City TV Local News returning to Calgary and other cities

Radio news from Alberta

City TV Local News returning to Calgary and other cities

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:55 pm

From the Calgary Herald :

Rogers Media will expand CityNews across Canada. Local versions will be in Edmonton and Winnipeg by Sept. 4 and Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary by Winter of 2018.
Rogers Media will expand CityNews across Canada. Local versions will be in Edmonton and Winnipeg by Sept. 4 and Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary by Winter of 2018. TIM FRASER / CALGARY HERALD

Rogers Media announced Monday it will be expanding its news program, CityNews, into Calgary by the winter of 2018.

It’s part of a wider expansion that will also see local versions of the program air in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Montreal. The one-hour newscasts will broadcast seven days a week with CityNews at Six at 6 p.m. and CityNews Tonight at 11 p.m.

The new programs will debut on Sept. 4 in Edmonton and Winnipeg and expand into Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary by Winter 2018.

Rogers Media’s sister brands, including Maclean’s, Breakfast Television and Sportsnet, will also be featured in the broadcasts.

Rogers will announce details on new on-air talent in coming months.

In January of 2010, Citytv announced it would cancel all local news programming other than Breakfast Television in a major restructuring of its television operations that led to the cancellation of News@Noon, Your City and This City Show in Calgary.
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Re: City TV Local News returning to Calgary and other cities

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Given how Rogers had to gut much of its programming on both City and OMNI and replace them with more Cancon reruns and documentaries (and in OMNI's case, increased ethnic programming) due to overpaying for the rights to air Hockey Night in Canada, I'll believe it when I see it (and even then, that'll be asking a bit much because I don't watch news on TV anymore because of what it's turned into).
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta