AMP Calgary ends short song experiment

Radio news from Alberta

AMP Calgary ends short song experiment

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:35 pm

From Metro News

August 19, 2014 Updated : August 19, 2014 | 5:20 pm
Calgary’s 90.3 AMP Radio drops truncated song format amid outcry

By Jeremy Nolais

A Calgary radio station has backed away from its controversial new format that saw songs chopped in half.

On Tuesday, 90.3 AMP Radio returned to playing songs at their full length, confirmed Steve Jones, vice-president of programming for Newcap Radio, AMP’s parent company.

He said the decision came in the wake of outcry from musicians and certain record labels. He said no lawsuits had been filed but Newcap anticipated there would be if they pressed ahead with a format that saw that a majority of songs edited down to under two-and-half-minutes.

AMP introduced its new format Aug. 1 and generated a great deal of debate just days later.

But Jones didn’t rule out returning to the format known as Quickhitz, which was designed by Vancouver-based SparkNet Communications. SparkNet has said songs aren’t simply chopped in a linear fashion but are skillfully edited to remove repeated choruses and lengthy instrumentals.

“It’s easy to bring it back and hopefully we’ll get a chance,” Jones said Tuesday. “Our only really disappointment . . . (is) that the consumers didn’t get to decide what was right for Calgary.”

Among those levelling heated criticism against AMP was Calgary singer-songwriter Jann Arden, who launched a days-long Twitter tirade against the station and urged listeners to boycott it

“Does anybody know of an art gallery that I can go to to look at paintings that are half covered up?” Arden wrote in one of her tamer tweets Aug. 11.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/113083 ... id-outcry/
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Re: AMP Calgary ends short song experiment

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm

S T U N T worked.

It was a lot better than burning money, that could have fed and helped so many, like these folks did a while ago.

What's next?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Tom Jeffries wrote:S T U N T worked.

It was a lot better than burning money, that could have fed and helped so many, like these folks did a while ago.

What's next?

I don't think this was a stunt. They've burnt a lot of money. Calgary Transit buses decked out with AMP Radio Double The Music bannerwrap don't come cheap.

The only thing that comes cheap is haircuts for their programming wizard.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:25 pm

This move by AMP was actually a story along with a voicer from PD Steve Jones on CKNW's major news at 5.

I wonder if NW sister station QR-77 in Calgary saw this as being a news story and covered it?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Absolutely not a stunt.

Do you think Sparknet, who provide this format, would allow themselves to be dragged though this? Would Sean Ross (who consultes for them) have written an industry wide article and tarnish his reputation by participating like that? Do you think Jann Arden would be in on it?

The station never even promoted that songs were shortened. Just "twice the music", which, in a sea of meaningless slogans, wouldn't have meant much to anyone. If you're stunting, you don't shut up about how short the songs are.

Some stunt.

They F'd up. Period. They quickly turned every record label against the entire chain. They explicitly violated the broadcasting act. They quietly returned to full versions this morning without saying a peep about it during the morning show.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Tenax » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:15 pm

I can't believe Pat Bohn wouldn't have bulletproofed the format for legality going into it..or that new cap wouldn't have been assured they were protected. I also would have to think someone would have tested quickhitz with a panel. Matter of fact, knowing a research guy , Mike Henry is tied into the format I would be pretty sure of it. So, what happened then? Best guess someone in Newcap panicked. Steve Jones? Can't see that. I say higher up. Or could/would the record companies give that much heat, maybe if enough artists whined at them. In a way, everyone loses here. Except Jann Arden, who probably will go to sleep tonight thinking she saved the music industry. Would I want to see half a painting, Jann? No. Does seeing that same painting at 5 different places in a gallery improve it? No.
Tenax

Postby kat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 pm

A cunning stunt that went wrong.

I'd have to say NewCap is on a very short leash with he CRTC.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Sparknet, still promoting it with other "stunts" like JACK-FM and Pat Bohn.

http://sparknet.co/ (scroll to bottom)
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby groundskeeper willy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Tenax wrote:I can't believe Pat Bohn wouldn't have bulletproofed the format for legality going into it..or that new cap wouldn't have been assured they were protected.

And that's the big head-scratcher. Was it a stunt? I highly doubt it, simply because of the time/energy/expense required to do it. I suspect that SparkNet got clearance from the CRTC in regards to the Cancon issue (which had been explored at length on other threads) and the preliminary listener research from that station in Decatur IL (where they've also done the QuickHitz thing) was positive, or at least neutral, so they probably felt reasonably assured that any hurdles experienced in Calgary would be minor. But maybe they should have run a couple focus groups with folks who've actually created the content that would eventually be edited to 120-seconds in length.

While I have no proof, I'd venture a guess that CIMA (Canadian Independent Music Association) may have been one of the key players behind the legal threats that helped convince Newcap to change their ways. CIMA is a strong advocate for independent artists/labels/copyright owners across Canada and they do a great job on looking out for their member's best interests.
groundskeeper willy
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 pm

The likeliest scenario comes out with senior Kneecap management panicking that the CRTC will nail them for not playing the complete versions of the cancon.

They are undoubtedly running scared after all the hits they took on the mostly inherited non-compliance issues at The Snore 104. Especially since it was cited as part of the reason they didn't get their requested deletion of specialty format there.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:35 pm

And now, after suffering whatever credibility they may have had being tarnished and trashed, NewCap has to send "the brightest programming minds in the world" right back to the drawing board/sandbox/discount store.

Boys and girls. I submit this exercise was no stunt. Jumping off a moving train is a stunt, but only one to be attempted by well-rehearsed professionals.

No. What this strategy or tactic was could only be described as an act of abject desperation - originally designed by someone who is cynical about, and has no respect for, audiences, advertisers, employees or artists.

NewCap can also be included in the group of corporate radio ownerships that have no idea what they are doing.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Isn't this the same station that has sought attention in the past for stunts like burning cash and giving away a boob job?

I'd hate to have to answer to shareholders at a board meeting for this dysfunctional company.

Most must wish they'd found a buyer for the group of stations that was up for sale last year. That was before the board blew another 120 million for five Astral stations from Bell.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby Tenax » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:54 am

I also would submit that in this age of programming to ppm's, its likely that was considered in creating the format. Wouldn't be the first time programming to ppm's is counter intuitive to the individuals tastes. It is all about the numbers after all.
Tenax

Postby jon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:17 am

This morning's Broadcast Dialogue turns a bit of a different light on things, at least in terms of the Steve Jones quotes that were used:
RADIO: That “twice the music”
format at 90.3 AMP Calgary is
toast, at least for the moment.
The three-week QuickHitz blitz (from
V a n c o u v e r - b a s e d S p a r k n e t
Communications) came to an end
because of litigation threats. Steve
Jones, Newcap’s VP of programming
based in Halifax, is quoted as saying
that to do this format successfully
“would involve far too many lawyers”
getting rich. Most of the artists who
made the legal noises are Canadian,
said Jones. Plus there were other
industry stakeholders in the fray too.
But he’s not giving up: “Our plan is to
go back to the drawing board, maybe
work a bit closer with some of the
various stakeholders in the industry and
try and bring this back at a later date,"
Jones told CP...
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 am

Radio in Canada, has always been about community, and not insulting and assuming that the listener has a short attention span.
PMC

Next

Return to Alberta