rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Re: Corus to Buy Shaw Media

Postby kal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:58 am

kal
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:31 am

When I saw this on TV - Corus in lights on the side of buildings I said wow this will generate some interest

The more I read the more I said:

Here we have 'JR' selling to Brad or Heather. Jim selling to Julie.

Reminds me of the Aspers, the Griffiths

Ok my bad - back to sleep :violent1:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:04 pm

When do the layoffs start, again?
This is a survival move, if things keep going this way.
Advertising monies falling, and then there are those pesky employees and expensive health insurance and Benefits.
Fire al the full time - and make everyone P/T.
Media will be under tremendous pressure, for the foreseeable future.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Recordman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:45 pm

I always thought that Corus and Shaw were the same company or connected in some way.Didn`t think it was big news,to me anyway.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby thedriveyyc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:13 pm

From the Globe and Mail:

And by combining with Shaw Media, Corus is also expecting to wring out $40-million to $50-million in annual cost savings within two years...

How do you think they're going to do that? Not by having to order less paperclips, that's for sure...
thedriveyyc

Postby freqfreak2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:12 pm

How do you think they're going to do that? Not by having to order less paperclips, that's for sure...

That should read fewer paper clips. Sorry - pet peeve.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:53 pm

So, Tom:

Looks like Corus isn't as long in the tooth, or "broke," financially, as you first thought. If Corus can afford a 2 billion dollar sale, that buys a lot of part time help.

Also, tv and radio job descriptions will, no doubt, be merging, with tv staff eventually expected to pitch in with radio, make no mistake.

Do you think that Corus radio staff will get an opportunity to do television. I don't think so !

Bottom line ? You tv folk will be asked to do more in your job description, for the same salary or wage.

Of course, Corus radio staff will be laid off and/or fired !
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:45 pm

As far as the price, Corus did just get a bunch of cash for turning over national HBO and movie channel rights to Bell. So there's that.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:41 am

Corus to launch live-entertainment division, start with CMT Music Fest in July
The Canadian Press 01.31.2016

TORONTO - Corus Entertainment says it's expanding in the live events business, starting with a two-day country music in July that's associated with its CMT specialty TV channel.

The Toronto-based company says the country-music festival will headlined by Grammy nominee Eric Church on July 8 and the Grammy winning Zac Brown Band on July 9 in Kitchener, Ont., at the Bingemans grounds.

Corus Live is intended to be a new source of revenue for the integrated media company, which owns a variety of TV channels and radio stations and the Nelvana animation studio.

The company says future Corus Live events will be built around its brands for kids, families and women.

Its brands include the Canadian versions of CMT, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel as well as its own YTV, Teletoon and Treehouse channels and radio stations such as Toronto's 102.1 The Edge, which promotes a number of summer events.

The Corus Live announcement follows a $2.65-billion deal for Corus to buy Shaw Media. That deal is expected to close by May 31, giving Corus Entertainment (TSX:CJR.B) additional specialty TV channels and the Global conventional television network.

Corus president and CEO Doug Murphy says Corus will promote the CMT Music Fest across the company's digital, television and radio platforms.

"The creation of Corus Live advances our strategic priorities to expand into new and adjacent markets and engage our audiences," Murphy, said in a statement Monday.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:12 pm

Why don't they start by returning to making their radio stations LIVE, around the clock
...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Live radio stations around the clock? That's just crazy talk. The UK has a live 24/7 news talk station called LBC that's great to listen to.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Corus shareholders approve deal to buy Shaw media unit
Corus takes over Global TV network, HGTV and other media properties
The Canadian Press
Posted: Mar 09, 2016 12:09 PM ET

A deal for Corus Entertainment to buy the media division of Shaw Communications has received shareholder approval.

According to a statement from Corus, its class B shareholders voted 78.52 per cent in favour of the $2.65-billion acquisition.

The company says the results of Wednesday's vote still needs to be audited.

Catalyst Capital Group Inc. had attempted to block the vote, but failed to win support from Ontario's stock regulator.

The private equity firm had bought 0.4 per cent of Corus's class B shares after the deal was announced and urged Corus shareholders to reject the Shaw purchase.

Through the deal, Corus will acquire the Global Television network and 19 specialty channels including HGTV Canada, Food Network Canada and Showcase from Shaw Communications Ltd.

Both Corus, which was spun off from Shaw in 1999, and Shaw Communications, are controlled by the Shaw family through their holdings of class A shares of both companies.

The Ontario Securities Commission ruled Monday that Catalyst had no legal standing to challenge the deal. Catalyst had called on Corus to renegotiate the sale, arguing it overpaid for the assets.

Broadcasting is an uncertain sector at the moment, as revenues slide and there is uncertainty over how to the change to pick-and-pay options will be received by consumers.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:53 pm

Does the CRTC have to weigh in on this yet?
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Yes.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Alberta