Prerecorded Newscasts

Radio news from Alberta

Postby jon » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:34 am

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I cannot remember anyone pre-recording their Newscasts since CHQM-FM started doing so on September 1, 1971, to avoid simulcasting with CHQM-AM, to meet tighter CRTC simulcast regulations.

But, this morning, I turned on the radio to listen to Wolfman Jack on Cool 8-80 at 10:00 a.m. The radio was already on CHED, but when I switched to CHQT, it was the same newsman doing the 10:00 a.m. News on both stations. But they were not simulcast. CHED was live and CHQT was pre-recorded, complete with time checks.

Anyone know of any other instances? Years ago, I had assumed that TV Network News was recorded live in Atlantic Canada and then tape delayed across the country. But, I have a letter around here somewhere from CBC Brass that states that The National was (is?) being done live in each time zone.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:03 am

jonedmonton wrote:Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I cannot remember anyone pre-recording their Newscasts since CHQM-FM started doing so on September 1, 1971, to avoid simulcasting with CHQM-AM, to meet tighter CRTC simulcast regulations.

Corus news which ran out of CKNW for the Corus News Network, prerecorded the news, and also repeated the same newscast in the next hour on occasion. I know it was occuring on the weekends for sure, but I can't say that it happened during the week.

I am sure that many others do it, on a regular basis.
PMC

Postby Glen Livingstone » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:42 am

PMC wrote:Corus news which ran out of CKNW for the Corus News Network, prerecorded the news, and also repeated the same newscast in the next hour on occasion. I know it was occuring on the weekends for sure, but I can't say that it happened during the week.

I am sure that many others do it, on a regular basis.

With innovative ideas like this, CKNW doesn't call itself B.C.'s News Leader for nothing.

I'm sure that if they could find a way to pre-tape their whole programming day and get away with it, they would.

With technology advancing at its current pace, I wonder how long it will be before someone creates software that uses a computer-generated, focus-group-tested, warm-sounding voice that will be able to assemble and read newscasts or commercials independent of any human interface?

When that glorious day arrives, Koenigsfest and Plasteras will be sitting all by themselves on the 21st floor of the Black Tower playing pinochle, and wondering how it all went so horribly wrong.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:47 am

When I worked at WX on the weekends in the 70s the news guy used to prerecord the 1a, 2a, 3a and 4a cast. This was done after the midnight cast so he usually stuck around until almost 1a before taking off. The 5a cast was live but there was usually someone in the newsroom a little after 4a. It only caused a problem once when we had a big earthquake in the middle of the night.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:15 pm

Pluto wrote: With technology advancing at its current pace, I wonder how long it will be before someone creates software that uses a computer-generated, focus-group-tested, warm-sounding voice that will be able to assemble and read newscasts or commercials independent of any human interface?

The amazing thing is that someone has already gone to more work than that with those tools, to create Monk-e-mail http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/

Some guy at CareerBuilder built it from oddcast tools, but it would have taken much less work just to take a newsfeed and use one of the voices to read it.

For any of you that don't have a sound card, the concept is that a chimp can be seen and heard on your computer reading an e-mail message to you.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta