Wally Hild passes away

Radio news from Alberta

Wally Hild passes away

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:52 pm

From the Lethbridge Herald today :

HILD, WALLY
Wally passed away with family by his side at Surrey Memorial Hospital. He will be dearly missed by his wife Caroline, son Christopher (Yvette, Henny- grandaughter), daughter Jodi (Damon Calderwood, Riley-grand- son), sister Anne (Percy) Palmer, brother Wolfgang (Corine) Hild, brother Conrad (Barbara) Hild, sister Carolyn (Rudy) Hahn, many nieces and nephews, and friends. Celebration of his life will be held at Mahoney & Sons,1055 Canada Place, Vancouver, on Saturday April 18th from 2-6pm. If so desired, memorial donations can be made to the BC Cancer Society. A special thanks goes out to the amazing medical teams who cared
for him along he way.

I have fond memories of working with Wally many many years ago at CHEC 1090 in Lethbridge.
Always a down to earth , sincere man who very much enjoyed broadcasting !
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Re: Wally Hild passes away

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:26 pm

I know somewhere Glen "Mad Dog" Moore is saddened too.

I remember listening to Wally on 1220 CJOC in the early '90s before Mike LeBlanc took over the morning show. Wally also covered off for Dan Germain as back-up weather guy at 2&7 Lethbridge.

It's too bad Wally ultimately lost his battle to cancer. He was first diagnosed in 1994 - https://www.growingbolder.com/wally-hild/ and went on to fight it to the point that he competed in iron man competitions. He wrote a book about his experiences - http://bookstore.trafford.com/Products/ ... hadow.aspx

Last time I heard him on air was in Penticton at AM 800.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta