LET'S CRITIQUE OUR OWN!

Radio news from Alberta

Postby monakitty » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:37 pm

I have a career that spans over 2 1/2 decades. I am sure there are more with more, and more with less. Who are the best/worst PD's you've worked for,...and why?
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:30 am

monakitty wrote: I have a career that spans over 2 1/2 decades. I am sure there are more with more, and more with less. Who are the best/worst PD's you've worked for,...and why?

Mona, I'm not going to mention names (awwww!) but let me answer the second part of your question.

When I was jocking lo those many years ago, I liked doing bits with sound effects and characters. All I kept hearing was "Don't do that!" from the PDs .. but they'd never say WHY I shouldn't be doing it.

Had I been told "you should try your bit *this* way, because..." it would have been a better experience. Frankly, I was left with the impression all they wanted was more music and liners and no me.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:16 am

A complicated question. Some of the PDs I disliked personally were the sharpest talents and vice-versa. Another point; there was one PD for whom I worked at two different stations and right from the start we became close friends (partied and played together, had dinner at each others homes, wives were good buds too). While it's always nice to have friends, it doesn't work very well to mix it with a boss/employee relationship. It can, and did, get complicated at times. Fortunately, he never had to fire me but disciplinary situations were awkward for both of us.
On the subject of getting fired; It happened twice for me. Keith James did it the worst, just plain mean, even though I deserved the boot. Neil Gallagher did it with compassion. He sincerely hated doing it and almost looked like he could've cried.
Dale Buote was probably my over-all favorite guy to work for. Didn't always tell me what I wanted to hear but never promised me anything he couldn't come through with and never lied to me.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:31 am

"It happened twice for me. Keith James did it the worst, just plain mean, even though I deserved the boot."

confess JC what did you do or not do to deserve the boot.

My feelings on firings are that often the problem is not addressed
the talent is booted and the result can be worse.

I favour an approach by management to get at the root of a problem and develop a loyal long term employee

"O JB that is so hokey"
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Best PD I ever worked for was Greg Haraldson at QR 77

Worst .. ??? ;)
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:50 am

Since '63 I have worked for many PDs - none of whom taught me anything other than "station-policy-of-the-moment".

The majority of them were Jocks.... who couldn't cut it, but still wanted to stay in the biz.

One, however, a guy name of Mike Button (out of San Diego and L.A. Radio), was the most supportive. He would challenge me to consider alternatives in presenting a "bit" and let me run with it. His slogan was: "I don't care if the guy blows dead bears - so long as he gets me numbers!"

I liked that. (And the "dead bears" thing was just a lousy rumour. Most of them did have a pulse and were quite appreciative.)

The most supportive Radio Consultant was Ted Randal, also out of the U.S.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:51 am

Haroldson was awesome. We had a good time there, didn't we radiofan?
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:24 pm

hmmmmmmmm

what kind of board is this:

"I don't care if the guy blows dead bears - so long as he gets me numbers!"
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:08 pm

As to the "dead bears": I didn't say it. He said it! :)

Meanwhile, Haroldson was always working for the competition, but on the occasions where we did chat, he seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Glad to read others' confirmation of this.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:11 am

Top Dog wrote:"It happened twice for me.  Keith James did it the worst, just plain mean, even though I deserved the boot." 

confess JC what did you do or not do to deserve the boot.

I ain't sayin' nuttin'

Except, that I assure you all, there were no "dead bears" involved.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:07 am

Best pd(s) that I've encountered (worked with, not for) would have to be Brian Depoe and Paul Larsen.

On the other end of the scale would have to be Wes Erikson and Greg Haraldson. Unforunately I tripped over these two after their "best before" dates had passed.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:04 pm

Wes Erickson, definately a prick. Look! He's sitting in the "Where are they now?" file. I liked Greg, although I was doing van reports and rarely saw him.
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:26 pm

monakitty wrote: Wes Erickson, definately a prick. Look! He's sitting in the "Where are they now?" file. I liked Greg, although I was doing van reports and rarely saw him.

Oh shit, don't let Arnold Schoenburg hear that you used to be a cruiser-chick - he goes completely ga-ga for that stuff.

Even though he's a professional hand model... if you get my meaning...

Well?

Do ya?

That's all I'm saying
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Arnold Schoenberg » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:07 pm

I heard my name mentioned?
Arnold Schoenberg
Advanced Member

Postby butch » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:36 pm

could you tell me about paul larsen and whether he worked in bc