VINCE DiMAGGIO DEAD

Radio news from Alberta

Postby monakitty » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:49 am

I have just read about this on the other board. Since I can no longer reply there, I'd like to throw it out here. He was my GM at CJAY a lot of years back. Word is that he died in Florida. Does anyone know what happened?
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:17 am

Someone I spoke to heard that he may have been strangled by one of his many gold neck chains.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:49 pm

Not a lot of info around on this gentleman

no sign of his death or obit

I posted something on south ontario board - no reaction

here is what I can find published about him

(Copyright The Calgary Herald)

Calgary's original FM rock station says it's going back to its roots at 7 a.m. today, thanks to new federal regulations that allow some radio format changes without lengthy application procedures.

CJAY, or "CJ-92," as it's often called, is switching to 1970s rock and bringing back veteran disc jockeys Tom Tompkins and Jim Ripley for a weekend kickoff.

But that age-old side-effect of format changes - disappeared DJs - won't happen in this case, says general manager Vince DiMaggio.

"Nobody's being fired," DiMaggio said.

Meanwhile, talks are going on regarding a possible sale of the station, and an announcement is expected next week.

New ownership shouldn't affect the format, he said.

CJAY has used television and radio ads urging listeners to say what kind of radio they wanted.

The overwhelming majority, DiMaggio said, wanted the old station back - the CJ of the mid-70s with less talk, and music from that era and perhaps into the early 1980s: "No rap, no crap," DiMaggio said.

He claimed they won't be "stuck in a time warp," but the station had to change because it had drifted into an undefined mix of old and new music, somewhere between CHFM and KIK-FM.

The Canadian Radio- television and Telecommunications Commision is relaxing the radio regulations.

Stations can alter their format as long as they don't make a wholesale switch, such as going from rock to country.

(august 91)
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:37 pm

Top Dog

There was a reply eventually. He passed away while getting a by-pass on Thursday afternoon. He was an interesting, kind of scary dude. Worked with him a CJAY Calgary for a number of years.
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:59 pm

Where have you gone Vince DiMaggio?
A station turns its lonely eyes to you ...
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:56 pm

T-Man

I thought he was okay too. No beef with him. An interesting guy....
I remember a KEG Christmas party with the station. I had to forceibly remove a listener that won a party for 9, who became drunk and beligerent. Lots of Anniversary dinners around us.
Vince shook my hand the next morning. That's when I knew I liked him.
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:55 pm

He abused a few (female) friends of mine. Another party - better "connected" than I - called me in to a private meeting downtown and asked if I had any respect for the man.

A few weeks later he was out of Calgary.

I remember him as a brute, a bully and a boor.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:04 pm

Perhaps.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby monakitty » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 am

Pave,

I had actually forgotten about that (those) incidents. There were a couple of ladies at CFCN/CJAY at the time that claimed inappropriate behaviour with Vince.
As I said earlier, he didn't do anything personally to me, but I had heard the stories of the others. One of those ladies lived across the hall in the apartment building back then, and after her incident with Vinnie, she was no fan.
monakitty
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:19 pm

pave wrote:
I remember him as a brute, a bully and a boor.

Sounds just like Totentard.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta