Nicola Crosbie is leaving CRUZ-FM Edmonton

Radio news from Alberta

Nicola Crosbie is leaving CRUZ-FM Edmonton

Postby groundwave » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:21 am

Well known Edmonton broadcaster Nicola Crosby has announced via Facebook that she has parted ways with Edmonton's CRUZ-FM. The former Global Edmonton meteorologist has co-hosted the station's morning show since around April 2015 - a few months after she left Global.

https://www.facebook.com/nicola.meteorologist/posts/10153546097827024
groundwave
Advanced Member

Re: Nicola Crosbie is leaving CRUZ-FM Edmonton

Postby Rocky » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 am

I saw her post on FB this morning. I guess going back to radio looked like a great opportunity, but unfortunately, it was at the wrong station. Hopefully one of the Edmonton TV stations will have the smarts
to grab her and get her back where she belongs.

I've also noticed that Gary James is leaving CRUZ to return to retirement.

No jock info at all on the CRUZ website and no word from or sign of Crosbie's on air partner Lochlin Cross.

Are they totally blowing up this ratings challenged station again and going in yet another direction?

Much like 104.9 out in Vancouver, 95.7 in Edmonton seems to be cursed at anything they do.

It's sad that the on air staff are always the ones to pay the price for bad decisions by management.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am

Certainly wish Nicola all the best and that she gets a good job on her terms and timing.

Gary James has long been one of my favourites, dating back to his time as Gary Jackson at 1090 CHEC Lethbridge. His afternoon show on 1140 XL Radio Calgary was always something to look forward to.

Enjoy your retirement! :salute:
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:51 pm

Rocky wrote:95.7 in Edmonton seems to be cursed at anything they do.

Opinions vary here in Edmonton as to just how big a stumbling block to profitability that one of the conditions of license for 95.7 is:
The licensee shall devote a minimum of 15% of all musical selections broadcast each broadcast week to music drawn from content subcategory 3 (Special Interest Music).
jon
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:22 pm

How tough would it be to play some tunes that would fit the Cat 3 distinction and that would also be appealing to their general audience?
(From here, it hardly qualifies as an excuse for lousy books.)
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:00 pm

In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2015-199, the Commission stated that the licensee appeared to have failed to comply with its condition of licence concerning the broadcast of category 3 music by devoting only 10.36% of its musical selections to such music during the broadcast week of 25 to 31 May 2014 as opposed to the 15% that it is required to broadcast. The Commission’s analysis found that Harvard had incorrectly identified several selections as falling into content category 3. Harvard did not contest this analysis. It indicated that it now has a clear understanding of what musical selections qualify as category 3 selections and has revised its playlists accordingly. (CRTC)
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks to Lacey Slater at CRUZ FM for the Media Release regarding Gary James' retirement.

Gary James Announces Retirement

For Immediate Release

July 25, 2016 - 95.7 CRUZ FM’s Gary James has announced that he is hanging up the headphones after 37 years on the airwaves. Gary came to Edmonton in 1996 and has been entertaining Edmonton’s listeners for the past twenty years.

“When I convinced Gary out of retirement, I promised he could golf all morning & play radio all afternoon, and to give me 1 year. That was 3 years ago.” says General Manager, Tamara Konrad. “He will be greatly missed by our listeners, clients, and staff.”

Gary says “Thank you Edmonton, for making the last 20 years unforgettable…I will miss you! I make the most mess at home, so I will be spending more time cleaning it up and my golf game needs a lot of work. Blessings!”

Gary’s last day on air will be Friday, August 12th.

With Gary’s departure, our very own Shirley McQueen will be moving into the Drive Show, Derek Allen will be moving into Mid-Days & Shannon Medaglia will be hosting Weekends.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:

A new morning show at 95.7 CRUZ fm (CKEA-FM) Edmonton. Lochlin Cross, Grant Johnson and James White host mornings with their ‘Locker Room.’ Former morning co-host Nicola Crosbie is no longer with the station. Johnson previously partnered with Ryder in mornings at sister station Hot 107 (CJNW-FM ), and White’s previous gig was with 100.3 FM The Bear (CFBR-FM) Edmonton.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta