Shaw Dumps F-Secure for McAfee

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Shaw Dumps F-Secure for McAfee

Postby jon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Shaw Secure had been a way to reduce Shaw's malware-related support calls by providing free anti-malware software. Until now, it has been F-Secure.

If you are a Shaw Internet customer, you may already have received an e-mail telling you that F-Secure is no longer available, and McAfee has taken its place.

Reading the available information on the Shaw site, I came away confused. Anyone not already using F-Secure gets a 6 month trial of McAfee then pays $60/year thereafter. But there is no mention of this for existing F-Secure users.

A Shaw employee on digitalhome.ca confirms that, indeed, as long as you remain a Shaw Internet customer and already have Shaw Secure (F-Secure) installed, you do get McAfee for free.

Opinions vary on McAfee. It is one of the Majors used by many corporations worldwide. Microsoft Security Essentials is free to anyone, and is also a viable alternative for individuals (it doesn't have the tools needed by corporations). Personally, I have to be extra careful, so I pay my money ($10-$30 per year, depending on when I buy it) and use VIPRE, recently purchased by GFI.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News