New Copyright Legislation

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

New Copyright Legislation

Postby PMC » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 am

The Conservative government is now pushing the Copyright legislation.

For the most part, this is a good thing, however the big issue remains about digital locks.

Michael Geist has some great comments on it here http://www.michaelgeist.ca/

As a person that creates software, I want to relate the issue in software terms.

Digital locks fall under Digital Rights Management, otherwise referenced as DRM.

Digital locks are a creation of software. By enforcing digital locks, then digital keys are required to unlock.

DRM based companies will now be rushing to create the ultimate digital lock, and this will then cause many different digital keys to be created to unlock the product so that it can be viewed or read.

This will create a chaos of digital keys for the digital locks. One disc or software program can have one type of lock while another will have a completely different lock and key... lose the key and you have lost your investment in that product.

The legislation wants to criminalize the breaking of a digital lock, thus if you create a software key, the software developer of the key gets to be labeled as a criminal with a heavy fine/jail term. Locks and their reverse keys are created using math. Will math wizards now all get secretly labeled as a possible criminal ? :)

The Apple Corporation and others, have learned through iTunes that the consumer doesn't appreciate digital locks. Why does the government now believe that the consumer will appreciate digital locks.

Digital locks only screw the consumer, they won't stop the criminal element... ask any real locksmith.

Tell your local MP member of parliment, regardless of party, to save you from the chaos of digital locks.
PMC

Re: New Copyright Legislation

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:47 am

How is this thread different than the one that was started 2 days ago? (Which was being ignored)
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:04 am

Howaboutthat wrote:How is this thread different than the one that was started 2 days ago? (Which was being ignored)

This one had an infusion of locked country rock music. :boxer:
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 am

45 RPM wrote:
Howaboutthat wrote:How is this thread different than the one that was started 2 days ago? (Which was being ignored)

This one had an infusion of locked country rock music. :boxer:

Nicely done! :pepper:
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:46 am

If it exists, then I did not see it. The last mention I saw was my own, in reference to what was exposed by the Wikileaks documentation.

Did the previous point out that the legislation approves and recommends the use of digital locks when in fact the locks only screw the consumer ?

As for 45rpm, have you ever contributed any thing intelligent to the world of communication, or must you keep proving that you have an ego ?
PMC

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 am

PMC wrote:

If it exists, then I did not see it. The last mention I saw was my own, in reference to what was exposed by the Wikileaks documentation.

Did the previous point out that the legislation approves and recommends the use of digital locks when in fact the locks only screw the consumer ?

As for 45rpm, have you ever contributed any thing intelligent to the world of communication, or must you keep proving that you have an ego ?

For a tech genius, you're pretty useless at finding things. Click on View Most Recent Posts and you'll find this

viewtopic.php?p=12809967#p12809967
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:38 am

Howaboutthat wrote:For a tech genius, you're pretty useless at finding things. Click on View Most Recent Posts and you'll find this

viewtopic.php?p=12809967#p12809967

I don't consider myself to be a genius, you obviously didn't read my reply, and would prefer to toss dirt like 45rpm.

Find somebody else to piss on... :mousewalk
PMC

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:07 pm

PMC wrote:Find somebody else to piss on... :mousewalk

Nope, you'll do fine.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:21 pm

PMC wrote:As for 45rpm, have you ever contributed any thing intelligent to the world of communication, or must you keep proving that you have an ego ?

No ego here Mr PMC. As for intelligent contributions, I'd suggest you get a new pair of glasses and learn how to read. There is more to life than spending the day listening to New Riders of
The Purple Sage cassettes and smoking fatties while you stare at your Commodore 64.

Allez mangez la merde et faites quelque chose avec votre vie vous gaspillage d'air !
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:38 pm

I am pleased to report that the dissent on digital locks is growing by the thousands, as it should be.

See the latest on Michael Geist's site http://www.michaelgeist.ca/
PMC

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 am

This item from "Broadcast Dialogue" may add to this discussion .....
=======================================================================

October 5, 2011

Independent Producers Pleased CRTC Recognizes the Potential Negative Impact of Over-The-Top Services

The Canadian Media Production Association (CMPA) is pleased the CRTC has recognized the potential negative impact that OTT services could have on our broadcasting system, and that reducing broadcasters’ current Canadian programming obligations is not the solution.
In a report based on a fact-finding mission launched last May, the Commission determined there is no immediate need to introduce regulatory obligations on OTT services, whether foreign or Canadian. However, the Commission says it intends to keep a close eye on OTT developments and will conduct a follow-up fact-finding exercise in the spring of 2012.
“We have always said the best way for broadcasters to compete effectively is to focus on supporting and promoting high-quality Canadian programming,” says Norm Bolen, President and CEO, CMPA.
The fact-finding mission also underscored that new technologies, service providers and customer behavior are undergoing a transformation in the global marketplace. This is having an impact on current business models and associated support for the creation and presentation of Canadian content.
“Today’s report shows the CRTC is taking the OTT issue seriously,” says Bolen. “The CMPA will also continue to monitor the OTT impact closely and will participate fully in the further reviews the Commission has planned,” says Bolen.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News