Jay Donald gone from QR

Radio news from Alberta

Postby radiofan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:46 pm

Word out of Calgary this afternoon reports that Jay Donald is no longer PD at QR-77. Jay apparently was offered another position within Corus Calgary, but he declined.

Now...if Mel Hoyme was amongst us, he'd be able to tell us what number Jay was in QR's long list of PDs. I'd guess he was #18 or #19.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:20 pm

Wow first the move to shorter stop sets and now this.

Seems like Corus is on a roll in terms of making changes that are obvious and long overdue.

They're partying like it's 1999 I tellz ya.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:23 pm

If I'd been able to get on to send a message earlier, I would have said...I told you so. I tipped you off a few days ago.....see previous entry...Something's In The Wind....
He apparently, according to rumours from within...refused to accept more infomercials.

J.S.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:26 pm

johnsykes wrote:
He apparently, according to rumours from within...refused to accept more infomercials.

well then there's no reason to check the weather forecast for Hades.

I'm pretty certain that there's frost on ol' incubus' ass.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:54 pm

Didn't Jay replace the guy that everyone referred to as the A--hole from Winnipeg?
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:56 pm

Although I can HARDLY wait until XFM finds out and starts spouting off about how "Rob Breakenford" should be the news director.

She's goin to swoon! Swoon I tellz ya.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:57 pm

kat wrote: Didn't Jay replace the guy that everyone referred to as the A--hole from Winnipeg?

Lot's of a-holes from Winnipeg - can you be a BIT more specific?
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Was it Tom Far or something like that? Apparently his claim to fame was that he was Doc Harris' newsguy at LG in the early 80's. I had friends at QR when he weas there and there didn't appear to be a fan club for him. I'd never heard of him before.
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 pm

Not Tom Farr, but Ted Farr.....he tried to be a sports guy when I haunted the sports scene in Vancouver.....he was meak and mild at that time....but apparently toughened up later.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Wasn't he at WX for a time after LG? I t5hink he is in Saskatoon or REgina now.

In the phone book, would he be listed as FARR, TED?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:15 pm

Sweet...that should be your man
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:12 am

I'm sorry to hear this, Donald is a family man and it's a rotten time to be unemployed. Hopefully he had something lined up. Maybe he'll slide over to 660 and join the rest of the 770 news staff.

As for the Breakenridge thing. I'd like to see him move his show to mornings and bump Rutherford to afternoons. Addled could move to a profession more suited to him, like auctioneering, or become a carnie.

Although, I have to admit, I get a bit tired of Breakenridge's callers. He has some regular groupie named "Teresa" who seems to get air on every show, maybe it's his mom, I dunno. But she sounds like she's got a glass full of rye in one hand, and a Marlboro in the other. I swear, I can almost hear the ice clinking in her glass. (To clarify, this is not jealously talking.)

Right now, I'm enjoying Mike Richards in the mornings (one of the advertisers this morning was Stouffer's Rita McNeil frozen entrees, baked ham topped with icing sugar, chocolate flavoured mashed potates, peas with gummies fried in pepperoni grease.....)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:28 am

" I'm sorry to hear this, Donald is a family man and it's a rotten time to be unemployed."

You're kidding right? How many decisions has he been a part of that have affected families that are part of that chain? Never mind the fact that the editorial slant that he fostered or at the very least chose to ignore is one that subscribes to the idea that whatever is good for the market is good for all.

As the kids say, Karma is a bizzle. Now get out there and pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

"Hopefully he had something lined up."

Oh for fucks sake he got booted into the hottest economy in the country, with what was likely a pretty sweet parachute and good snow in the mountians - but yes LET'S start a fucking telethon for the poor man.

"Maybe he'll slide over to 660 and join the rest of the 770 news staff."

Are you on crack? That station has enough trouble. Look maybe Jay is a decent guy, or even your friend, but he was in no way a good new director, and in my opinion was nothing more than a corporate kiss-up... Hold it, you're right, he is perfect for Rogers.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby XFM » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:57 am

Okay, you're right, he would be perfect for Rogers. I just switched to their home phone network and a lot of their phone support people have heavy accents. With the great work on Talk to the Experts it would be refreshing to have a plain talker like Jay in their telemarketing pool.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
XFM
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:05 am

Yep, you got a point there.

I knew you'd smoon.
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta