Billy Power's Sign-Off line

Radio news from Alberta

Billy Power's Sign-Off line

Postby pave » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:37 pm

We happened to be discussing some stories about Billy Powers over dinner tonight.
My brother-in-law was wondering about Billy's sign-off line, and I couldn't come up with it, either.
Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be chewing my pillow later with the angst of an unclosed matter. :flames:
pave
Advanced Member

Re: Billy Power's Sign-Off line

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:29 pm

I don't recall Billy having a sign off line.

I recall him just signing off with something like "That's sports ... I'm Bill(y) Powers" and then maybe he'd launch into a joke.

Nithing fancy like Chuck Bolland's (KJR) "That's the Way The Ball Bounces" ...
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:38 am

I once had the great pleasure of meeting the late Billy Powers, former sports director for CKXL Calgary. as I did my broadcasting school practicum at Moffat Radio in Calgary, many moons ago !

The world famous sign off for Billy Powers (then Calgary's most listened to radio sportscast) was as follows:

"I'm Bill Powers, XL RADIO SPORTS...and we'll be back with more sports... (he bellowed?) IN A MINUTE..."

This famous Powers sports extro was later showcased in a tv commercial, currently circulating on youtube, and featuring Norm Edwards, Ron ("gimee some neck") Wood, and Billy Powers, all sitting in a car in Calgary traffic, with Powers saying: "and I'll be back with more sports, IN A MINUTE ! "

What a character Powers was ! His later tragic death in Calgary brought to a halt a legendary career in broadcasting.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:08 am

the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:14 am

Thanks, guys!
The line I was cranial drilling on was, in fact, "In a minute."
pave
Advanced Member