Windows 8 Phone

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Windows 8 Phone

Postby jon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Silly me, I expected Windows 8 to be available on smartphones on Friday, too. Well, no such luck.

So far, I haven't been able to find a definitive article on the subject, but a fellow at a Rogers kiosk in West Edmonton Mall just told me that he expects to be getting his first shipment of smartphones with Win8 pre-installed by the end of the month. In other words, Hallowe'en, which is this coming Wednesday. Wonder if the first ones will only be available in two tone black and orange.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Windows 8 Phone

Postby jon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Windows 8 Phone was "unveiled" by Microsoft today in San Francisco.

CTV is reporting that Rogers will have the Windows 8-based Nokia Lumia 920 on sale Tuesday for $99 on a three-year contract or $549 without a commitment.

The Financial Post reports that the "Nokia Oyj’s Lumia 920, featuring a 4.5-inch (11-centimeter) screen and an 8.7-megapixel camera, will run on Windows Phone 8. HTC Corp. will sell two devices — the Windows Phone 8X and the 8S — which sport a new design, better audio and a wide-angle camera."
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Windows 8 Phone

Postby jon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Samsung’s Ativ S Windows Phone 8 handset officially launching in Canada next month
http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/10/26/s ... ext-month/
By Florin on 26 Oct 12

Samsung has confirmed that its first (and only, for now) Windows Phone 8 handset – the Ativ S – would be available in Canada starting November. We’ve previously heard that Rogers would offer the Ativ S to Canadian customers, and now Samsung has added three other carriers: Telus, Bell, and SaskTel.

Unfortunately, there’s still no word on how much the Ativ S will cost in Canada.

At 8.7 mm, the Samsung Ativ S is the thinnest Windows Phone 8 handset until now. It features a 4.8 inch Super AMOLED HD display, LTE, 8MP rear camera, 1.9MP front-facing camera, 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB / 32GB of internal memory, and MicroSD card support.

Via Press release
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Computer & Technology News