Magic 99 Goes Country

Radio news from Alberta

Postby jon » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:14 pm

After seemingly avoiding anything that sounded remotely like Country music since they debuted last December, Magic 99 is now the only station in town (I haven't checked Big Earl or CISN) playing "This is Us" in frequent rotation. The song was actually recorded around 1999, but was removed from a duets album that Mark Knopfler did at the time, because he wanted to do an entire album with Emmylou Harris. It took 6 years for them both to find time to put the songs together and record them. The album was released April 25, 2006.

I'm not a Country fan, so I thought it was Dolly Parton when I first heard it, but I really like the song from when I first heard it a couple of weeks ago.

All very interesting because, as I see it, at the time that Magic 99 debuted last December, Easy Rock went out of their way to promote the fact that they played some Country songs (which they'd started several months earlier). But Magic 99 clearly avoided (even the hint of) the genre all together.

Now Magic 99 is playing this, and I've yet to hear it on Easy Rock.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:50 pm

I have not heard the tune that you mentioned but will seek it out.

Knopfler is talented in many ways, from his movie sound tracks to Dire Straits... Radio Fan got me interested in his movie sound tracks when he was the MD at QR, and carted half of a seven minute tune called `The Long Road'... a really mellow tune with a tin whistle included. I still play it today in MP3, but have the original album etc.

EmmyLou Harris does great stuff too... I like her version of Simon & Garfunkel's `The Boxer' from along time ago.

Because of their backgrounds, anything they do together could fit into different formats.... assuming the radio juke box companies pick it up... music programming is becoming a lost art in most broadcast outlets etc.

One more thing about Knopfler is that he embraced the internet and was probably the first to acknowledge he wanted his fans to download his tunes.
PMC

Postby jon » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:26 pm

In case anyone is interested, I have two other current songs that I like:[list][*]"Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley[/*:m][*]"oneSONG" by Jacksoul[/*:m][/list:u]Both are charted and played locally, in regular rotation, on commercial radio, though Terry David Mulligan was the first to play Gnarls Barkely, on CKUA.

http://www.gnarlsbarkley.com currently allows you to play the song or the video. Interesting video concept, as it morphs occasional pictures of them singing into the overall animated ink images used in some types of Psychology, which ties into the Crazy aspect.

http://www.jacksoul.com/music.html also provides the full song in lo or hi bit rates. I haven't listened to the rest of the new Jacksoul album, as this is only original song on the CD.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta