & Kelly Show", it was almost exclusively Roger talking. When Erin did contribute (or was allowed to contribute, I don't know), there wasn't much chemistry between the two, their exchanges always had an awkward, stilted delivery, with Roger usually being dismissive and sarcastic about her side of the discussion when she did speak.

In her resignation letter, I found the line of "I let the Urgent things get in the way. They time-steal. They attention-steal. They energy-steal." to be particularly interesting.

It's gotta be tough being stuck in a studio and having to talk for three hours, especially if the hosts aren't connecting on any sort of level, which I suspect was the case here.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 am

My take on it was - I'm tired of working with an idiot.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:47 am

You might recall the job posting for Rutherford's replacement 16 months ago. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12423

I guess they got what the wanted and unfortunately they lost the smart one.

Howaboutthat wrote:My take on it was - I'm tired of working with an idiot.

The smart thing to do would be to do a shift swap today and put Dave Taylor in the morning slot and relegate Roger to the old Adler afternoon slot.

Do they have the smarts to do this? Not likely. The track record indicates we'll probably end up with Pete & Dino (already on Shaw Cable) and some toilet talk each day.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby woodntop1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:57 am

Five minutes past 9:00 Am. listening to Kingkade, I remember why I don't listen to 770 anymore, at least, not in the mornings. I wonder how many hours a day does Kinkade look into the mirror and listen to himself talk. I agree with one of the other posts, about Kelly hardly getting a word in edgeways. At least, now with Breakenridge on now maybe we will be able to get someone else's point of view. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky and the show will change to "The Rob Breakenridge Show. Hint hint.
woodntop1

Postby Putter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:11 pm

So nice the clown prince was off today, while the Premier was there.
Planned or not his absence was appreciated.
Rob Breakenridge does an awesome job as a host what ever his time slot.
I see that QR has taken the contact us tab off the website, otherwise I would have sent this via email.
Putter

Postby Landrew » Thu May 07, 2015 9:57 am

For a change, it would be nice to hear an honest reason for why someone resigned. It's always the same; "spending more time with family" which is never the real reason as we all know.

I would have more respect for someone who says "private reasons" instead of concocting such a tired cliché.
Landrew

Postby Landrew » Thu May 07, 2015 10:02 am

groundskeeper willy wrote:Not much of a surprise, really. You could listen to the show for hours and wonder why it was billed as the "Kingkade & Kelly Show", it was almost exclusively Roger talking. When Erin did contribute (or was allowed to contribute, I don't know), there wasn't much chemistry between the two, their exchanges always had an awkward, stilted delivery, with Roger usually being dismissive and sarcastic about her side of the discussion when she did speak.

In her resignation letter, I found the line of "I let the Urgent things get in the way. They time-steal. They attention-steal. They energy-steal." to be particularly interesting.

It's gotta be tough being stuck in a studio and having to talk for three hours, especially if the hosts aren't connecting on any sort of level, which I suspect was the case here.

Intellect is the "secret sauce" of any successful talk show. It's no shame that Erin Kelly couldn't compete with Roger's intellect; instead of being the "charming foil" that works so well in other venues (Howard Stern is an extreme example), but it could have worked here, if it were allowed to develop. The chemistry never quite came together. I feel very sad for Erin.
Landrew

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu May 07, 2015 10:10 am

I've criticized in the past and may do so again but for now . . .

I will give props to Roger Kingkade for holding former Premier Jim Prentice's feet to the fire over the decision to allow MLA Mike Allen's nomination (convicted for prostitution) as the PC candidate for Fort-McMurray Wood Buffalo in light of Prentice denying Jamie Lall's (had a restraining order taken out against him by an ex-) attempt to run for the PC nomination for Chestermere-Rocky View.

Roger made the former Premier squirm with his very direct and pointed line of questioning. It was re-aired later the same day on Dan Riendeau's night-time program on 770 and CHED.

Kingkade's interview led to additional media scrutiny and national attention.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta