TV on computer

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

TV on computer

Postby johnsykes » Sat May 18, 2013 6:34 pm

OK...there may be a simple answer....how can I connect a TV HD signal to my Win 8 computer
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: TV on computer

Postby johnsykes » Sat May 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Or vice versa for that matter. Some great stuff on Youtube I'd like to show my wife on the TV, rather than the computer. Thanks as always
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sat May 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Dunno about HD/digital to PC, but streaming the likes of YouTube to TV simply requires hardware.

Telus by default/automatically provides wi-fi modems with its Optik service... so a smart TV... or a wi-fi enabled blu-ray player... or devices such as Apple TV.. deliver through whatever apps are loaded. Apple TV includes YouTube.

Our Sony Blu-Ray requires a wi-fi dongle that costs more than the original price of the player... but a short experiment with Apple TV was quite amusing.
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Do you have an HDMI output on the back of your computer ?

Many video cards have HDMI and VGA.

Look at the back of the tv for the VGA input. and or the HDMI input

Run a cable from the computer VGA out to the tv VGA in, or do the same with the HDMI.

Your regular VGA cable can be used, if it disconnects from your monitor.

Short 30 inch HDMI cables can be had at the Dollar Store for $2.

Your would have to buy a pc-tv card to get hidef input.
PMC

Postby PMC » Sun May 19, 2013 6:22 pm

John, this is a pc-tv that I referenced. There are others that have only basic features

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r2250.html

Did you use the VGA ? Your brand of tv remote device, should let you select the tv input, and that should be VGA or HDMI if that is what you used.

Also, if your screen saver turns off the computer video card, your tv will show the VGA as not available. Press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse, to wake it up and then the tv will get the signal again.
PMC

Postby cgyroof » Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 am

If you want to watch your HDTV anywhere in your home or on the road where-ever you have internet, these little boxes are amazing.

http://www.myvulkano.com/products_volcano_lava.html

I bought two for ~ $450 shipped to Canada and can watch my satellite on my laptop, on my iphone or upstairs.

Really cool technology and much cheaper than SLINGBOX.
cgyroof

Return to Computer & Technology News