Real Country for CKGY, CKSA, CHSP, CKWB, CKVH, CKSQ, CIBQ

Radio news from Alberta

Real Country for CKGY, CKSA, CHSP, CKWB, CKVH, CKSQ, CIBQ

Postby TRENT310 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:51 am

As hinted on-air promos and on their social media pages last week, CHSP 97.7 St. Paul AB freshened up their on-air branding to drop 'The Spur' from the name while retaining the 'Real Country' slogan.

Prior to flipping to FM, the station was formerly 1310 CHLW.

As usual, lots of verbal slips on the morning show and even some of the old jingles played this morning out of habit.

A similar format change for CKGY Red Deer, longtime KG Country even through the 1170 AM days. Since earlier staff changes, the morning show had already been branded 'The Real Wake-Up'.

CKSA Lloyd-FM joined in this morning (and their website is still not redirecting correctly as of this writing).

The remaining Q Country stations CKSQ Stettler and CIBQ Brooks, Mountain Radio CJEV (and its repeaters,) as well as CKVH High Prairie's 'Prairie FM' retaining the Hot Country format also got their new brand names today - except for Q91 having switched to 910 CFCW earlier in the year.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Re: Real Country for CKGY, CKSA, CHSP, CKWB, CKVH, CKSQ, CIB

Postby TRENT310 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Here are some jingles from the new package ... hear one, and you've heard them all (just change the frequency numbers).

CHSP Real Country 97-7

So, I am really liking this branding so far. In my opinion too bad CKDQ couldn't have been part of this instead, but eh.
I've had the phone hung up on me enough times by the staff at Newcap Edmonton to realize although they claim to solicit commentary and feedback, they don't seem to appreciate it when I tell them. Haha. :razz:
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Real Country? As opposed to what?

I still don't know what's Wild about Wild 95.3 in Calgary never mind now trying to figure out what's Real Country.

Back to Willie's Roadhouse on SiriusXM
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 am

They both refer to a contemporary country or "hot" format, as opposed to their "legendary" classic format they run on CFCW, for example. (Home of where they don't like to play Sam Hunt, I guess, as was proclaimed by Jackie-Rae on the afternoon specials show.)

The Q91/CFCW rebrand back in March as well as this name change brings together some common brand recognition for both the classic and contemporary Country stations that Newcap operates... not unlike the K-Rock stations NCC runs across the country. I'm curious to see whether they keep the districts separate or centralize resources and news/ag show programming as well as the playlist. It seems Dean Thorpe now does pre-recorded ag news segments for Newcap's stations all over the province rather than Alberta East district coming up with the segments from Lloydminster for the St. Paul and Wainwright operations and Red Deer doing the segments for Stettler, Brooks, Drumheller markets.

From what I can tell since Monday, CKWB, CKSQ, CIBQ, and CJPR are all still synchronized when running automation, they play the same tracks in the same order more or less at the same time +/- several seconds and depending on advertising.

CJPR/CJPV/CJEV also doesn't mention a frequency on-air due to the translators. As of this writing the mountainradiofm.com website is still up and the advertised realcountrysouthwest.ca webpage does not load.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:38 am

From this morning's Broadcast Dialogue:
Newcap Radio has re-branded eight of its Alberta country stations as the Real Country Network. Led by CCMA Station of the Year CKGY-FM Red Deer, the network includes CKSA-FM Lloydminster, CHSP-FM St. Paul, CKWB-FM Westlock, CKVH-FM High Prairie, CKSQ-FM Stettler, CIBQ-FM Brooks and CJPR-FM Blairmore. The stations will have live morning shows, but off-peak programming will be centralized out of Red Deer. Seven on-air and programming positions have been eliminated as a result. Newcap says all the stations will continue to provide extensive local coverage to each community they serve.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta